1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why you choose Apple products?

Discussion in 'General' started by VuduMaster, 4 Sep 2018.

1. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Yep, there would always be that one person that rings the landline after 10pm, looks of bemusement on everyone's faces as they pipe up.... "it's not for me" :worried:, then Dad would put on his usual telephone voice to answer and it would be one of his work chums, cue instant accent change!

2. MLyons

MLyons Half dev, Half doge. Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I only ever met her dad once very quickly actually. Was fine with her mum though. She actually broke it up with me as I was being an ass and showings off infront of someone. Was an interesting phone call

3. Ljs

Ljs Well-Known Member

The only Apple product I own is an iPhone SE.

Why? It's small (most phones these days are huge), does everything I want/need, and there is absolutely no faffing about.

Guest-56605 likes this.
  4. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

The very reason I use one for work is it's size, I previously had a 5s - basically an SE is a 6s mini (as has been previously stated).

EDIT - like the 6 series it also has both a 3.5mm jack and lightning connector, something Apple dropped with the 7 onward.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Sep 2018
  5. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

Say what you will about the Apple store. I had a very positive experience yesterday.

Booked 5pm appointment for the £25 battery swap on my wife's 2.5 year old 6s+. Picked up the phone at 5:50 with a brand new battery inside. Whole experience is quick and smooth, total time wife without phone: 40min, while she was distracted by shopping. Now the 6s+ should last another 3 years before a replacement is needed.

Her previous 4s lasted 4+ years and was only replaced because of battery life complaints. It was recycled by Apple for £75 voucher (at the time CEX offered about the same). £25 of which paid for the battery swap.

Byron C likes this.
  6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Whitelist Bit-Tech in your adblock!

The screen size thing is the one valid plus point to iPhones now, in my mind. If you want a decent-quality 4.x" screen, it's either that or an Xperia Compact. Those are literally the only choices. All the other Android-based 4.x" phones are horribly compromised in quality in one or more ways (usually cheap cameras and crap internal storage).

I recently started advising customers against buying Macbook Pro and Macbook Air because of the terrible troubles in trying to get them serviced and repaired and the great lengths Apple are now going to with planned obsolescence. Did an SSD upgrade on a 2017 Air and it was an absolute nightmare. I still recommend the pre-2016 Macbook Pros highly if people can find them, they were solid laptops. Ditto the older vs. newer iMacs; I did one disassembly on a new-style glued-together iMac, never again.

Also I'm a local IT bod and Apple are putting ever-greater legal pressure on local IT bods to not service Apple products at all and are effectively trying to eliminate my category of employ entirely, so I feel duty-bound not to send any money their way.

7. Zak33

Zak33 Staff Staff Administrator

I'm genuinely intrigued by people saying you don't need itunes anymore?

If you have 300 + music CD's how do you get them onto you Iphone? Can you copy/paste now then?

If you have some old photo's you want on your new Iphone, can you copy/paste into it? I assume people don't email themselves !

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I don't use Apple products any more, I think we've established that by now, but for both I'd guess the answer is the same: iCloud.

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Silly wabbit, you don't own CDs, you buy your music from the iTunes store [on your phone]. Owning your music... how quaint. /s
    And your photos go to/via iCloud*

*iCloud is not a backup and should never be used as such.

Last edited: 24 Sep 2018
  10. Zak33

Zak33 Staff Staff Administrator

see.. you have to get it to the cloud, right? How do you do that? I got a new CD last week... how do I get that "up there"?

(This isn't aimed at Halfacre... he's only partly involed now being who is he and not being an Apple lad)

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

AFAIK. You don't.

You can rip it to your machine, but unless you've got your media folders uploading to iCloud or what have you, you're up a certain creek without a certain implement.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Step one, like @RedFlames sez, is to get with the times and stop buying physical media. Why would you want something in glorious lossless format that is yours to own in perpetuity, including the right to sell it on should you so wish, when you could buy an ephemeral digital copy compressed using only the finest lossy algorithms and subject to removal from your catalogue any time the provider feels like it? Pff.

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

you either:
    buy it through iTunes...
    rip it with desktop iTunes then pay apple to match it with something from the iTunes library using iTunes match [just gloss over the fact that it deletes/overwrites your ripped copy and your music goes bye-bye if you cancel the sub].
    transfer it using the cable that's incompatible with the shiny new mac you just bought and/or using the software that doesn't work properly if you're a windows user.

...all so you not listen to it because there's no heaphone jack and you've broke the dongle or lost one of the wireless earpod things that fall out at the slightest errant head movement.

--former apple tech support drone.

Last edited: 24 Sep 2018
  14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The only Apple product I ever bought was a secondhand iPod Classic, because the car I owned at the time could control one via the steering wheel buttons.

15. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

There are many third party apps that can play music, some of those can accept drag+drop via webpage it generates. iTunes is only required to put music into the official Apple music app.

Same with photos, many third party apps you can use, a lot supports webpage file transfer. iTunes and/or icloud is only required for the official Apple photos app.

But as with all things Apple, the official app has the best OS integration. So you better pay them the money for your music needs. :nono:

16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

That is the dumbest thing I've heard for a long time. In what world does that make even a modicum of sense?! Jesus christ, Apple, what the ****..

17. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

Doh, I should read the post better

18. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

or use a Sandisk wifi memory stick to put your ripped music on and stream from that...

19. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Or just get a Spotify / Tidal subscription, I mean come on... who wants to own their music anymore?

20. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Or rent some webserver, upload your rips to it and stream from that.