1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Why do people actually use bit-torrent so much?

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheAnimus, 13 Jul 2005.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

-again, ur 'up' dosnt really matter.
    -my ratio is terrible, about 1 to 0.002 all togther.
    -join a site with dedicated torrents and uploaders theres plenty about, but u usueally have to know the right people to be allowed into the decent provate ones.
    -They have uploaders for every torrent so other people dont have to, and you will MAXOUT any download bandwidth you have with every torrent, i manage to on my 2mb.
    -It becomes less p2p with these sites as these people are acting as servers i spose.
    -So as i said, its where you get torrents, public torrents are for saps.

2. zackbass

zackbass What's a Dremel?

I guess I use BitTorrent very differently from everyone else here. I start a couple BT sessions, limit my upload rate to about 30KB/sec for each and let them run overnight to a few days. Stuff under about 1.5GB comes through in one night and larger stuff takes a couple days. I think the biggest thing I ever downloaded off BT was 8GB.

The great thing about BT in my situation is that it almost always completes once a download starts so I don't mind investing a few days into getting a file. I don't stress my connection at all (I'm on 8Mb/1Mb) and eventually get everything I want.

The bad thing about BT is trying to get obscure stuff, but every tool has its job. Newsgroups and DC++ have their own niches, it's like trying to compare a drill press to a dremel.

3. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Since I did not want to keep my pc on all the time, I built 533 celeron off the street, installed xp and I put it in attic for downloading. It sits there on all the time, just put the file for download and forget about it. Although I have a spare monitor I don't really need one since I can access that download PC though network (Remote Desktop and Filesharing). I'd like to learn other ways of downloading though.

4. Potato

Potato What's a Dremel?

I use the Usenet only - no BT for me. When I used BT sometimes they maxed out my connection (when I was running DSL) but I rarely find a torrent that can max out my 15 megabit line now. Usenet does it everytime, and I can pull down files like lightning.

People use BT because of it's simplicity, but if you take the time to learn the usenet it is well worth it.

Tags: