1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which very quiet cooler for XP2500+ on a NF7 v2.0??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpeedFreak, 23 Jan 2004.

1. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

in the process of upgrading and i was gonna go for a zalman 7000 cu cooler for the CPU but it doesnt look like its gonna fit (the HSF will come too close to my PSU) so im after suggestions for a good quiet cooler which i can use (as close to silent as possible) on my 2500+ for some overclocking....

I dont really wanna spend anymore than 30-40 quid

Any suggestions?

Cheers

2. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Well, there goes my suggestion :D

I assume you also know you'd have had to dremel the clip and bend some caps over to make the 7000 fit ;)

3. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

why?

4. Kameleon

The NF7 has caps in all the wrong places, firstly you'll have to swap the two supports (blue and silver) which means that the HSF will be slightly off-centre, but not enough to matter. What does matter is that the bar which goes through the middle of the HSF is too long, so it won't go onto the board without some trimming (you have to remove the hole designed for A64 usage, not hard to do but then you can't use the sink for all its designed purposes). The sink will fit, but not exactly as intended ;)

Last edited: 23 Jan 2004
  5. SpeedFreak

so what your saying is - it can be done without too much danger to the mobo and only a minor bit of moddage on the part of the heatsink? is this is the case then i may go down that route because the zalman is one damn sexy and quiet cooler!

My only other concern is that the PSU in my lian li pc60 may be slightly too close to the top of the mobo. i have approx 20mm clearance from the top of my epox 8kha+ to the base of my PSU - will that be enough?

Cheers!

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

This is why I buggered off to water :p

7. Kameleon

Check my sig - I'm running an NF7 with a 7000 in a PC60, and since all PSUs are the same size, you'd think it'd work ;)

8. olv

olv he's so bright

Yeh but the cpu socket is in a different position on every board so might not work on his current board.

9. Kameleon

Read the thread title? :) As I understand it, he wants the 7000 for his NF7 and only has the epox board as a guide to distances.

10. SpeedFreak

Right. and im quoting the distance from the top edge of the board to base of the psu which will be the same for all ATX and mATX boards.

Cheers!

11. SpeedFreak

sweetness! ok, that does it - i'll go for that one. do i really need a dremel to mod the end or could i just bend it/use a hacksaw?

Cheers!

12. Kameleon

Hacksaw should be fine, I think that's what a mate of mine used and it's fine. You might wanna file it down after though, you don't want vibrations to make it cut into your caps :D

13. batsman

batsman the quiet one

i'm using a cooler master aero 7 lite on mine 2500+ & nf7v2.0-s
    has the variable speed control, is set in the middle at the mo, so pretty quite but still effective.

think the load temp is about 50 and idle about 40, will have to check those temps as i dont use that machine much

14. Kameleon

If you can hear it, it's not quiet. I can't hear my 7000 when it's set on low with the FanMate, though I never use it because I can't hear it when it's in my case on full speed either :D

15. batsman

batsman the quiet one

lol, its really the case of i can't hear it as of the case fan's / psu. i'm not really bothers by a bit of noise from the pc.

what are your temps like kameleon, might have to get zalman, if they are good.

16. Kameleon

My temps are about the same as yours, but I assume (rightly or wrongly) that I've overclocked my rig a wee bit more than you have, I'm putting 1.93v through my CPU currently and it's running at 45°C, which is excellent bearing in mind that my case is encapsulated in a very insulating wooden desk ;) A mate who just put together a similar system is getting about 35°C at full load, stock speeds. You have to remember, though, that the HSF is stupidly heavy and large :D

17. batsman

batsman the quiet one

you assume rightly, i'm at stock voltage and 9.5 * 200 for the 400 fsb.

think i will deffinatly get one, if you're getting 45 @ 1.93v, the mod isn't too hard is it? and the stabilty is that good?

18. SpeedFreak

my cnps7000-a Cu and black heatpipe graphics card cooler are in the mail! :D

19. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

Just so you know. It looks like it won't fit but it does. It like fits but barely. Its a good choice!

20. Gums

Gums What's a Dremel?

i got a Thermalright SLK-900 and a Panaflo 92mm fan on it... runs very well... :) i have a asus board tho