1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Why have you been kicked out of PC World

Discussion in 'General' started by GaryP, 8 Sep 2011.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Because this is where they make much of their profit. Besides, they have to pay for the running costs of keeping a shop (Techs, tools, software, documentation, certifications, electricity, rent and so on...). They also have more responsibility if something happens during/after the repair is done.

I could easily repair a laptop using parts of ebay very cheap, but running a company is a entirely different thing. For instance, having parts in stock is bloody expensive. Sounds mad, right? "Having parts on a shelf doesn't cost anything!" The problem is depreciation and unmovable stock. To get the part in the stock you have to pay, say, 100£. That's 100£ that is gone unless the part is sold for 100£. As new computer models arrive in the market, nobody want to pay that much for that same part. After maybe 6 months that exact same part may only be worth 70£. Try to change more, and the customer simply buys a new computer. You then have two choices. Cut your loss, and sell the part for less than it cost you, or leave it in stock hoping that somebody some day will need that exact part (this is a rare thing to happen).

Multiply this with thousands of parts and you can see where the money go. To have any chance of making profit most companies either turn up their profit margins to allow for depreciation, or simply keep no stock. This is why it will take such a long time to get things fixed. Parts only get ordered when they are needed. No customer in the consumer market are willing to pay what it costs to keep parts in stock.

For the business market there is something called an SLA (Service level agreement). That agreement may say that a computer have to be fixed within 24hours from failure. Such an agreement is incredibly expensive for the above mentioned reasons.

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I just think it is interesting that no one has mentioned the apple store in any of these stories bar some idiot jail breaking apple kit in store, they must be doing something right!

3. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I work for Consumer Direct, hard to believe it but I've been there almost a year.

4. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I've never been kicked out of any store. I work retail as well and deal with peoples needs all the time. I've directly told people if they dont mind waiting to order a HDMI cable on ebay because our prices are insane. I am the kinda sales person to direct them to whoever has the best deal or product they need. I only mess with customers that are total anus's, and believe you me if you go in a store as a douche bag, expect bad service. I make a point of it to get them out of my sight as fast as possible.

I detest when customers ask a question and then proceed to interrupt me as I am answering it. I proceed to just sell them whatever they think they need - dont care if its close to anything useful they want or not.

5. Cellular Peptide

Cellular Peptide Member

I haven’t been kicked out but I recently attended a job interview at my local store. It was pretty much as you would expect. :) ....I should of gone to Burger King!

I certainly will not be ever shopping again at that store. The manager was rude, condescending, disrespectful and seemed to think that the ‘X-Factor method’ is the correct way to conduct a job interview.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2011
  6. vodkas666

vodkas666 New Member

Got sacked from a well known PC store for being honest and selling people the right PC for their use. My boss was listening in to this couple who asked for "something to go on the net with and occasional online game". So rather than push the Sony Vaio on them as instructed I told them a netbook at £200 would be more than enough for them. My favorite one was trying to persuade Apple fan boys than any other laptop at half the price would be good enough :D

7. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Popped into PC world as i needed a lengthy amount of Ethernet cable. Could only find 2meters....5meters etc and i needed about 20meters.

Guy approaches and says the usual "How can i help"

I say I'm looking for 20m of Ethernet cable.

His response was something along the lines of "we don't have that, and I don't think its possible to have longer than 35meters of ethernet cable because blah blah blah blah"...

35meters? Most large office buildings and university pool rooms easily have to reach well beyond this.

N.B the rated max length is 100meters apparantly...a massive difference...

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Come to think of it, I have been kicked out of PC World before, in spite of it being totally out of character for me.

When I was maybe 13 or 14 (quite a while ago) I was just mooching around with a pal, browsing and maybe playing a little with the display models. The security guard came over and asked if we were going to buy anything, and then asked us to leave.

I thought it was a little out of order as we weren't doing anything at all nefarious, mainly just browsing for potential Xmas presents.

9. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I've never seen anyone asked to leave in any store just because they weren't going to buy something. That ridiculous. What kind of crazy people work in your stores?!

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

People who are hired based on their merits as sales people, instead of people with good sales skills who know about the hardware that they are selling, that's what kind.

A friend called me last night - I gave him some advice on a good laptop spec to buy to replace his ageing desktop which he wants rid of so he can convert his computer room/office into a spare bedroom for guests. He was in PC world at the weekend getting quotes etc and called me to go over the details and see what I thought. PC world staff tried to sell him a 17" Dell XPS i7 laptop with 6GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive. As an office laptop. I had advised him to get quoted for an i3 powered, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD carrying 17" Inspiron. When he told the salesperson this, he told my friend that they were advising people against buying 17" Inspirons at the moment because of major problems with the screens "falling apart".

They also offered him a reasonable deal on a Vaio 15.5" with an i3, 4GB and a 500GB HDD. But 15.5 is still too small for him, which was a point he apparently couldn't get across to the PCW guy. Sigh.

11. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer New Member

Avast! and AntiVir are the most favoured free AVs at the moment and with detection rates of 98.4% and 97.5% respectively in AV Comparatives' February 2011 detection testing, both outperformed Norton at 95.5%.

AVG scored 91.4% and has been out of favour for the last couple of years. Anyone still using it should consider switching, but they don't have to pay to get a decent scanner.

12. Unicorn

I've been trying to tell my regular customers that AVGs rating ahs dropped in the past couple of years and that Avast! is the new king of the hill when it comes to free AV software, but some of them just don't want to know.

I've made a point of changing any systems that I have in for service or repair over from AVG to Avast! for the past year or more anyway.

13. Cellular Peptide

Cellular Peptide Member

The opinion of the store manager i spoke too.... technical knowledge can be easily aquired but sales technique cannot.

Repairs are no longer made in store. If you have a faulty laptop it is dispatched from the store to the Newark repair depo on the A1. At Newark there are 150 laptop repair techncians sat at desks. Those techncians start work at 6 and finish at 5.30. The pay is 10 pounds per hour (agency pay) and each techncian is expected to repair one machine every hour. I was told a full time repair technician (none agency) can earn 22 grand per year.

14. Unicorn

"Expected to repair one machine every hour"

Oh please, come on with that rubbish... it could take me 30 minutes to repair a laptop, it could take me an hour, or it could take me 4 hours. I still charge completely fairly for the customer and do the job right. What kind of job are these guys doing in an hour? None of those could be complex repairs, like liquid damage, or repairing boards. I know it shows component level repair in the video, but be realistic. I like to think of myself as a skilled engineer, and it can take me one hour to find and identify faulty components on a board... never mind replacing them and the rework required afterwards.

It looks like a very nice setup that they have, and I have no doubt that their engineers are some of the best trained and most highly skilled EE's in the country. It looks just like a massively upscaled version of my workshop, but the figures they are throwing out are either ridiculous and exaggerated, or they are not performing repairs as complex as they say and show in the video.

I don't want to knock this or put anyone who it might appeal to off, £22K P.A is really not bad pay for a service technician, no doubt about it. And if they are offering apprenticeships and NVQ qualification sponsorship/training then it's a great opportunity for someone starting out in the industry at that level (Post A-Level) but I'm just saying, I would rather take 4 hours to repair a laptop, making sure that everything is done to the highest standard and only repair 3 machines per day than rush jobs out like they are apparently doing and potentially have problems.

And for the record, Unicorn Systems is not just a "Laptop Repair Centre" it's a "Will try my hardest to fix anything electronic that you have which is broken" centre, although obviously computers and laptops are the main candidates most of the time :)

15. holzj17

holzj17 New Member

i went into an apple store once and fed him the usual bs that i was a big apple fan but not that knowledgeable about pc's and love gaming and such and asked him to quote me for a gaming pc. couple mins later he's showing me a setup costing around £3000 for dual quad core xeons, 12gb of ram and dual 5770's. i asked him why they only had the option for a single 5850 and not dual and he told me that dual 5770's were better than dual 5850's. at which point i fell about laughing and left the store.

16. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil New Member

Oddly enough, I was kicked out of a DIY/ hardware store once with my school friend whom was visiting for the day- we weren't doing anything suspicious either, yet the shop keeper asked us to leave because "we were making the place look untidy" :eyebrow:

I wouldn't take it personally, it's just a case of young people without adults in certain stores can only ever be upto no good so they are asked to leave regardless, you don't have to have done anything wrong or acted in a certain ( dubious ) manner to arouse suspicion ( see: fresh prince of bel air- driving whilst black episode)..

17. Simon Poole

Simon Poole New Member

I've only been kicked out and that was for pointing out pricing.
    They had a disk copy of WoW's The Burning Crusade still on sale for £30. I pointed out that it was free now... :p

18. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Never been asked to Leave PC World.. Was asked to leave NEXT once or should I say was hurried out the store by the then Girlfriend as I had wind, and was bored.... and well you can guess the what happened next scenario ..

19. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Member

Yes. Never gotten kicked out... but it took 20 minutes to get a simple mini displayport to vga adapter. (One of my apple fanboy friends decided to try to convince me that them being too busy to serve me and unable to find a common accessory is a good thing last week) I think theres only 3 debit card machines in the entire store, and we had to queue, with this apple store employee glaring at me after I said it was for my dell, not a mac. He wasn't particularly talkative after that point.

I also took a macbook in for repairs once, minor cosmetic damage to the casing. I was quoted well over £150, and the 'Genius' decided the screen was flickering and would fail in a matter of weeks. It wasn't. It worked for a good 6 months after that, until I sold it. Probably still works.

20. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Try telling a client they can expect to die soon...

As an IT Consultant this was a massive balls up on my behalf! :lol: