1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Who has the best laptop screens?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mac_Trekkie, 9 May 2012.

1. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Pretty simple, what manufacturer currently has the best laptop screens? My laptop has had days left to live for about a year now, and while I'll probably wait for the next revision of MacBook Pros, I am also considering other options. The biggest part of a laptop to me is the display. I'm looking for the highest pixel density, brightest color, and I don't mind glossy one bit. 15.6" is also my ideal size, so whoever has the best displays at that size would probably get my vote. If the next MacBook Pros don't have Retina displays, then I may very well go with another manufacturer.

2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I do :D j/k...

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

HP business class system and I believe a Lenovo laptop have some IPS panels. But, they have a problem with the red color, where it appears as orangy-red... They are glossy too.

For the color shift, I don't know it is was corrected, I think it should (I mean tablets with IPS panels don't have the problem), but just make sure before purchasing.

Last edited: 9 May 2012
  4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

For me it's the complete package for a laptop not just the screen but the build quality.

last year i wen't from an old Acer to a Buisness grade HP, i knew the acer was cheap but the difference in build quality was night and day, and same again has happened when i moved from the HP to a thinkpad!

Personally i would go for a Lenovo W520 with the 1920x1080 and colour sensor option, thats £1500 or so which is nothing if your a mac lover

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

HP's buisness class used to. I don't know if they offer that panel anymore.

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Thinkpad with upgraded screen + matt.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

I'd wait to see if we get a retina display laptop from apple refresh is soon

8. richythomas

richythomas Minimodder

I'm sure there are probably better screens out there but I bought a Dell XPS 15 (L502x) last year opting for a 1920x1080 B+RGLED screen which is absolutely fantastic and reviews on the NET seem to support this. It's bright, in fact too bright so I have it set to half brightness to save battery and it's still brighter than my works supplied Lenevo Thinkpad.

9. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Some of the top end Sony laptops also have IPS + high resolution. Probably glossy though. Lots of the OEM laptops have IPS options (like the Eurocoms et al).

In general, they're out there, but it depends what sort of laptop you're after.

10. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Well I use my laptop almost exclusively for gaming, and I like that it's light an indestructible, so those will be major factors. But generally the quality of the screen is the first thing to go when someone makes a crappy laptop, and the first thing to be reinstated when they make a good one, at least in my experience. That's why I'm so interested in it.

EDIT: Also, looking at Sager notebooks, which seem to be real nice and offer 1080p 15.6" screens, they offer a 675m for their high end 15.6" model, and a 7970m for twice the price. Is the 7970m that much better than the 675? I'm an unabashed nVidia fanboy and I loathe the AMD control center, so I'd rather go with nVidia if I can, but 1080p is a lot of screen real estate for a laptop card, so I'd want to be certain. If the next MBP's don't offer retina displays, and I can get a hands on on one of these things to try the trackpad and keyboard, it's probably what I'm going to get.

Last edited: 10 May 2012