1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which processor should i use?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hardflipman, 20 Nov 2004.

1. hardflipman

hardflipman What's a Dremel?

i have a duron 1800 applebred and a palomino xp1800.
    so the question is which would be better to use. the duron seemed to overclock to 166 fsb fine but i can't get it do that anymore. i'll persevere... i got a superpi time of under a minute which was way faster than the xp1700 i was using. but i'm wondering if the xp1800 would be better if i unlock it, chuck the multiplier down a bit and see if i can get 166fsb

any suggestions? i would probably prefer to not have to remove the processor from my machine if there is not going to much benefit in putting the xp1800 in

cheers

2. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

the palmino will be the better of the two, and why shoot for 166? Go for 200 and see where you can go.

3. hardflipman

well, after much testing i'm sticking with the duron i think.
    i can get the duron to 166 fsb and got 59 seconds on superpi and 46fps on halflife2 hardocp demo compared to 148fsb 1.09 seconds superpi and 44fps on half life 2 for the palomino.

don't really know why i couldn't clock tha athlon any higher. it wouldn't post if i stuck the divider to 5:2:1 no matter what the fsb and clearly my unlocking didn't work cos i couldn't change the multiplier either. oh well

4. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

1.09 seconds sounds like a good time to me :D

5. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Well first off you probably didnt unlock it properly, and secondly, of course the duron will seem to OC further, there's much less cache onboard, and thus, more headroom at stock voltage. Start boosting CPU volts.

6. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

The applebreds are damn good chips (for budget jobbies) what week is yours? if tis not superlocked then the extra cache can be unlocked and the multi changed which might make things easier.
    Have had a 1600 to ~ 2.2 quite happily, will go further too, just feed it some volts (but keep an eye on temps)

7. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

i got my super pi time down to 69 seconds with xp 2000+ without over clocking it was 79 seconds + :hip:
    could be alot better if i overclocked it :idea:

8. hardflipman

well the palomino was at 1.9v and the applebred was at 1.8v but you're right about not unlocking it properly but then you'd think i'd still be able to get it to 166fsb or at least 150 with a 5:2:1 ratio

i'm pretty sure the duron is superlocked but 2250mhz is pretty good

9. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

if you unlock it correctly and have the right RAM , you can put the palomino on a 200 mhz FSB ... i found my palomino to be unstable as soon as i got the speed above 1900 mhz ... even @ 2.1 V 31C idle it wouldn't do prime95 longer than 3 minutes ...