1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Why do companies make it so hard for you to contact them?

Discussion in 'General' started by Fophillips, 29 Jun 2007.

1. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

Today I have, to no avail, tried to contact both the BBC and Google. Neither of which offer a simple "Email us" link anywhere on their respective sites. I wanted to tell Google I'll be willing to set up an Arch repository for their Linux software, as they seem to only offer debs and rpms for a lot of their software, which means I have to extract the binary files from the archives, and write my own PKGBUILD. What is it with these big companies not giving out simple information such as an email address?

2. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Because if it was easy they would get spammed by too many stupid people.

If someone really want to contact them, they will manage anyway.

It also let people get of some steam before they hit the phones if they have some complaint.

3. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

The reason this thread was started in the first place, would suggest that's not the case :idea:

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

5. fev

fev Industry Fallout

BBC Worldwide Ltd.,
    Woodlands,
    80 Wood Lane,
    London W12 0TT

6. ElZog

ElZog Defeater of Satan's Transformo Sofa

This reminds me of earlier today when I had to call Play help about why my Quake Wars register nick code had not been sent. The friendly Irish girl answered before the phone even rang once and my problem was sorted within minutes. Best support service i've ever had.

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Worst ones are for low-market hardware. I tried to get in touch with Speedtouch (ho ho) my dsl modem: got redirected to america, charged 50p per minute to listen to awful music, then some guy actually answered the phone and pretended to be the voicemail - I know, because halfway through he got a word wrong and stalled mid-sentence, the dumbass :wallbash: Then he just hung up on me.

Long story short, tech support lines and big companies don't want to have anything to do with their customer base. It's a waste of time as far as they're concerned, since it doesn't make any money and often costs them some.

8. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

My employer is a bank and they make it quite difficult to contact customer support--I'm curious of how even customers are able to find help for their banking needs. Here's the irony: I spent an hour to find the customer support number for my work, while at work--I was in the same building I was trying to call. I'm never banking with them again once my contract ends.

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I have to agree, most companies make it extremely hard to contact them now. Support services have been made linear and generally the first step seems to be "go to our forum and see if someone else has done the job you paid us for", after that if you're lucky they'll let you register, give over every detail of your life including what you eat for tea last night, and then get to send them a length limited e-note which will be answered two weeks later by someone who tells you to update your god damn drivers.

/rant xD

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The BBC must have read this thread; at the bottom of every single page is now a "Contact us" link. Fast action, Beeby! Ura * :thumb:

11. Fophillips

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

13. Fophillips

"To comment on a specific part of the bbc.co.uk website, such as News or Radio, please use the 'Contact Us' link on pages within that section of the site."

14. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Companies ive tried to contact and get no responce back are Thermaltake and MSI. Neither will answer any technical support questions, aftersales, questions about products im interested in.

HAd a VGA that died and it was imposible to find MSI contact details and in the end I gave up and bought a new card.

I guess thats the reason :)

15. RTT

RTT #parp

Mostly because it costs them money to offer a good service when you want to contact them :(

16. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Samsung and DFI are the 2 companies that I have received the best customer service ever.

17. identikit

identikit Minimodder

I had to ring up BT the other day to cancel my phone line. The very first thing "If you are calling from the phone you wish to enquire about, press 1". Anyway once I'd gone through all the menus I got to a human. Thank god! No. 'What's the phone number?' 'What would you like us to do?', and a thousand other questions I just answered by going through a dozen different menus! Grrrr.

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Their PR people tend to be fairly responsive though, in my experience. Mind you, don't abuse it, but if that's the only contact you can find listed, they'll usually point you in the right direction quickly enough.

19. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I had some fantastic response from crucial i got stuck with some of the eary (faulty) balistix stuff . About a month after purchase it started playing up, was going to email them then i noticed a phone number, a bloody phone number. I wasn't expecting that level of service any way long story short new RAM with in 3 days! Morral of the story vote with your wallet and purchase from reputable companies even if it costs a little more ala John Lewis.

20. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

You need to know some guy who knows some other guys. They talk to their guy who's dating some girl who knows another girl who's dating some guy who knows a guy that has an email address for a guy who may just know a guy who might be able to put you in touch with Google...

But like I said, you need to know some guy. And nobody knows him.

Tags: