1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why must they interfere with my games??

Discussion in 'General' started by Liquid K9, 5 May 2003.

1. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

[bitch about Game stores]

Yesturday, I bought myself a copy of "Medal of Honor: spearhead" at my local Game store. Generally, when you purchase a game, you expect to recieve exactly the same thing as the publisher (EA in this case) sells - no different. But Game have to interfere... they take every game CD and manual out of ever computer game case, shrink-wrap them together and put them under lock & key behind the counter. WHY? I ask you. Is it too much for them to leave the games sealed in factory (mint) condition?

The reason I ask this question is the game I bought came with the CD and a promotional leaflet (nothing unusual so far). I go to install it and guess what... It asks me for the serial number on the back of the manual. WHAT MANUAL? I asked the computer. The damn idiots at Game 'forgot' to place the manual in my 'package' :grr: .

Why cant these idiots leave the games be. What posseses them to mess about with merchandise their going to sell onto me the very same day (minus the most important part of the damn game... the serial number/manual/proof of ownership).

[/bitch about Game stores]

2. FreakOnALeash

FreakOnALeash What's a Dremel?

basically they do it so people cant nick them as easily. You'll find they keep a stock of the most up to date games in their "mint condition" in the display cabinets behind the tills. When you lift one off the shelf they'll usually grab one of them copies and put the empty box back on the shelf. However, once those copies have gone they have to fill the empty boxes with their previous contents.

know all this cos I worked for EB (now re-branded as Game) when I was in my student days

3. Liquid K9

I understand that they dont want people to steal the games. but is it too much work to keep ones their going to sell in 'mint condition', but leave those on the shelfs as empty 'displays'.

4. FreakOnALeash

FreakOnALeash What's a Dremel?

er...I just said that thats what they do...at least they did in the store I worked in, and its what they do in all the stores I've been to.

5. Liquid K9

Oh, sorry...

they dont do that here. Here they actually take the disks out of EVERY SINGLE GAME and have them shrink-wrapped with the manual (usually with the manual) in a set of draws behind the desk - you have to take the box everyone has mauled since its been on its dusty little shelf. Sometimes the case isnt in very good condition if its been mauled alot :eyebrow:

6. :Galokin:

:Galokin: Guest

sorry to hear about yr problem mate.

Ive never had a problem wiv Game b4, i buy stuff there all the time.

Pretty much all of the games that r new r shrink wrapped (If thats wot its called) whereas older/pre-owned games are not.

7. Liquid K9

all is well now.

The guy I rang at GAME called me back earlier to say they just had a [small] shipment in, of which there were a few copies of spear-head; so I now have a replacement.

Game really arent that bad, but they do get up my back sometimes (they even accused me of returning a GBA game without the cart' once... and asked everytime they saw me for about two months). I'm quite glad they got rid of EB, it was pretty stupid to have two names for the one company.

Last edited: 6 May 2003
  8. Stew

Stew Disgruntled Postal Worker

Arrrrrrr, but their 10day reurns is very usefull, Me Hearties......

:thumb:

9. Liquid K9

Yes, that 10-day no quibble buisness is a godsend when you buy crap games. But then again, they always quibble :rolleyes:

10. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

The EB here is pretty good about things. They actually get 'model' boxes and cases all around the store, then keep the original in the back store room (untouched). Although the guys that work there are idiots and don't know much about games (the only thing they ever talk about (which is all the damn time, even when they have customers) is Dungens and Dragons.)

11. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Maybe they just hate you Liquid...

12. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

ive never had no problems with game, they always give me what i want :) ;)

but seriously, why do you care about mint condition ? what you gonna do? collect it ? PLAY THE GAME!

13. Liquid K9

I know I'm buying the GAME, not the CASE, but I still dont like the idea of people interfering with it. A couple weeks ago, I bought Return to Castle Wolfenstien, it came with 2 CD's but they put it in a case thats supposed to take 3 (has a big '3' where you put the CD's)... I had to go back to the store (thinking I was missing a CD) only to find out they just put it in the wrong DVD-Case; that was 2-hrs out of my life for nothing!

Maybe I should just buy from Amazon.co.uk (I'd save money anyhow, inc delivery!).

14. MadSkunkBurner

MadSkunkBurner What's a Dremel?

no talk of warez or illegal patches or anything of that nature please

cderalow

15. 273BeLow

273BeLow What's a Dremel?

I quite like Game to be honest but after starting work last year and blowing most of my pay on games alone (several hundred of my first pay) I get treated quite nice in the one branch :)

The only thing that irks me about them is their server thing they try and peddle for a tenner a month or whatever it is.. for Non UK people it's like a really lame version of Gamespy or the all mighty ASE (best free app ever to a gamer) only well they charge stupid ammounts for it.

Anyhoo.. Matrix game and GTA:VC out on the 16th and I'm skint after buyign a 9700 Pro... mum I need you a minute! ;)

16. CrOaKeR

CrOaKeR Host warrior 4, Vengence!

I used to like my local game (i have 2 in my local shopping centre) but recently they have this annoying habit of asking me if i need any help. I know they are only trying to be helpful, but when i have a question they always fail to answer it! I will no doubt still shop there though.

17. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

Liquid K9 i know how u feel mate. When I bought ut03, they got it at the back of the till, with a very tight plastic over it. The plastic was half wipped and it had a little scrath on the cd. The plastic was so tight, that it made the cds bend, and the manual was 2.:nono: ****s

18. Liquid K9

You do have to question Game's logic.. back to that GBA cartridge I returned, I was returning it because it wouldn't save my games. They only found out it was missing (they lost it :rolleyes: ) as they were shrink-wrapping it to go back on the shelves. IT DIDN'T WORK! so why were they putting it back on the shelves I ask you?! It was within ten minutes of returning it, so they DIDN'T EVEN test it (they couldn't even find it), but they were still willing to sell it to the unsuspecting public??

I really think Amazon.co.uk is going to be my future 'outlet' for games/software. At least you know there isn't any tampering when its hermetically sealed :D

19. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

on the whole they are good:baby:

20. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

just buy stuff off there web site...

It always comes factory sealed and you can still take it back to the shop on the 10 day return thing!!!

Take and most of the time it's cheaper or the same price even after you pay p&p and you get reward points!!

The only time I shop in the shop these days is when they send me a voucher (cos you can't use them on line :sigh: ) and then I only every buy buget PC games or 2nd hand stuff.