1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Which Wired Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LeMaltor, 26 Oct 2011.

1. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I need a wired router, I don't really want to spend more than £30-50 but I have no idea about which to get as I have never had one before or even if my budget is realistic.

I absolutly don't want a wireless one or one that even does wireless, as I don't want even the remote possibility of anyone DLing things they shouldn't off it.

I have Virgin cable BB and live in the UK, I need the conn to share between 4 comps, but 5 would be better so I can just stick the PS3 on it too.

Thanks for any help :thumb:

edit: Or can I get away with just a switch? I don't know what they are either >_<

2. Jeevus

Jeevus Minimodder

Do you have the older separate modem and router or the Superhub (all-in-one)?

3. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I have the modem, goes from modem to comp at moment. Theres a big distance between the two as well, my comps are no where near my modem, thats downstairs, comps are upstairs. No good with the superhub splitting the conn downstairs then having to run 5 wires upstairs.

I just want to run one wire up here and split it in the comp room.

4. Jeevus

Jeevus Minimodder

5. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

check the b-tech market place they had a 100Mb one going for around 13 I think :)

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I agree a basic Xport gigabit switch would be more ideal for your application. Since most modems these days are actually 1port routers, there is no reason to get an additional router for wired. You end up using it as a switch anyway since you must disable a 2nd routers dhcp server etc. Switches are also about half the price and are often available in much more robust metal enclosures. The one linked by Jeevus is a good example. Others I have personal good experience with are trendnet (often cheaper than netgear and just as good) and HP (though mostly over the top and likely out of budget).

7. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Watch out though. If the modem assigns the computer directly linked to it an address not similar to 192.168.*.*, 172.16.*.*, or 10.*.*.*, then you need a router connected to the modem. A switch simply gives the modem multiple connections - which means that your ISP would need to give out separate IPs for each connected computer. Which is impossible. So a router connects to the modem, and then switches extend the functionality of the router. Of course, if the modem does give out a private IP address on the inside, then all you need is a switch. Somehow I doubt it though.

8. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I picked up a Dlink 8 port Gb switch for about £15 on ebay a few years ago and it's done me proud.
    However, if you only need to share internet around then 100Mb is fine, Gb comes into it's own if you're transfering files around, or streaming files.

9. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I've ordered a very cheap router, it should come tomorrow, I will report back if it works or not.