1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Which radiator for which components?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Teh Noob Slayer, 17 May 2010.

1. Teh Noob Slayer

Teh Noob Slayer What's a Dremel?

Hi there, newbie here.

I have a question about airflow and best cooling solution for a two rad system.

I currently have an older Cosmos 1000 case with a 240 running an i7 at 3.8 gig and single pcb gtx 295 but i want to upgrade the case. (to make it quieter)

I am currently building and modding an 840 ATCS case with a RX360 xspc rad at the top and a RX240 xspc rad at the bottom with dual laing ddc pumps.( 2 separate loops)

The airflow IN the case is the 230mm fan at the front and 2x 120mm fans sucking air in from the bottom of the case.

The airflow OUT is 3x 120mm fans at the top blowing out of the rad and case and one 1x 120 fan blowing out from the back of the case.

1. But currently my question is should i used the 240 rad for the cpu or the 360 rad?
    The gtx295 has tdp of 285W (i think) and the CPU OC has TDP of 200 W.

Im thinking the 240 rad will be ok as its not a heavily OC CPU and it is sucking cool fresh air from the bottom. If I use the 240 rad for the GPU then it might create more hot air air in the case and then have this hot air flowing through the 360 rad causing CPU temps to rise?

2.If I were to upgrade to two nvidia 500 series SLI/ 6000 ATI X fire cards in the FUTURE (Yes i know they dont exist right now), considering the current GPU TDPs, the GPUS would be better suited to the 360 rad right?

btw. I am using gentle typhoon 1450 rpm fans on the rads, i highly reccommend them!

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Tbh I'd have the 360 on the GPU and the 240 on the CPU. If you're thinking of getting two high-TDP cards, I'd get a second 240, just to be sure

You might want some positive airflow in there, instead of having the amount of dust being sucked into your case that you have now :p

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Don't forget your CPU will generally be generating more heat than the 295 as the GPUs will only be under load during games whereas the CPU will see more more use in things like web browsing, video playback and editing. As you're not cooling any chipsets, I'd be inclined to go with a single loop, maybe with a dual pump top to keep up the flow rate and pressure. That way, the two rads will be available to both CPU and GPUs.