1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wierd Power Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by turbosatan, 22 Apr 2006.

1. turbosatan

turbosatan What's a Dremel?

I think i broke it this time

i got mad and ripped off my northbridge fan a few days ago as it had decided to hum at me louder than my tv

so i bought a nexxxos nb cooler and put it in a loop with a swiftec storm and d5 pump rad and a new dd res

the only thing i get now is the power goes on for a short burst then back off then on then off etc etc

the pulses are approx 1/2 a second between and im struggling to see what the problem is.

on the odd occasion it will start up completely but doesnt post.

using a dfi lanparty nf4 sli
    3700+ san diego
    7800 GTX
    1gb geil 1 ram
    several hdd

i got a bit to much thermal paste on the northbridge when installing the waterblock and was wondering if that might be something to do with it.

look forward to your replies.

thanks

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

It sounds like something could be shorting; I'd make sure that no paste found its way onto the motherboard PCB and reseat the block if necessary.

3. turbosatan

ok ill check that

what is the best thing to remove thermal paste if there is any on there?

4. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

i think its fairly common sence you can use just about anything just be gentle and dont scratch the motherboard.

5. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Arctic Silver makes an excellent cleaner/conditioner package but rubbing alcohol or even acetone will work as well.

6. turbosatan

i hate thermal paste

as far as i can tell its my processor down the pan

the mobo get past power on stage according to the leds that tell you where its at

dfi lanparty board has all 4 leds on

if it gets to 3 leds thats when it has detected the cpu and it doesnt get to there

so im off to test components now as my uncle has a sempron based pc which i am hoping is a socket 939

if not i guess im screwed

quick question aswell regarding watercoolling and static
    i have my water cooling rig built up in a small case that stands next to my pc which is not grounded as it doesnt have its own psu

i seemed to be getting some static buildup when i was attaching the wb to the northbridge and the cpu

could that be the answer to how i destroyed my components?

anyways wish me luck or ill be stuck using this damn powerbook for the next 3 weeks :sigh: