1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays which projector

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dave_c, 21 May 2011.

1. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

So my girlfriend has finally given up the argument and said i can turn the second bedroom into a computer room :rock:

So i want to plug a projector into my PC and use it as my main monitor, I'm going to be getting some shutters for the window so the room will be pitch black.

My question is this. what is the "best" projector for around £300 to £400.

I would rather have LED so i don't have to replace the bulb. keeping mind that i use my PC 8-14 hours a day.

Really appreciate the help, this isn't something iv done much with before.

2. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Can't help but congrats on winning the argument, I negotiated for my room and glad I did

3. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I had a computer room once, then had kids so no computer room. LED projectors sound good. I may look into one for filmage since we watch a lot.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

4. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

anyone got any recommendations?

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Personally, I tend to stay away from Sony (mainly because they tend to be overpriced, not because of their quality), brands like Panasonic, LG etc should be fine. Best to see them working in situ if you can - especially if you're looking at DLP models - some people (myself included) suffer from the "rainbow effect" whereby any head movement causes the colours on the screen to separate out; some people see it worse than others.

Using a projector as your main screen is not a good idea - trust me, using a projector screen for that much every day is not good for your eyes. Also bear in mind that most projectors will be limited to 1080p24 or lower ("the less you pay, the less the resolution you get" is a good rule of thumb), and LED projectors tend not to be as bright as bulb-driven projectors. Most projector bulbs will last for 2000 hours or more, which will be 3-4 years from occasional use, but probably less than a year if you're using it for 8-10 hours a day.

My recommendation would be to use a monitor for your day-to-day work and use the projector for games and movies.

Rather than using shutters, I would also recommend blackout blinds - slatted shutters will still let light through, where blackout blinds will block most (if not all) of the light - an even better solution is to use both as that will guarantee complete darkness (assuming you can close the door)

6. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

thanks for the advice, think i will go with the blackouts rather than shutters, (cheaper) still think im going to stick with the LED projectors though, they may be dimmer but in a pitch black room, i don't think that will be a problem.

why do you say that it will be bad for my eyes? because the room is so dark?

really appreciate the advice so far, thanks

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Simply because the image won't be as clear as looking at a monitor - even with a high-end projector, you still won't get the same clarity - and most LED projectors in your price range will be 800x600 (most likely) or 1024x768 at best.

Even in a totally blackened room - especially if you're projecting onto a wall rather than a dedicated projector screen - the difference between LED & traditional bulb projectors is night and day.