1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Which ways up?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [GiB] Spawny, 24 Apr 2002.

1. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

Well things are starting to take shape on on my beginners guide to water cooling the stuff has arrived and now I can start planning the road ahead.

I've bought the bits I need off IronFire as it suited my needs for the project and my pocket!

The rad is a heater matrix from a ford transit and has the in and outlets at the same point in one corner.

[​IMG]

I have a neat idea where this will be put in the case but was sure if the the rad needed placing with the barbs at the top or bottom. For where I want to put the rad the barbs will need be at the bottom.

So will the pump (Ehiem 1250) push the water up and around ok?

I going to engineer the connectors as they need a bend on them to clear an obstacle and for getting the hose on.

2. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Thats a good question, i kinda had the same issue myself with the black ice extreme. I ended up mounting the thing sideways (the barbs are on the left side) and use the top as the "in" and the bottom as the "out". But i'm not sure if putting the rad with the barbs on the bottom would stress the pump.

As a bit of a side note..Spawny, how much water is actually going through your first system. I filled mine up for the first time yesterday and it seems like i'm using alot of h20.

3. [GiB] Spawny

I've take this rad to the local rad shop and given me more ideas than I went in with.

He can build me a custom rad for £65 quid 125mm squared or mod a Rover one he's got in stock or I can buy one of the shelf at one of the overclocking sites.

I will ponder this. :idea:

4. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

as long as ur pump can push it threw the system it doesnt really matter...whats a rover radiator? never herd of it.....its kinda all up to ur space.....

5. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

I think he means a rad from a land rover...or i could be wrong :dude:

6. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

no way in hell you could mount the rad out of a land rover IN the case.... though it'd certainly be good for cooling

7. [GiB] Spawny

The pump is a Ehiem 1250 with 1/2" connectors. The rover rad is the make of car and is the Heater Matrix.

To keep the project local and some unique ness I like the idea of a home made customer built rad to my specifications.

It does however bump the price up which I find a little steep?

Another point is I could pop in and take some images of it being built or modified?

But that leaves me with a spare rad?

I will consult TiTch on my next move.

8. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

land rover radiators are fantastic, i got one from my dads old series III & mounted it outside where there is a continuous breeze & it always stays cold (fanless yipee)

9. [GiB] Spawny

Sounds great, have you a picture?

Like to know how you engineered that :eeek:

10. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

LOL....sorry i just found that funny

11. samuelellis

were you talking 2me cos if you were then nope ihave no pics but i am writing a wlakthrough for it as we speak (will be finished after i finish college) & it was not that hard, as my room is an extension, i managed to find a breezy gap to moutn the radioator outside

12. [GiB] Spawny

Yes it was you samuelellis, look forward to seeing that as I have an idea to do something similiar at my new place :D

All depends on what the GF say's :eyebrow:

13. samuelellis

well i live @ home with my parents so imagine the arguements over putting holes in the all for my pc cooler (especialy as my aprents do not understand watercooling) shame i dont have a gf to argue with (being single sux!!) anyway it was basicalyy the same as a regulair setup but with longer pipes running outside & a small heater i had to add into the radiator for when it drops below freezing outside (thank god britain is a cool climate, a am working on putting up how i did it with diagrams but coursework comes first

14. [GiB] Spawny

I'm toying with the idea of a Car rad on the back wall off my new computer room. This is a converted granite shed attached to the main house. It's on the back burner at the moment as the room is still being built by me at the weekends.

Living in Guernsey its very rare we get frost or it freezes so a heater wouldn't be required.

I want to get into making and testing my own blocks and water-cooling hardware and will be rigging up a benched water system to test various experiments and hardware. This will act as a backup supply or additional cooling for the water-cooled PC in the computer room.

All takes time though, but the idea is there :D

Tags: