1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which PSU is right for me?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by El_JimBob, 5 Feb 2004.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

you could choose pretty much everything that has been suggested and you wouldn't be disappointed... the names that have been mentioned are all high quality PSUs which people have had good results with. The choice is practically what sticker you want on your PSU these days, there are so many adequate power supplies out there now.

2. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

Yeh, i know that :)
    Still, it would be nice to see a PSU round up - Bit-Tech havent done one for a while, and it would help peeps askin the same question.

3. larrymoencurly

larrymoencurly What's a Dremel?

Has there ever been a review of a power supply that wasn't highly positive about its performance, except maybe for noise?

4. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Probably not, but just for a laugh I direct you to Cheese's review of the Thermaltake PurePower PSU (here) which is the funniest review I think I've ever seen on Bit.

"It's dangerous for a reviewer to make generalisations of the quality of products from a specific supplier, after all you're supposed to be bias-free and if I were to make a sweeping statement such as 'Thermaltake don't make a product I'd buy given a choice' I'd probably expect to not receive any mail from them in the future. Well no parcels at any rate. Thermaltake don't make a product I'd buy given a choice."

...and...

"It's been a long time since I've seen such a good example of pre-modded tat, if you buy this supply I'll laugh at you."

:hehe:

5. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Honest reviews are the only way to go. Whats the point of a review if it won't truly tell you the short comings of the product other than to see pretty pics? If it's a piece of crap it should be noted so!

6. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

aaaaaah, and THATS why ill never touch anything by Thermaltake - Im sure the PSU is great....but just LOOK at it!!!!!! :)
    Its funny.....a vendor at a puter fair i went to a few months ago spotted me eyeing up his stupidly ugly Xaser full tower case and, assuming i was interested in the vile beast, started to reel off a list of 'features' to me. All i could say was, 'sorry, i wouldnt use this case even if you paid me to'....
    Nearly £100 for a pre-mod case that looks so bad, as soon as you get it home you have to mod it........what a world.........

Pylon....it WAS an honest review :naughty:

aaaanyways.....back to the PSU chat - keep these recommendations comin - im gonna bleed u all dry :)

7. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

LOL... Check out this thread to see just how knowledgable TT is too!
    Really makes me want to use their equipment in my next killer rig!! <--sarcasm

8. mieleton

mieleton What's a Dremel?

Disclaimer: I'm not suggesting to buy any of the products mentioned in my post, I'm just posting my opinions. (I don't want to hear comments like "I bought xxx and it's crap and it's your fault because you suggested to buy it) ;)

But yeah, back to the topic. I have two Enermax 350W PSUs (the cheapest model without manual fan speed control) and I'm very pleased with both of them. They provide enough power for workstation use and they're really quiet, in my opinion. I also have Antec TruePower 430W PSU in my server, and I must admit that it's really powerfull, but I wouldn't use it in my workstations, because it's not so quiet than the Enermax PSUs...

So, in my opinion, Antec PSUs are not the quietest around...

9. Kameleon

I think if anyone said anything like that you'd be quite justified in giving them a metaphorical (or literal, for that matter) kick in the bollocks :p. We're not quite like that here, don't be worried about giving buying advice. And welcome to bit-tech! :thumb:

10. Darv

Darv Bling!!

That one does look ****ing awful but it's not the only one they do. There's the Silent Purepower one which actually looks very nice. :thumb:

But does anyone know where you can buy a Zalman ZM400B-APS PSU??

11. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

people may knock the qtec psus because they r so cheap.

but the truth is THEY R VERY QUITE, THEY R PRETTY DAMN GOOD, the only flaw is that they have a short life span...many last only a year

12. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

What happens after 1 year then? :confused: :eyebrow: :eeek:

13. sk8o

sk8o What's a Dremel?

they go the way of the dodo, ;)

14. chadwick

chadwick What's a Dremel?

totally unreliable to..u have to b lucky to get a decent q-tec psu...hell i say that but my true blue blew up so i cant talk tbh :)

15. Kameleon

/me looks at Q-tec PSU, still running after 11 months and change...

I'll tell you in a couple weeks, mmkay? :D

This thing isn't quiet, but the rails on it are brilliant, better than any other PSU I own (without modding) - it's going at 3.31V/5.00V/11.98V at the moment, of course my TP480 is gonna pwn it when I thwack the 3.3V up to 3.7 or so...;)

16. Darv

Darv Bling!!

If you think a Q-tec is quiet then you've never heard a Zalman PSU. They are so much quieter!! (I'm loving my brand spanking new one :D)

The only really good thing about eh Q-tec is the dual fans do help cool the case and they are dirt cheap if you need a spare one or something.

17. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

One of the fans is dieing on mine and making awfull noises so i mite have to swap them for a pair of evercools ive got sat arround somewhere.

18. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

Finally made a decision guys :)
    Thanks to babelfish and a host of german tech sites, I finally decided that a Tagan 480W PSU was the one for me, after laying my eyes on its gorgeous frame in CustomPC mag.
    And the day after I order, the site i trust the most does a stellar review on it :)

Bit-tech!!! I finally beat you to the punch!!!! Yayyyyy!!!!!!!!!

Will let u all know exactly how good it is tomorrow when it arrives :)

.......and thanx to all you guys here for the help - sorry I ignored it all :lol: