1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are full screen adverts back on Bit-Tech?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by greypilgers, 4 Jun 2012.

1. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i have to say fanboy is working wonders for blocking adverts

2. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I've rarely, if ever, complained about the need to monetise the site through ads as I'm completely sympathetic to the fact that Bit needs to pay for its excellent content and hosting somehow, but if I've got to manually close an unavoidably intrusive ad on every forum page then I can't see myself sticking around here too long I'm afraid.

3. maple

maple Minimodder

Right now i'm actually getting that full page ad on every page

4. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Same here, every single page, adblock on...

Who's got an email address for the advertising mob so I can shout at someone?

5. zukomonitor

zukomonitor assumption is the mother of all....

WTF is going on! every time a page loads!

it wasnt long ago there was a big uproar over fullscreen ads, then there was small ones causing flash 11.3 to crash and now almost fullscreen ads on every page!!!

time to look at new tech forums me thinks :wallbash:

6. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Chrome+adblock isn't giving a single one now, not even the unobtrusive ones at the top.

7. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

Come on bit this is absolutely useless ive been on bit tech for years but seriously if this new bs ad doesnt stop im not coming back. I seriously cant understand why you guys would do something like this. I understand that ad money is a big deal but damn this is taking it WAY to far

8. srgtherasta

srgtherasta Minimodder

This is getting beyond a joke now, every time a click on a link/ thread or back the same add appears. Giving bt another few days to sort this out or I'll be another foot note in history here.

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

In the voice of Bob Hoskins* "it's good to talk" and I'm glad everyone feels they can vent in here. But just bear in mind that both Simon and Harry have acknowledged that this is absurd, and I would imagine that the ad frequency is in fact an error on the part of someone behind the scenes at Dennis.

Block ads until it's confirmed to be fixed. If you don't have admin rights on your PC, petition for them!

* You'll only remember that advert if you're an old git (late 20s plus).

David likes this.
  10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I know I might have said this somewhere in this thread before, but it's not just the errors that make the advert appear when it's not supposed to (this is the second? third? time this kind of thing has happened), it's the intrusiveness of recent advertising that is more annoying than anything - this kind of popup, intrusive advertising that stops users from reading the content they want to read without clicking off the advert is no better than pop-up or pop-under windows of yore.

Do the Dennis marketing team realise that by continuing to use such annoying advertising, they are driving away users from the site? Or is the only thing they worry about their targets and bonuses - the $$$ signs flashing in front of their eyes?

11. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

They only care about money which is what big business is about.

12. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

On a train into Dennis now. Can't imagine, tbh, that an advert would deliberately be set to pop up on every page. Will know more a little later on.

S

13. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Thanks Simon.

I've not had the popup just now.

14. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

The netapp pop-up has been killed - clearly this wasn't supposed to appear on every single page load and was put live in error.

Shirty likes this.
  15. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Good work guys, thanks for the quick response.

16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yep, credit where it's due. We know the staff don't have much of a say in the advertising content, so it is appreciated when you score the occasional point. :thumb:

Unfortunately, until the IE9 ad has run it's course, I won't be disabling adblock. I'm being fair - I turn it off every couple of days to see how things are going, but IE9 hatefulness persists.

17. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

We all know it's not your fault but this isn't the 1st "error" which has caused ads to appear when they shouldn't, so what's really going on?

18. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

its a conspiracy i tell you, a conspiracy

19. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I can't speak for anyone else, but over the past week I haven't visited bit-tech as much as I once did. I don't have any ad blockers installed, but I think the internet filters here at work are blocking most of them. As such, I mostly check bit-tech on the occasional break at work, and I almost never check it at home. The ads just became too intrusive. Funny, while most people blame certain members for the downfall of bit's forums, it's the ads that are driving me elsewhere.

The same thing happened with my local newspaper. I used to go to the paper's home page, look over the headlines and read a few articles, then navigate to the science blogger's page. The full-page popup ads just became too much, so I now bypass the home page and go straight to the blogger's page. The newspapers blogs are free from full-page ads, but they do have limited ads elsewhere on the page. I can live with that.

20. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

It was an error, and you're right: it's not the first, and it is being looked at.

At most, the ad should have triggered once. Thanks for the quick and constructive response, and sincere apologies for the mistake.

Simon

RichCreedy and Shirty like this.