1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Why do modern games require so much storage space?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Pete J, 19 Sep 2020.

1. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

It's one of the reasons why I download everything I buy on GOG, so I have the offline installers forever. OK, it doesn't solve the issue of online games, or games that talk to a server to do XYZ, but it's the best solution I've got right now without becoming a multi-billionaire, buying all of the games devs/publishers one at a time and forcing them to release source code/server-side software when a game is "no longer supported".

Actually, it'd probably be cheaper just to lobby politicians to make laws to do the same thing. Quicker, too.

Now, how to make those billions...? :hehe::lol:

Agreed.

There are - at least in theory - valid reasons to update phones etc... but a toaster? Or a microwave? Or a kettle? Why in any level of Hell would you need any of those connected to the internet?

boiled_elephant and Pete J like this.
  2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

On the IoT front, I’m in favour of (open source) hub approach: everything else are offline and controlled by the hub, only the hub need to be connected to internet and receive security updates.

GOG is also my favourite way to buy older games. It comes in a nice package that its single player is guaranteed to work years down the line.

Speaking of unnecessary online games, Hitman 3 is a single player only game but said to require internet connection to save progression!?!

On the bright side, they say Hitman 3 includes both 1 and 2 but only 50GB in total. Whereas fully unlocked 1 and 2 goes over 100GB. I read somewhere the reason for 1 and 2 being so large is to accommodate DLC distribution, meaning each level is a package, so re-usable assets are not shared between levels. :wallbash:

So, circling back to the thread: DLC are part of the reason and are bad.

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Welp, I'm done. I'm out. Gonna go Kaczynski myself away in a hut and write angry polemics about the evils of technology.

I'm only half joking. I literally want to get rid of my smartphone, but can't because of work.

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

...Looks at Internet capable fridge and washing machine....leaves thread sharpish for fear of lynching from the luddites :hehe: