1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Who has an iPhone 4 here?

Discussion in 'General' started by murraynt, 12 Feb 2011.

1. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I'm thinking of getting an iPhone 4 and I'm just wounder what people that own them think of them.
    The main reason I'm getting the iphone is due to it's music player.

2. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Yep... and a 3GS before that.

Great phone. For me it was mainly the app's you can get such as media centre remotes, download monitors, gps tracking etc.

Jailbroke mine so i could use a few cydia based apps (mainly RoqyBT and a utorrent app). I think the iPhone 4 is worth it over the 3GS. Don't really use it much for music as i've got a 160GB Ipod classic which has all that type of stuff. Its nice to have the odd movie on for lunchtime or watching while other half does the shopping in asda :)

murraynt likes this.
  3. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Same here. To me its the world's best phone. Mine isn't jailbroken but I am more than happy with what it does.

murraynt likes this.
  4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

And how do both of you find the battery life etc?
    I'll probably have to jailbreak mine to unlock it. Jailbroke my Ipod touch aswell. Cydia is great for small apps and tweaks.

Last edited: 12 Feb 2011
  5. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Battery life is mediocre if 3G and WiFi are enabled, (I came from a Blackberry, my expectations for battery life are likely high) lasts forever when everything is off.. I use it with a line out dock cable and a headphone amp, most of my music is Apple Lossless or V0 MP3. No complaints about the music player at all (lack of real equalizer, I guess.. doesn't bother me much). It sounds fine just out of the headphone jack with certain headphones, you won't have any problems with most IEMs or portable headphones.

Choice of apps is great, there are many wonderful apps available for free or $.99. Recently been playing Ace Attorney and Street Fighter IV, the new Google Translate app is amazing, there's a forum reader for a few dollars that I browse Bit with, Pandora works great, etc.

I was set on getting an Android phone, but the UI is just so much worse than iOS.. I have friends who own high end Android phones that they have rooted, customized, etc. (EVO 4G, Galaxy S variants) and the UI is not nearly as smooth or as user friendly as my phone, stock. Plus, the IPS display wrecks every other phone that I've seen in terms of color quality and viewing angles.

I recently jailbroke my phone to see what the fuss was about. When I had an iPhone 3G, there was reason to jailbreak. Nowadays, the benefits are not worth ruining the UI IMO. Larger folders were nice, but nothing else was worth the trouble.

The iPhone 4 would be perfect if it were slightly thicker, (easier to hold), had a bigger battery, FLAC support, and had a 4" screen.

murraynt likes this.
  6. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I like my ip4, as it has a nice screen and intuitive menus. The amount and types of stuff you can download for free is great. A few little tools for me, and about 150 games that my boy loves, all for free :D I don't like how you need to download things just so you can perform basic functions, but that's not a big deal I guess.

What I really don't like is that stupid mac tradition, so there is only one big stupid menu button :miffed: It would have been so much nicer to me, if the phone was a little smaller in length, so it was basically all touchscreen, and whack on a few spaced out menu buttons along the side which currently has none :geek:

But the most annoying feature to me is the ringtone options :miffed:

The phone lets you use a custom call ringtone, but I still haven't come across a way to use a custom ringtone for sms and another one for emails :grr: :wallbash: :waah:

I can't jailbreak it btw, as it's a company phone.

murraynt likes this.
  7. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

I just did something that would probably confuse and upset diehard Apple fans. I went from an IP4 to an Android. I did it before actually, from a 3gs to an Xperia Android, but this time I am more satisfied, and was more unsatisfied with the Apple. Great phone, but for those that like to tinker and I feel most of the people who come here too, it can be extremely frustrating.

On the Android phone I just got, would say the built in speaker is better, and the youtube ap is better, a lot better, and the rest is similar until you compare the customisation.

Might be odd to say this but I sold my IP4 on Ebay, the guy came and got it this morning. When he left with it, I felt strangely liberated.

Odd, huh !?

But for most people it IS a great phone.

murraynt likes this.
  8. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

I love my iPhone 4 :) Have had an iPhone since the release of the 3G and honestly could probably not live without anymore! Running 4.2 jailbroken with greenposi0n RC5 for SBSettings and MyWi. Do not know if you can get Spotify in ROI but if you can get premium and the app, best £10 I spend each month!

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Thanks guys. iPhone seems to be great bar the little niggles, but nothing is perfect.

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm not sure that my opinion will count as much seeing as I haven't made the move from 3GS to iP4 yet, but I have had an iPhone since their UK launch in October 2007, and I can honestly say that it was the best technological move that I ever made. Before that I'd had Nokia phones (were ok, they worked and had stupidly long battery life) and the occasional LG (who should be banned from making phones... forever) and the model I moved from to the first generation iPhone was an LG KG800 or "Chocolate" as it was known. It was a horrible phone once you got past the pretty aesthetics but I got by on it for about a year. Then the iPhone release was announced and I dove in feet first. I haven't looked back since.

With the 3GS at the moment, I store loads of contact details from peoples names and telephone numbers to their email addresses and street addresses. I can store nicknames in their contact profile and search the phone by their nick instead of their real name, I can email anyone with a tap of their address in their contact profile... basically it has the worlds best and most intuitive phone book. I also use it on a daily basis for email, SatNav/GPS (Ndrive app), News (BBC news app), texting with what I consider to be the smartphone markets best implementation of SMS by Apple, online banking, fuel and mileage records (Road Trip app), expenses record keeping (iXpenseIt app) and so much more. Honestly, I couldn't do without my iPhone any more. It has actually become a part of how smoothly my day to day life goes. When I cracked the digitizer cover glass on it last week and had to go back to using my first gen iPhone which I still have, I found it really hard to get by for just one day without 3G connectivity and GPS mapping whilst I waited for the new digitizer for the 3GS to arrive.

