1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress "White Ball" 24h Livemodding @DCMM by Paladin and modding-extreme

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Paladin | Patrick, 24 Aug 2012.

  1. Paladin | Patrick

    Paladin | Patrick LiveModder

    Joined:
    6 Jul 2010
    Posts:
    179
    Likes Received:
    8
    [​IMG]
    Third Place in the 24 Live Modding on DCMM 2012 (German CaseMod Championship)


    [​IMG]

    This project, "White Ball" was created in 24 hours on the German Casemod Championship (DCMM) and is based on a [url = 'http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/prodigy/'] [color = # 1F497D] BitFenix ​​Prodigy Mini-ITX Case [/ color] [/ url] and 160L expansion tank of a heating system [/ b].
    Nemesis (Oliver Peier) and I went on to consider what we should do as a mod for 24 DCMM. I said that I have are a metal ball around.

    Then, when we had the more basic considerations were spun. "We could be open." Well, and what else? "Turn it could be if it is still open"

    So then the idea was born, but the difficulties were only going to fruition all the movements well. Each of us then has brought a whole sweeping materials on the DCMM with and it could then go off immediately cut open the "thing" inside and grind off the rust.

    Das ist das BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX Case...

    [​IMG]

    ...and here the expansion vessel

    [​IMG]

    Of the cut, we have no images, but if anyone should have such please give notice, and they come here to do so.

    Then we went to the clean up of the two halves.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    So you then look out afterwards :p

    [​IMG]

    The edges I simply sanded smooth with the belt sander.

    [​IMG]

    The ball also had few dents and connections that had to be closed.
    So I had to paint from...

    [​IMG]

    ...from a piece of 2 mm iron cut a circle and a little beaten around...

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    ...and welded.
    The weld seam I first wanted to go through quite habs but then changed his mind, since there is no power coming on it.

    [​IMG]

    Here you can see how it has been smoothed.
    Oli here prepares the 2nd Hole had to be closed before that.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Then Oli had everything sanded smooth..

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I have in the meantime prepare the sheet on which the drawer slides were mounted.

    [​IMG]

    Everything was then threaded onto a threaded rod which is fixed to a metal cross with castors. This was once a sales stand.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The two hemispheres were then welded to the drawer slides.

    [​IMG]

    Here you can see how large is pretty even throughout.

    [​IMG]

    For the power supply of the computer I cut 3 slits in the threaded rod. These cables were then attached with superglue.

    [​IMG]

    To hide the cables we made an aluminum tube about it.

    [​IMG]

    Here we go with the moving elements.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Here then the finished gears. The engine looks to be here has not been installed because he was too weak. We have 3 tries, used an engine of the other teams to see who could move the ball to the 30 kilos.
    Thanks again to Jens and Alex

    [​IMG]

    For the opening mechanism we needed grinder transmit the power to the moving part of the whole.
    First, we tried to milling grooves in the Plexi, and since then solder to pour pure. But this has not worked out then.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    So the whole fix then only times on the turntable...

    [​IMG]

    ...and make a grinding disc from a dibond plate (aluminum / plastic / aluminum composite panel).
    Oli has to simply cut with a dremel grooves purely to plastics.

    [​IMG]

    I then subsequently made ​​the screws in and isolated with a 1mm thin plastic plate model. Then it could be the cable attached.

    [​IMG]

    Here Oli prepares before the recess for the motor is Please direct opening.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I then subsequently attached the racks with glue on the drawer rails. This I had to grind thin but previously been reduced to 1 mm.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    To attach the motor I made a small metal plate on the motor was bolted and then welded.

    [​IMG]

    In the meantime, Oli has bent the acrylic strips to promote it stick.

    [​IMG]

    After the engine was in it the whole time we have primed and made ​​the black plate, only then came the turn of the acrylic.

    [​IMG]

    5 minutes before the countdown ends, we actually even came to painting

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Here is a time lapse video
     
    Last edited: 24 Aug 2012

Share This Page