1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Who do you trust for PC Hardware Review etc?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 24 Aug 2011.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

There are so many different tech sites around these days, and its often hard to know who to trust. I was wondering, apart from Bit Tech, which other sites do you trust for good PC hardware reviews, reliable news etc.

Though their output is low, Anandtech in my eyes, is without doubt the best, most in depth site on the net. Their 'bench' section is also very very good for comparing GPUs and CPUs performance.

Second of all, I've recently been reading a lot of Guru3D reviews, and have found them to be reasonably good too.

In terms of sites I tend to ignore, 'Hardware Heaven' comes to mind, as they seem to give everything 8/10. Eg: "Though this keyboard has no keys, and the acidic coating on the palm rests has dissolved my wrists, it is a nice shade of black - 8/10"

Last edited: 24 Aug 2011
  2. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Agree with you on every point there. I'm always first to Anandtech for a new big release.

3. Zehetmayr

Zehetmayr Minimodder

Yea Anandtech seem to be fairly thorough, quite enjoy the odd video review at overclock3d, guru3d good, and maybe Hardocp for a general overview as they roundup reviews from lots of different sites. Toms hardware? Can't quite make up my mind on them.

4. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Any Currys/pc world sale's assistant, always reliable source of information and recommend products at competitive prices, can always trust the tech guys to solve any problems too.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Tom's Hardware used to be very good. I barely look at the site these days.

Anandtech, and Guru3D are pretty good, but TBH I get most of my info either from Bit-tech or through links on these forums.

6. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

Jonny guru for power supplies and the like, though the final end scores always tend to be pretty close to each other - the in depth reviews are good though.

TFTcentral for monitor reviews which I fail to understand at least 50% of :hehe:

7. Tokari

Tokari What's a Dremel?

Guru3d is where I start, as well as the odd video from Overclock3d.

8. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

Try Tech Report and TechSpot if you haven't used them - not as good as Anandtech, but I think I'd rate them over most of the stuff on Tom's Hardware these days.

9. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

I hope your joking with this?

As for review's, Tiny Tom Logan or TTL (TimeToLiveCustoms) On youtube, always tells it straight, plus I like his humour and video reviews :)

10. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Anandtech for me too. I don't mind Tom's either, the forums there make me want to kill myself anytime a search I make ends up there though... Tom's do lovely round ups though...

What happened to round ups and big EVERYTHING VS EVERYTHING ELSE OF THE SAME TYPE BUT VERY SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT type things. You don't see them as much these days.

11. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Clues is under my name.

12. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

I know, I thoroughly detest those forum's too, signed up about 6 months ago and in that time I've probably posted twice! in all that time. :)

Ha! :D

13. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

Went in there a couple of years ago because i'd run out of IDE ribbon cables. They'd just re-ordered the local store around, i couldn't seem to find them. So i grabbed one of the guys and asked him where they stocked their IDE ribbon cables.

The guy looked at me blankly and then asked me What an IDE ribbon cable was?:jawdrop:

Apart from the fact i thought i was going to crack a rib holding back the laughter, I was horrified at the same time.

I use Bit-tech, TechRadar, i've never used AnandTech but looks like i should check it out.

14. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I really *really* don't like Tech Radar.

What worries me is that I'm seeing Bit-Tech get more and more like it... But then to be honest I don't use BT anymore apart from old articles.

I don't want to turn this into another bitch fest but I was reading through Bindi's NAS box article yesterday and it's just excellent at every single level. COME BACK RICH!

15. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Yep, gotta love the Anand! Also, try Hardware Canucks, I've found them to be pretty good most of the time, though I don't go there that often...

Last edited: 24 Aug 2011
  16. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

To be fair, bit-tech is a bit like "While this heatsink is made of solid gold, costs less than £20 and runs cooler than the Fonz, we think it looks a bit garish - 8/10 Recommended"

17. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

I totally just imagined a guy being held up by his collar while he rapidly pales because he's about to be killed from his lack of knowledge of ribbon cables and theres some guy laughing maniacally at him.

Edit: I can't believe i just used totally like that. :worried:

18. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Well hopefully not but..... that LG IPS236V Review.... *shudder*

19. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Techradar, Guru3d, overclock3d are my top 3

20. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

For in depth architectural analysis and overall details Anandtech.

Otherwise I look at a list of sites including Tech Report, HardOCP (although less and less due to Kyle's pathetic attitude towards the reader base), Techpowerup! (for news), Hardware Canucks, Overclock.net and Hexus.

I also have a tendency to watch Linus Tech Tips as I really like the way Linus presents everything. I should note that this is when I am not watching Yogcast Minecraft clips or Dad's Army (which I am currently fixated on). (I'm a Dwarf and I'm digging a hole, Diggy Diggy Hole....)

Unfortunately due to a lack of content I don't often read Bit's reviews anymore.