1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is slow when. . .

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Colonel Sanders, 27 Jul 2007.

1. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Lately my PC has a bit of an issue. When I go to load up C&C 3 - the splash screen lasts for about a minute - and after I close the game my system takes about minute to "reload" windows (I cant do anything for at least a minute). I first noticed this immediately after installing C&C 3.

I would not mind this problem if it was only related to C&C 3 but now I'm noticed a similar after effect after any game I run - such as SCO, Medieval 2, UT04 or any game I play. I have defragged my hard-drive, but that hasn't made any noticeable difference.

So I'm beginning to think my hard-drive is probbably about to die - or maybe C&C 3 is just plain cursed. The drive is a 60GB Maxtor (7200RPM, 8MB cache, SATA 1) - it is about 60% full (have media on another drive).

Is slow load times for C&C 3 normal? Has anyone else noticed full-system slow downs after installing C&C 3? I really don't want to un-install the game, I mean it wasn't cheap. . .

2. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

What OS are you in? From what I've been hearing, nVidia Vista drivers and C&C 3 do not like to work together. But since other games are doing it, it may just signal that it's time for a reinstall. I ran C&C 3 in both XP and Vista without issue(older nVidia drivers and un-updated C&C 3 worked fine together).

3. Colonel Sanders

Running XP - the install is ages old. . . I will look into updating my nVidia drivers - they are probbably as old as my XP install.

L J

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Defragment, one of the joys of Windows OS is that they have shocking drive allocation methods.

Ask anyone on linux if you can defrag

5. Colonel Sanders

I think I've ran the defrag utility nearly every other day hoping that would help the problem - but it has made no difference. :( Now I am curious to know if any other C&C3 players have noticed similar performance from C&C 3. . .

6. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Nah, my C&C's been fine.
    Have you got the latest version?

7. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

If a driver update doesn't work, it's time to reinstall windows. For some reason windows tends to degrade in performance over time and after about 6 months I end up reinstalling because it starts getting slow on boot and such.

Tags: