1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Why I shouldn't buy a Dell U2311H?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M_1008, 17 Dec 2010.

1. M_1008

M_1008 What's a Dremel?

I have an old 22" LG wich cost me too little a few years ago and it´s time for a decent monitor. It´s use will be photoshop and casual gaming aside for the usual procastination and film watching.

I´m getting a Canon 500D or 550D camera after Christmas and I think that in order to do things right an IPS panel is mandatory. Its useless to have a good camera if you can`t watch the photos properly.

At 239 €, I think that Dell U2311H is a great choice. The lacking of LED backlit sets me back a little, but IPS for that mone seems a good deal.

What do you think about it? Any alternative at same price range and specs?

PSD: I´m sorry about my english, I´m getting reaaaally rusty about it. I´m reading english each and every day, but writing it´s another business :wallbash:

2. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Lots of people rave about the dell monitors, and IPS is the way forward. So id say its about the best you can get for the money. Had to hold myself back from getting the U2711 when it dropped from £800 down to £570 lol.

3. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

There's a reason most high-end monitors don't use LED backlights, which is that the light is never completely white. In cheap monitors and large TVs, the power and size reductions can be worth it, but when accurate colours are the priority a good CCFL light is a much better choice. Dell monitors tend to be good quality, and the U2311H is an excellent monitor

tripwired and GoodBytes like this.
  4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

sb1991 can't be more correct.
    CFL lamps... sorry high-end CFL lamps are far superior than white LED's, and this is what the U2311H has (a high-end CFL lamp).

As you can see, true white LED's don't exists. You have blu'ish white or warm white (yellow'ish white), but not real white.

When you see 'LED', you should think "this is not good display".

Of course, it not to be confused with RGB LED back light.. this is the cream of the crop for LCD back light technology of today. Its a regroupement of Red , Green and Blue LED's scattered around the monitor back, very very close together, which together allows you to have the best of white, with even the ability to adjust the intensity of each color via the monitor. In addition, as they are scattered everywhere (something that white LED's are actually not doing, and a CFL lamp.. well you have only 1), you have a uniform back light corner to corner. As you can guess, these monitors are very very very very expensive. And I don't mean, U2410 expensive.. I mean 2 000$ Can/U.S for a 22inch IPS/PVA panel, and no other features.

In addition, as the U2311H is an IPS panel, like all IPS/PVA panels, they are not part of the harsh crazy price competition of the TN LCD panels. This means, expect a solid build quality, with a nice metal base stand with full motion metal mechanical system for a smooth and easy motion, without hearing plastic crack or having your monitor wobble like no tomorrow by your breath.

Where you win with Dell.. is that it's essentially an LG panel (well it is an LG one, which are actually pretty good at making LCD monitors), but you save a lot of money just because it says Dell instead of LG.

Here is a fun trick, call Dell Sales rep to order (if you plan to order it from Dell), BUT call from the SMALL BUSINESS department. Why? because your warranty service should be better, for the same price (you pay more for desktop/laptop systems, hence why they are more expensive, and YES it's much better, and they are more relax, and not strict on policies and treat you like an idiot). If not, then wtv, you lose nothing, at least you tried. You don't need to be a business to order form Small Business. Oh, but you can negotiate a price as well over the phone and save a bit of money. I did that for my laptop, and later on for my U2410, despite having the U2410 with a 250$ off special on it.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2010
  5. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

What GoodBytes said...

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

GoodByte has visted the thread: /thread :D

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

This ^ :thumb:

Goodbytes: You really should create a standard template response for these threads, it will save you re-typing the same thing over and over. :D

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I really should, don't I? :)

9. quirkalfeeg

quirkalfeeg Its a trick...get an axe.

10. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

I'd certainly recommend it - it's almost worth the extra over a TN just for the decent stand!

11. M_1008

M_1008 What's a Dremel?

Thanks everyone, especially GoodBytes, you have helped me a lot. I'll buy it this week:)