1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Which sound card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marvin-HHGTTG, 16 Dec 2010.

1. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

I currently have an Asus Xonar D1 on a P6X58D-E. Now I've gone SLI (and despite having 'single slot' waterblocks on the cards) the D1 no longer has a place on the board.

Now, basically this leaves me with the PCI-E x1 slot before the first full slot, so my choices basically revolve around:
    -Asus Xonar DX - £56.38
    -Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium (OEM version so I can save monies...) - £66.96
    -Asus Xonar D2X Ultra Fidelity if it's really worth it over the DX - £83.18
    -Creative X-Fi Xtreme audio - £55.70
    -Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - £62.97

I'm not an audiophile as such, but I do definitely value a decent sound card to drive my Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones, and for 3D sound virtualisation. I very much liked the sound of the D1.

Now also, this is going to sound anal, but I like wires to be kept to a minimum, so an added bonus would be if the card draws its power from the PCI-E slot.

Thanks for any help.

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Asus Xonar.
    X-Fi are really nice, as long as it works. I had one installed and kept with it over a few motherboards, despite the drivers being buggy (I'd keep having to install them as it'd only give me the spdif output every now and again). It's been replaced with a Xonar and tbh I wish I'd done it sooner as I've had no problems with the new card so far.

3. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

I have the X-Fi Titanium and it works wonderfully, the drivers aren't that bad.

4. Marvin-HHGTTG

That's the thing. I originally went with the Xonar due to the Creative driver problems, though surely no-one would have Creative if they were that bad. :eyebrow:

On the other hand, the Xonars do just work (generally, though Asus' drivers aren't all that either), though it's always nice to try something else...

Anyone else with some views on the subject?

Edit: just did some reading around. I'll get a Xonar...

Last edited: 16 Dec 2010
  5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

get the Dx, i don't really see any point in getthing the D2X, and where's that fancy Ultra Fidelity name coming from?

besides, i think Dx have front panel connectors, D2X doesn't, so i still leave my onboard turned on, so my front panel will work if i wanted to use headphones.

6. Marvin-HHGTTG

I'll take that from a D2X owner, thanks!

DX it is...

The Ultra Fidelity is in Scan's product title for the D2X. New version?

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

As a Creative X-Fi user, and experience the Xonar.
    All I can say, is BOTH sound cards are very good. HOWEVER, ASUS Xonar wins due to their better drivers, and best system compatibility.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

looked on scan, nothing new, same version i've had for nearly a year now.

i would have bought Dx myself, Asus was nice and gave me this D2X for a competition last year. :D

9. Marvin-HHGTTG

Cool, just placed my order for a DX with Scan, since I've been suspended from OcUK for 2 days because I dared to ask for a split in the sale section, so they removed my free shipping too. Oh well, cost them a £150 order...