1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Which phone?

Discussion in 'General' started by digitaldunc, 7 Mar 2011.

1. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

In short, my current 1G Iphone decided to die, so it's time for a new phone.

Unfortunately I'm pretty out of touch with developments in the smartphone market, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out -- I generally only replace my handset when the previous one is broken but I'm willing to spend on a top of the range handset.

I do *not* want an Iphone, don't suggest one please.

My requirements --

* SIM free -- I want to use my current O2 SIM card.

* Android/Open OS -- as compliant with open standards as possible -- I'd like to be free to run whatever software I want without being tied down to a specific list of paid apps such as the apple store.

* Vibration -- Don't laugh! I hate ringing phones -- I know this is probably a given on every phone in existence but a lot of the spec lists I've looked at don't explicitly state whether the phone does this.

* Cachable maps/GPS -- I believe a lot of the HTC range do this, and it would be incredibly useful given that data coverage in Scotland is pretty pathetic.

* Fast web browsing with flash -- I'm tired of being restricted by a turgid copy of safari -- responsive browser with ad blocking capability is a must.

* Media player with DLNA client/Access to samba shares -- Support for commonly used and open formats would be great so I don't need to transcode as I currently have to -- MP3, AVI (DivX/XviD) , FLAC etc. Access to samba shares so I can directly access media on my NAS would be even better. Not too bothered about the screen res as long as it's passable.

* Timer and alarm clock -- Again, don't laugh, I know it's pretty basic functionality.

* Tethering capability would be handy if I should decide to invest in a laptop sometime in the future, but not a must.

* Battery life -- Sensible -- I don't need it to last a year between charges but I don't want a pathetic battery life.

* Touch screen -- No popout QWERTY please.

I'm thinking HTC Desire S, as I've heard a lot of good things about the desire. Thoughts, comments and suggestions?

2. TSDAdam

TSDAdam Beard!

I've had a Desire since last year and have only got good things to say about it. I know Iphone owners love their phones, but I had an ipod touch too and the comparison between what I can and can't do on that phone beggars belief.
    Android, natch :) Plus you can install apps from the non-official sources (like xda-developers) just by ticking a box in the settings, no need to jailbreak.

The default browser is great, but there are plenty of others if you don't like it. Opera Mini, Dolphin Mini and Firefox all run really nicely for me.

Again, I've had no problems here either, not that I've experimented too much.

Comes as standard.

Really depends what you do with it. You talk about using maps (GPS?) and media streaming, which is going to kill your battery faster, but I use mine with what I'd call moderate use (facebook, mail/twitter updates every 15 minutes, a few youtube vids, couple of games, internet, 20-30 SMS a day) and a full charge lasts me from 7 to midnight easily. Looking at my phone now I have 72% from a 7am turn-on today, that's with wifi on constantly.

In short, Android is very nice, very customisable, and the HTC hardware and software is awesome. I'd have another Desire in a heartbeat.

3. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I second the Desire, I've had one for about a month now and it's lurrrrrvely. The Desire S is indeed coming out soon but it's not a massive change over the current model, forward facing camera and a bit faster processor are the main changes, if you're willing to wait then it'd be worthwhile but you can't go wrong with the original Desire.

Also, hardware buttons kick capacitive buttons' collective arse any day.

Sat nav wise, you'll need to try out a range of apps to see which you like best, some of the cacheable ones need a subscription.
    Vibration is great on it, miles ahead of my old Nokia. Silent alert actually alerts me for a change.

4. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

What about the HTC Incredible S?
    It is basically a HTC Desire S but with a slightly bigger screen and is available now :thumb:

Although as mentioned before it(Desire S/Incredible S) isn't that much of an upgrade from the original desire which is amazing.

In general I don't really think you can go far wrong with getting a HTC Android phone

5. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

Pretty sure I talked Duncan into getting a Desire HD last night on Ventrilo :p

I've tweaked mine a fair bit, getting 4-5 days out of one charge now

6. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

Desire is great, especially once you flash it with custom firmware (XDA forums are an excellent source).

7. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Indeed, I'm swayed by the promise of a potentially well supported cached map app (say that with a mouthful of popcorn!) and Matt ensures me the battery life issue can be addressed with a handy app.

Thanks for the comments guys, it's appreciated.

8. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

What app would this be??? I can get two days of battery from my desire but not any longer than that :(

9. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

I'd say 2 days is pretty good unless you have your phone on standby most of the time. I get 2 days (a little more) out of mine with WiFi on all the time and listening to music on it while I'm at work. Running eMIUI 1.2.4.