1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding which software touse for CAD design?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by PurE GaminG, 2 May 2013.

1. PurE GaminG

PurE GaminG New Member

hey modders

just quick qestion, ive been told to create cad for my deisgn so that the company could use for thier router machine to cut the acrylic. problem is which software do i use .

i have photoshop cs6 could i i use that and covert it to cad file?.

or do i need a deadicated cad software.

thanks

if you need more info please ask

2. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I always use Autodesk AutoCAD to create the files for laser cutting. It's by far the best software for creating 2D plans.

If you're a student you can gain free access to all of Autodesk's software here.

3. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

Our lasercutter accepts vector images as input, so we use (free & open source) inkscape. I don't know about theirs, however

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cad.htm

A graphic design-based program like Illustrator probably won't work. Find out what file types they prefer/need and work from there.

If you drew the original design in Sketchup, there's a dxf exporter plugin that does a great job with flattened objects. It will need to be re- drawn in a proper cad program to get real arcs and such. -I find tracing SU dxfs goes faster than drawing from scratch in a cad software, though.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A "free as in beer" AutoCAD clone is "Draftsight" from Dassault Systeme - it runs on Windows, Mac or Linux.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Double post, ignore this.