As far as battery life goes, I do notice it drop quite fast but I keep 3G, bluetooth and WiFi on 24/7 and use the GPS chip in the phone pretty often as well. I get around it by making sure I dock it every time I get home (have a charging/music playing dock in the workshop, and my charge/sync dock on the computer in my room) and I have a car charger for it as well as keeping wall chargers in my toolbox and the glove compartment of the car. I dion't think my iPhone has ever been fully discharged.

It may be different for someone who wouldn't rely on it as much as I do but I think that getting an iPhone 4 will prove to be a very good decision on your part. They're one of, if not the best smartphones in the world.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2011
  11. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Got an iPhone 4, it is probably the only piece of technology in my life I quite literally could not live without. It does everything in an effective fashion and I can't recommend it enough.

12. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I got a 3G for work last week. The screen is a very good quality screen, but that's about the only positive I can give. The UI isn't as good as Blackberry and I just don't get on with touch screen phones, so my typing rate has dropped through the floor. If you want to correct individual characters its fiddly as hell, and the comparative total lack of configurable options - "It's Apple's way, or the Highway" - is really limiting. I feel like a clone of every other iPhone user who has the same alerts, same theme, and same cookie-cutter existence.

Soon as I get the opportunity I'm going to try and get a Blackberry Torch or Bold somehow. In fact as soon as I finish Angry Birds (oops) I reckon I'll give it back and ask for the Curve 8520 I had before again. Only reason I changed is cos the screen came unstuck and they can be bought on ebay for a couple of quid.

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I went from Nokias. Sony-Ericssons and HTCs to an iPhone 4.
    Played on a Samsung Galaxy S the other day, and I still wouldn't trade the iPhone for anything.
    It's a brilliant phone that, while it has its niggles, is better than most alternatives at most things.
    Plus, it's an absolute breeze to use. Techno-cripple that is my mother managed to use it within a minute or so.

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Big thumbs up. Been an iPhone user since the first one launched, and the 4 is a big step from the 3G/3GS - way faster, decent camera, FaceTime and other tweaks. I don't really notice the battery life as I got in to a habit of charging overnight every day...

Not knocking Android, I know many people happy with their 'droid phones, but god I can't stand it. Played with a colleague's brand new Xperia 10 the other day and it took half an hour to work out how to access various options.

15. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

Ive had an iPhone since the launch of the first one all those years ago, changed each time a new one is released and believe the 4 is most certainly the best reincarnation yet. The battery is a lot better, i can play on my 3g most of the day and its still got life left for an evening on the town, although with wifi it does take a hit. I charge mine everynight regardless and have a backup battery for when its dead. I have taken each of my iphones to festivals, Glastonbury, Reading etc, i've needed two backup batteries for the 3G/S when turned off overnight, 3G/wifi disabled but the 4 i only needed the one, this is kinda how i judge it, and Glasto is five days. Turn everything off and it lasts fine.

I've jailbroken every device i've had, including an ipad, use cydia and occasionaly installous to test an app if i were to buy. Customised the look of each of them to personalise them completely. I've never relied only on my iphone camera up until the 4 came out, it really is so much better than any of the previous.

For anyone loving Android, i also own a Samsung Galaxy tab, i bought it cheap as was given a load of vouchers in an incentive through work. After a hard month of using it for portable browsing etc whilst using a datasim, it just isn't upto the IOS system. Android is pants in comparison. I rooted my device to remove the consistently annoying adverts. I tried different browsers, widgets, the lot. But currently Android in my opinion isn't polished enough to beat Steve Job's IOS, maybe Gingerbread will do it, but i fear not. I find the iPad too big, the Galaxy is love size, i love the way it plays divx, xvid native etc, if it ran ios, i'd fairly dump my iphone in an instant.

The only thing to consider is to buy an iP4 now or wait for the iP5 come probably June, with its oled screen, scratch/shatterproof body, thinner construction, facial security recognition, wireless sync and extended battery life. Although, most of thats hearsay atm ;)

16. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

If you have the money and are willing to spend it on a phone, totally get an iPhone 4.
    If you're like me and would financially cripple himself doing so, get an HTC Desire of some sort.

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

What I love most about the IP4 is the way everything links together.
    Wehn I went ot see Rammstein in Cape Town the other day, I used it as a GPS, linking people's names to places, etc.
    Then it was a matter of "How do I get from here to Friend X".
    And yes, Google maps works OK for that.

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I have an iPhone 4 which I use heavily for work as well as personal use. In fact one of the hospitals where I work has decided to ditch Blackberry's due to the high monthly server rental cost and equip all consultants with iPhone 4's hooked to NHS.net instead.

It just... works. People may complain about Apple's closed system but when you rely on it for work, you want it to just work, and work transparently. After all, how open is a Blackberry? Exactly. Battery life is good, build quality is solid and the high res screen is awesome. No significant 'grip of death issues' for me, but if it bothers you the newer Quallcom chipset model has sorted any niggles.

Having said that, have a look at the new Android phones and the Windows Mobile 7 Phones, which both have some awesome models coming up (including a dual-screen Android device).

19. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Thanks guys. I've had a look at the HTCs and the rest but they just don't seem as slick as th iphone. All I have to do know is get on at the weekend if all goes well.

20. murraynt

murraynt Modder

It usually would cripple me, but I can get it as an upgrade :)