1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Why shouldn't I get a qnap has?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deathtaker27, 20 Nov 2018.

1. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

That's a good price.

I've got one arriving today for a customer, I'll post back once I've had a play with one

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

For £438 used like new on warehouse deals? No reason not to.

4. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

All I'd say is do you need a NAS? If so, do you need one that is quite so capable?

5. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

I have one server at home and 3 more I want to use, shared storage is easier then setting up glusterfs or ceph (lazyness) and I'm running out of space for plex and drives in my server, couldn't find a reason not to go to 5 bay, 2 bay isn't useful in my use case and 4 bay isn't much different in price

Also I can grab one in hk for £400 new :( this is so bad I was hoping for disencouragement

@saspro could you let me know the results of your initial testing would be very interested

6. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

8. saspro

saspro IT monkey

NAS arrive late yesterday afternoon, solidly built, easy drive installation.
    Software is good. Only thing to remember is SSD caching etc requires a lot of RAM. If you want to use a 4TB SSD cache it wants 16GB RAM really (although that's more of an enterprise feature.
    Tiering works, iSCSI works well.
    Tested with 10GB and it flies when using caching or tiering.

Overall it's a beast but depending on use case you may want the 8GB version (or upgrade later)

Not too sure about the speaker built in, shocked everybody is the office when it announced it was shutting down (but kind of makes up for lack of LCD screen).

9. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Damn you that makes me want it even more,

Was only looking at a 512gb cache tops for my use case

Great to hear about iscsi

Think I will try with the 2gb version and can always upgrade, I expect it's normal sodimms?

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

@saspro - any experience with Synology, and if so would you mind comparing and contrasting?

I'm also in the market for a NAS and think the RS1219+ looks likely to tick all of the boxes quite well, but the QNAP options seem more keenly priced for what you get.

11. saspro

saspro IT monkey

@deathtaker27 yeah, DDR4 SO-DIMMS (although they want you to buy therirs), only 1 slot though.
    @Mister_Tad This is actually replacing a Synology (Can't remember the model but it wasn't cheap) as it failed after 2 years (suspected PSU issue) but normally they're pretty solid.

We've got hundreds of NAS boxes scattered around sites as local backup copies and the usualy all the brands work out OK (& they get hammered). Buffalo are the only ones that the guys don't like using (they're very basic so reporting etc is a no-go).

deathtaker27 and Mister_Tad like this.