1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Why do Bit-Tech competition mails come from some unknown Dennis man?

Discussion in 'General' started by alpaca, 30 Jun 2011.

1. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

I won one of the ASUS competition thingies, so in another, better world, one with better spam filters and logical emailsenders, I would be overclocking the newest ASUS stuff in London in about an hour.

This world however, does have a bad spam filters, but worse, sends emails from some Megan Wiffen I had never heard of (apparently, he is marketing coordinator at dennis). So when I see a mail in my 'unwanted' folder from someone I don't know that starts with 'congratulations ...' my mind blocks of and I let such email to rot in said folder. It is only by accident that I saw this email while looking for another. So now I missed out. Damn.

I don't think this was serious enough to put in the feedback section, but I still hope someone at bit-tech reads this...

And London is still calling...

2. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

If you look at the bottom of Bit-Tech's website you'll see:

"© Copyright Dennis Publishing Limited licensed by Felden"

IIRC; Bit-Tech and the competitions are linked to Dennis Publishing via the Custom PC magazine.

3. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

I know, I know... but as most modern emailclients do not show the emailadres(which contains the dennis.co.uk part) it is sent from, but only the name (which does not),I had no quick way to determine it was not spam. I guess I'm just frustrated.:sigh:

4. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Ah right.
    I thought you didn't know about Dennis Publishing being linked to Bit-Tech.

Just had a quick look on the Dennis website and Megan is listed on their events page on the right hand side.
    So if the email matches the one they've put on that page, I'd imagine it's most likely a legitimate message.
    If you are still in doubt, she has her phone number listed on the events page as well so you could check if she really sent the email directly. :)

5. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

Ah, I must have explained wrongly. There is no real doubt about this mail being legit, there was only the expectation the mail would be from editor@bit-tech.net, the adres I sent my entry to. When looking trough my spam folder, I only saw an unknown name (Megan Wiffen) and a subject starting with 'congratulations', so I assumed she was a rich banker willing to give my her fortune, if only I would take care of the transfer costs...

So no, I never felt inclined to open that email, so I missed out. So now I'm frustrated.

Also, sorry for calling her a man. I thought 'Megan' sounded manly.

6. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Poor Megan, I'm sure she's very womanly with woman stuff.

And yeah, it's just the way it works isn't it? Emails get sent to whatever@whoever.com and the person who actually deals replies.

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I hate to say this but this is entirely your own fault; companies have never been logical about these things.

8. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

:sigh: yes I know. I think i was just looking for some sympathy. Once in my lifetime, i win something, and I miss it...

Ah well, the 1.7 minecraft update is due to today, isn't it?

9. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Time machine?