1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Which Sound Card for around £100?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thetrashcanman, 23 Apr 2011.

1. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Right now here goes, I have very little clue about sound cards, but I know I want one as the on board audio is pretty pants, as I said in the title have about £100 to spend, less would be better, but I also don't mind going over if I feel the card is really worth it. Now I know bit tech recommend the asus Xonar DX pcie soundcard, which looks pretty good, (although then again not knowing anything, i may be wrong)

one thing is the card needs to be able to fit in either a pci e 1x slot or 4x, also I wouldn't mind if it was possible to be able to record using the sound card, or am a being a complete noob and this has nothing to do with the sound card what so ever and more related to the mic you use?

Anyway thanks for any help in advanced :)

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

auzen x-fi bravura has some nice features at just within your budget.

while good mics are important, you need a decent card as well to avoid noise, distortions, etc introduced by a low end soundcard. unless you're playing death metal, punk or something similar where it likely won't make much difference honestly.

3. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Ha!, as it happens I do play a lot of metal/death metal, but thanks for the advice shall take a look at the auzen, which is quite ironic as I've just watched an unboxing of that :D

4. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

You can go for thr asus d2x brilliant soundcard available for around the £80 mark

5. Kroy

Kroy Member

how serious are you about the recording side of things?

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

My vote is on the ASUS Xonar d2x.

The shield plate should help provide better recording quality.

Of course, anything with analogue need to be super high quality from point A to Z to get the most of it.

7. jkresh

jkresh New Member

what are you connecting to the sound card and what do you mainly listen to (ie music (if so what genre), movies, games...)? There are some cards that are better with headphones, others that can pass hdmi out if you are connecting to a receiver (though in that case a recent graphics card which can pass audio over hdmi might be a better idea), some are better for music and others are better with surround. The more information you give the better recommendations you should get.

8. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Xonar DX, great sound card for the money.

9. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

+1

I'm with you on this one.
    Bought on recommendation by CPC and not disappointed.

10. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

+1 for asus, creative have gone down the pan a bit in recent years.

Also @lysol I like my death metal of the highest fidelity! :D thought I admit if its something like Wolves In The Throne Room I maybe couldnt tell because it sounds like static anyway . . .

11. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

i was more in reference to recording, when you want a 'raw' sound anyway. as a little extra gain, or slight noise introduced while recording can actually help you get that sound. but you're right it depends on the particular sub-style as well.
    also if you're going to have more focus in home recording you might look into some of the entry level m-audio or esi cards as well. as they have useful features for recording like 1/4" jacks, multiple input lines instead of 5.1 out, etc.

12. pullet_surprise

pullet_surprise New Member

Yup +1

13. NeilJM

NeilJM New Member

Thought I should chime in as my day job is in recording.
    If your primary intention is gaming with recording as an afterthought, I'd stick with a creative/auzen/xonar etc, because a recording interface generally won't do any sort of EAX etc.
    However if you want decent recording quality you'll find it best to at least get something with a proper balanced microphone input and preamp, like this one at your budget.
    http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/m-audio-fast-track--68396

After that though, you largely hit the nail on the head with your first comment - the microphone is key. Your choice and equally your positioning of the mic (plus your acoustic environment) will be about 90% of your sound, with the rest being your preamp and convertor. (Unless of course they're like... BALLS wrong.)

With reference to comments about a more raw sound - at this end of the market, I wouldn't advise that approach. Useful, ballsy sounding dirt comes from overdriving discrete amps, decent tranformers or full voltage valves that you're not going to find below around the £500/channel mark. Overdriving IC (chip) based gear just makes nasties, I wouldn't worry about it :) Not to mention that the current trend in metal production is to go as OTT spanky sparkly clean and modern sounding as possible.

The choice of interface at this point then becomes a feature thing - if you're just recording guitars to software drums etc, then the instrument-only boxes with bundled amp sims are a bargain.

Hope this is useful,

Neil