1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Which Tablet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RaisingCain, 27 Oct 2012.

1. RaisingCain

RaisingCain What's a Dremel?

So I'm thinking about picking up a tablet but i have no clue what to get. I plan on using it mostly for watching TV shows,movies,youtube and some light internet browsing.

So any idea what tablet I should get?

2. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

The question is how you want to spend

3. RaisingCain

RaisingCain What's a Dremel?

Around £350.

4. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I would wait for the new nexus 7 32gb

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

An iPad, or if you hate apple for whatever reason the microsoft surface would maybe be a good alternative. And if you hate windows 8 for whatever reason, asus so some good android tablets :)

6. rollo

rollo Modder

For content consumption apple wins by a landslide. Productivity look at the surface.

Nexus 7 is a nice thing to take around with you but too small for viewing films on.

7. Ferino

Ferino Minimodder

I would go iPad for general ease of use. I mostly run pc and windows based stuff, but the iPad is great for just sitting on the sofa, surfing or streaming stuff from the server if the Mrs is watching the T.V.

8. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

The Nexus 10 will also be coming out imminently with some really impressive specs, so that should be under consideration, too.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

for 50 pounds more, you can get the sweet Microsoft Surface RT.
    Here is an unboxing:

One thing the video has wrong is that the Windows RT is suppose to support an extra wide selection of printer via its USB ports.

If you have Windows 8, your purchase apps from the Windows store will work on both, without the need to purchase them again. Also you have XBox Music, which mean:
    -> Free streaming of 30 million songs for free with ads
    -> Unlimited download and streaming if 30millions songs for 10$ per month (I think its cheaper in the U.K)
    You can use an XBox 360 controller via the USB port, but so far no demo of that, let alone game that support it. Well it's freaking new, what do you want.

You have a desktop, so you have access to a proper file management system too, and you have Office.
    To add: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1RYUW7kjUA#t=1h16m22s

Last edited: 28 Oct 2012
  10. GoodBytes

delete

11. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Have you got one yet goodbytes?

12. GoodBytes

No. Personally I am more interested in the Surface Pro, as I am a student at University. So having pen support is more important for me. Plus I need to run Visual Studio (for C++) or Eclipse (for Java) for my assignments. Then again, also I am very comfortable with my 4 year old Dell Latitude E6400, running Windows 8 64-bit (7 64-bit before that, and make that Vista 64-bit before that as well), and has about 11h of battery life. So we have to see.

13. Loafers

Loafers What's a Dremel?

None. Based on the information provided, you can do all of that on a computer (better quality and more efficient I might add). The question then is, do you really need that stuff available everywhere you go?

If yes, then I'd pick a genericy $200 tablet from Google or Amazon and pray they don't release something nicer within 6 months.

14. Thaifood

Thaifood Minimodder

Wow the windows tablets looks sweet. Out in the uk yet?

15. GoodBytes

Yes.
    Product page: http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-GB/surface-with-windows-rt/specifications
    Store: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/productID.258666000?WT.mc_id=FY13WinHH

The pressure sensitive keyboard is called Touch Cover
    The thicker, but physical keyboard is called Type Cover.

From what I can see in the U.K, the Surface is selling very well. The 32GB Model and 32GB with Touch Cover bundle are both sold out. You have to wait 3 weeks.

16. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I may be in a minority here but I prefer the type cover over the touch cover. I have a galaxy tab 2 and still prefer pulling out the bluetooth keyboard to type things out. Probably because you cant touchtype on the other but i still find it more satisfying to use weirdly.

Re tablet choice what are you planning to use it for? I bought mine to use on trains etc but im using it more and more instead of the pc.

17. GoodBytes

You are not. The Touch Cover is designed for light typing. It uses pressure and not touch to detect key presses, so its not like typing on the screen, which is smart. It's not designed to type documents. You may want to light edit a text, or casual typing or messages, e-mails and so on. Nothing big.

The Type Cover is for the more demanding work. But it is heavier ('cause you have more plastic for the key system), and thicker ('cause you need space for the keys to be pressed). Is it like a desktop keyboard, or mechanical keyboard? No, of course not. It has to be thin. So, I won't type a book on it. But document I can see myself do it.

Of course, you can use any Bluetooth keyboard and mouse just fine, if you prefer that.

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Ars Technica's review suggests that the Touchcover is easier to type on because of the physical separation gap of the keys, whereas on the Typecover the keys abut with the smallest of gaps, making it easier to accidentally hit the wrong one. They recommend not making assumptions based on their construction but trying each to find out which suits your personal preferences best.

19. Virus44

Virus44 What's a Dremel?

just get a ipad :thumbsup;

20. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Them new windows tablets look sweet.