1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Whoa! HDDs burning hot and making ton of noise!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Whitesky, 30 Jan 2011.

1. Whitesky

Whitesky Minimodder

I just completed my SB 2600k based upgrade today from 1366.

Everything went smoothly, except my HDD's have been clicking, whirring, making a ton of the usual heavy searching/indexing sounds.

It's been going off in spurts grinding away, so I reached over and my WD Caviar Black 1tb was almost burning to the touch. :eeek::eeek: The Samsung F3 1Tb below it is also hot, but not as bad.

This can't be normal, can it? I'm really worried as the really hot drive contains all my web design work (4 years worth lol).

Any comments would be appreciated..

2. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Is the clicking metronomic or is it random? Also, if you don't have a back up of your work, then you should probably get on that, regardless of whether you hard drives are fubar'd.

3. Whitesky

Whitesky Minimodder

well it'd be a heavy load of regular search/indexing sounds. For example, if you load a folder full of movies and the drive/folder isn't indexed..

I just don't know why the drive would be so hot it'd burn skin if left for a few seconds. I moved the drives farther apart in the trays and it seems to not be as hot this boot, but I'll see in the next hour.

4. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

i assume you have a fan blowing over the drives....is it spinning+up to full speed?

5. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

How hot exactly, do you have any heat temp leads/sensors you can move/attach to the outer casing of one of your drives for a test to get a idea of how hot they are actually getting?

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Back up NOW!... even before finding out what's wrong... just back up first.

Drives should not be hot. Mine are at around 25 degrees most of the time. You need a fan blowing over them at the front of the case.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Get it backed up first then break out a SMART tool and see what that says.

8. Deders

Deders Modder

If you can, put them in bays that aren't next to each other, Argus monitor has a good smart tool.