1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Wife smashed her phone. How to save data ? otg hdmi / usb out)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stephen0205, 4 Aug 2021.

1. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Hi fellas, so i have a .... sad one really.

The missus has dropped her phone. Screen totally black and cracked. New screen gonna be 110 fitted (going by the price that's gotta be a china clone one too)

She has no insurance on it. Sadly "did not" get around to setting up the "google stuff", so there is absolutely no backup of the thousands of pics of the kiddo, and even her phone numbers are all stuck on it.

Shes not got long to go on her phone contract, a few months and doesn't want to upgrade as she likes the phone (Huawei p30). So I'm now torn with what to do.

Looking at ebay I can get a used phone same one for 100-150 ish. But she looses everything. I could pay the 110 and get a crap quality screen or fake one and it might be ok, might not.

My third option which I'm hoping will work and someone can confirm. The phone turns on, the screen flickers colors so I assume its working, it vibrates when emails and messages come through.

Could I purchase something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-IC...keywords=usb+c+hdmi+otg&qid=1628111190&sr=8-2

EDIT: or even one with power delivery https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Al...ld=1&keywords=usb+c+hub&qid=1628110683&sr=8-4

And control the phone from a connected USB mouse ?, with hdmi out ?, set up all the "google stuff", to save her data, and just buy her a used phone.

edit: More wondering If anyone owns one, will it promp for USB selection or interaction on the phone ?

Shes using the spare p20 lite we have kicking around.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2021
  2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Generally phones these days will protect themselves from external interfaces without permission via the screen. A fairly sensible security precaution, but a pain in this sort of situation.

3. slimithy

slimithy Minimodder

IIRC the P30 does support HMDI and mouse/keyboard input, so that splitter should work, but I would do a little more research on one that definitely does work on it.

4. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Yeah it supports the output. Ive bought one that should work, be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed

She's gone ahead and paid her contract off and ordered herself a new phone ....without wait to see what can be done with this one :duh:, think she bought the Xiaomi mi10t pro, and went onto amazon and a case and screen protector is on route (least we have those this time :) )

So fingers crossed I can get it working tomorrow and get her stuff off it, if so happy days, if not life lesson for her with the "google stuff" :)

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup should work fine for the P30, normally what happens is you get display mirroring as its default and you can use a drop down to get a desktop experience, think it is called touchpad mode on the dropdown, where the phone screen becomes a mouse pad, which might be an issue if it is sending random signals, but usb mouse should overide which might be a nicer environment for copying files etc.

Note that the Xiaomi don't support such features on their phones, so if it is functionality you use generally you might be disappointed with the mi10, I was surprise to find that out after buying such a high end Xiaomi.

You can buy displaylink cables which is like an external usb gpu for your phone but I can comment on how good they are.

Last edited: 5 Aug 2021
  6. slimithy

slimithy Minimodder

This is women we are talking about, right? Because my missus had a bumper case and screen protector on her P30, but it didn't stop her jumping in the hot tub with it in her back pocket :wallbash: lol
    Anyway, the Xiamoi phones usually come with bumper cases and screen protectors already fitted, so you might want to hold off opening them until your phone arrives so you can check, that way you can at least get a full refund if you don't need them :thumb:

If your P30 works fine with that splitter, don't get rid of it, find a cheapo 4:3 monitor and turn it into a retro gaming machine.

7. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

ha good
    Yeah they come with the standard condom case and a rather rubbish pre-applied protector like my mi11 did, I'm honestly just happy she thought to buy them, the case was even a spiegen, and the protector even has a glass camera protector.

the adapter should be here within a few hours, so fingers crossed it works. I dunno what ill do with it tbh, it has the kirin chip on it so it's not a great emulation chipset, and I run my emulation on my SNES mini and modded ps3 at the moment so wouldn't be needed (altho totally gonna try that if it works, maybe make a video since they're seems to be next to none for that phone)

I'm for ordering the screen from Ali express for £45 and giving it a punt tbh, i haven't done a screen on a phone since they were as easy to replace when it was the iPhone 5, 2 screws, lift, undo flex cable and fire the new one on and done, I dunno, haven't decided yet, her data Is the important bit. After that i dunno, it might be best to sell it.

I have this hunch that if I bought a screen and fixed it, she would go back to it in a heartbeat and the new phone would get sold or left in a drawer. Which would defeat the purpose of her paying off her contract and taking out a new one ...... she doesn't make things simple lol

Should hear all the moaning I'm getting about how our spare phone is rubbish (p20 lite), and slow, and has a crappy screen, and not a god camera, Was sure to point that out every time I showed her a phone and she went i don't need to know specs, will I notice the difference was her reply.... sigh.

But has agreed to sit down with me for an hour to learn how to save all her stuff incase something happens in future, so small steps i suppose

8. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Well looks like my little plan worked.

Not at first the phone had to be unlocked first, and I wasn't sure if it was working for the touch inputs, so I touched the screen on and off for about 10 mins, connecting it to the pc making sure it was on, and hoping to hit the right numbers to unlock if the screen worked.

It didnt.

So I though I cant do it with a mouse if I cant see the screen .......But the keyboard. DING DING DING. Connected my keyboard to the adapter, hammered in the keys for it to unlock and boom, picture on screen.

Turns out the touch screen was working after all its the screen that was buggered. So I logged her in, backed up everything on the phone, done a sync, it even updated the details on the phone shes using.

Quite happy with myself now

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Krikkit, Omnislip, wolfticket and 7 others like this.
  9. slimithy

slimithy Minimodder

Great stuff, glad you got it sorted :rock:

10. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

I did but I came home from my dads with another project. Happened a while ago, he bought a new phone, I was telling him about the wife and he goes. oh my old smashed one is still there your welcome to it.

Now I'm down the rabbit hole looking up screens, backs, and camera lense replacements :clap:

11. satisfiedwimp

satisfiedwimp Minimodder

I had the same problem screen was completely gone but still the phone lives. Tonight I have managed to retrieve all pictures onto my laptop. Phew...

stephen0205 likes this.
  12. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I wonder if this would work for my mother in law's smashed Samsung S7?

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Should do as it supports HDMI outputs apparently.

This is a great solution to disaster phones, I must remember it for when one of my friends/family inevitably does this! Thankfully the really clumsy ones are all on Apple so I can wash my hands of them :D

stephen0205 likes this.
  14. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

THE HEATHENS!

Should do, double-checked and yup like @Krikkit said, It supports hdmi out :). Give it a whirl

Yhas. Defo a win

Arboreal likes this.