1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Which would be quicker?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Micky2Shoes, 28 Dec 2010.

1. Micky2Shoes

Micky2Shoes New Member

I have an i5 rig built by my cousin 6 months ago, it's a 750 over-clocked to 3.8 gig, with 4 gig memory which is a corsair dual chan kit. I use this pc for everyday use and then i also play games such as modern warfare 2, left for dead 2, f1 2010 etc. The pc at the moment never misses a bit, it performs everything very nice, never sat around waiting, and i get good fsp in games as he put a 5870 in.

I am now working with virtual machines and i am findining myself using up 85-95% of my physical memory when i'm running more than 1 depending on what memory I give the virtual machine but atm i am running a dc, exchange box, and some clients etc so I need to run more

I can buy the same dual channel kit in the pc at the moment for £45 which would take me to 8gb which should be enough for my virtual work but obviously i will lose my overclock of 3.8. If i ditch the overclock and go back to stock 2.66 gig, do you think i'll notice the extra cpu power missing when general browsing, email, and more specifically gaming?

Thoughts?

2. sb1991

sb1991 New Member

You shouldn't need to lose the overclock completely, just reduce the memory multiplier if it becomes unstable. Having more memory makes a bigger difference than having faster memory.

3. Remeniz

Remeniz Muted!

You won't notice the difference while browsing and stuff but you will loose some FPS during gaming although I don't think it'll be much.

4. Uxon

Uxon Member

Agree with this, should still be able to manage a decent overclock with 8 gig of RAM. 3.4GHz+ should still be quite possible.

5. cdb

cdb No comment

Why should the overclock be affected at all? What do I not know here?

I have an I7 860 running 3.8Ghz with 8G ram. I didn't think the amount of ram affected anything to do with overclocking?

6. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

Hi

we use VM's at work and memory is king. Why not get rid of your old 4gb kit and get a new 8gb (2x4gb) kit. this will give you the option to increase your memory to 16 gb if you fancy at a later date

Last edited: 28 Dec 2010