1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Widescreen LCDs to cater for 90% of market by 2011

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Sep 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I like my widescreen even though I wasn't sure I was going to like it

3. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Is Simon pre or post op?

4. iggy

iggy Minimodder

its actually simone

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's actually Birgit, but whatever... :confused:

6. roshan

roshan What's a Dremel?

Can any on tell me why wide screen is better option than standard 4:3 ratio? I understand most of movies are using wide screen, for games is it a better option? .When i am gaming i personaly feel if i can see more hight it's better for exploration,specially playing RPGs or games like Tomb Raider,Devil May Cry4.

7. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

[​IMG]
    a thoroughly unscientific explanation of the rationale behind widescreen monitors for roshan

i love my 24" widescreen, but i really wish my netbook had a 4:3 screen. 600px is just too short.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2008
  8. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I quite like widescreen for gaming and watching movies, but outside of those activities I start to miss the vertical resolution. With vertical resolution as my determining factor, 24" monitors at 1920x1200 are pretty much the smallest widescreens I'm comfortable using (I'm currently accustomed to 1600x1200). Of course, I'd absolutely love to have a 30" widescreen, and I'm pretty sure a 4:3 screen at that size would be very awkward to use.

Mmm, a 30" wide flanked by my current 20" and 17" 4:3 screens would work quite nicely. I've no idea what I would do with the space, but it'd do quite nicely.

9. roshan

roshan What's a Dremel?

Thanks brother (supertoad)!. the image link explains the thing beautifully. The concept behind wide screen is all about viewable area of your eyes is better fitted to wide screen than to the standard 4:3 ratio screen.But when the screen gets bigger (22inch or more) it does not matter whether you have a wide screen or a standard screen ,since the LCD area is exceeding your eye’s viewable area ,unless you sit a bit back form the normal position.

10. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I prefer widescreen, but this website and most are not optimized for widescreen content so bit-tech has huge bars on the side while still requiring me to scroll alot, Larger widescreen monitors don't really help that much either.

as of now I have a widescreen monitor and a 4:3 crt as my secondary, it's the best of both worlds

11. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Cupboard wants narrow screen. Cupboard gets cross when people announce new widescreens. Cupboard in a bit of a sulk.

12. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

widescreens are narrow screens when turned on end.

13. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

But perhaps someone should market a screen as narrow, then users have the option to turn it.

14. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I swear by my widescreen. The way I see it, a widescreen is just a normal screen with added width, not a normal screen with reduced height (the clue's in the name). So my 19" widescreen is just my old 17" standard with added width, so suits me perfectly.

Unless you're playing Bioshock. Then it's just a 22" with reduced height. :lol:

15. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I prefer 5:4 monitors for most stuff. My primary monitor is a 24" 16:10 screen, though.

Wide screens are better when editing pictures from SLR cameras.
    For web surfing, reading and writing a WS is pretty much a waste as you will in most cases need more height than width.

I don't see the point of having WS screens on laptops, though. They are useless for gaming and editing pictures (Yes, they are useless. I don't care if it's called a "gaming laptop" or not. It's still shite!). Also, many models come with low resolution screens, which make most web pages feel cramped.

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I don't like widescreen because it makes all of my favorite wallpapers useless ...Especially one that I have been using for years

I don't plan on buying an LCD for years anyway ... unless they can manage to get rid of all the lag and be as fast as my P95F is

and NO , they're not. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean that nobody else can see the lag on LCD's

17. cebla

cebla What's a Dremel?

My 24" widescreeen runs at 1920X1200. I don't think that many people have more vertical resolution than that so it doesn't make any difference on the web. Also its better to have a more narrow column of text as you can read it faster. If its too wide then you have to scan back to far when moving down lines and you can lose what line you were on so it doesn't bother me that most websites don't use my full screen.

The real benefit is when you’re working on two documents at once or you’re doing some coding. In Visual Studio there are heaps of tools that I have docked around my code window. If I had the same number of tools and I didn't have widescreen my coding area would be very small, but as it is I still have more code viewing area than a lot of other people I know. Visual Studio lets you have the tools slide in from the side when you want them instead of docking them there which is what a lot of other people do. The problem with this is that it takes longer to get at what your after as you first have to make it slide in. The widescreen is great for this.

My XPS laptop also has a 1920 X 1200 resolution. It’s only a 17" screen, but I can still read it. It has all the same advantages for me as the 24". And you honestly can't tell me its crap for gaming because up until Crysis it played everything I ever tried at 1920 X 1200 on high settings quite well and its over two years old now.

18. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

I want 40" 2560x1600 .

Tags: Add Tags