1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wife's Despair - Finished!! 19 June 2006

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by steelyglint, 9 May 2006.

1. steelyglint

steelyglint What's a Dremel?

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I realise all the picture links are broken. Damn image hosting changed the codes and I do not have the time to relink all the pics.

You can see all the pics HERE but they are kind of in reverse order...sorry :blush:
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

This is my first post here but have lurked for a good while as I felt my projects were not worthy...until now :D

This project began months ago when my CM Stacker case was delivered and my wife was heard to say (in best sarcastic voice) 'Could you not have got a bigger case?'.

A challenge was made! A few phone calls and posts on a 'Wanted' forum and I was the proud owner of an empty Dell 4100 server case...for free :thumb:

[​IMG]

It's a bit grubby but not dented at all.

[​IMG]

A naked shot which shows just how much metal goes into this thing.

[​IMG]

My thoughts are to pretty much strip out the whole interior so as to flip the mainboard to the opposite side (and upside down). It will be watercooled with a triple 120mm radiator in the front with a pair of visible tube-type resevoirs in the front panel. The rad, pump and PSU will be in the left side section while the rest of the gear goes in the right side. This will effectively separate the heat from the rad from the mainboad etc.
    Thats the ideas...may change as we go on :D

Lower drive cage is going to have to go...

[​IMG]

As are the dual PSU bays...

[​IMG]

Old mainboard tray and other bits to chop out...

[​IMG]

Next...cutting stuff up :dremel:

Last edited: 10 Nov 2006
  2. steelyglint

Thought I would share with you my workhorse rig...

[​IMG]

Back to the project. Started cutting and drilling stuff out of the case. These Dell servers are really well built. I lost count of the number of rivets holding the mainboard tray in, but it came out eventually.

Here it is along with my faithful assistant

[​IMG]

Power supply bays took an age to remove.

[​IMG]

Loads of space! Now for the lower drive bays.

[​IMG]

Dell have these stickers all over the place.

[​IMG]

With good reason I guess :duh:

[​IMG]

Case is really dirty so I went at it with a pressure washer...drying in the sun.

[​IMG]

Going to need an ATX backplate so I dissassembled and old case...no before photo so here is my third hand holding it together for the shot.

[​IMG]

And the whole case frame in pieces.

[​IMG]

Some more drilling to get through ther spot-welds.

[​IMG]

It's free!

[​IMG]

Test fitting the mainboard and backplate...seems to fit just fine.

[​IMG]

Next problem is where to place the PSU. Somewhere here should do the job.

[​IMG]

I could put it higher up but my Homer Simpson easter egg may melt from the heat :D

[​IMG]

Lots more cutting and the whole rear of the case is liberated. My ears are still ringing from the noise of the jigsaw. I will wear ear defenders next time.

[​IMG]

A shot of my new toy. One rivet gun with assorted rivets. I get the odd feeling this may come in handy.

[​IMG]

More jigsaw deafness and I have rough shape to the new backpanel. Now where did I put my ear defenders? Hint: Shure E3 headphones work pretty well as ear defenders.

[​IMG]

Test fitting mainboard tray with backplate.

[​IMG]

3. steelyglint

Quick cuts later and the PSU mounting from the old case is installed. Must tidy up those jagged edges at some point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New PSU arrived today. Hiper modular PSU in blue. Some eye candy for you.

[​IMG]

I think it deserves a little 'support'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BIG box arrived a few days ago from Alphacool.de. No one sells any decent gear in Ireland so I have to import everything. One triple 120mm rad, two resevoirs, pump and assorted goodies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After all the excitement of unwrapping I think I need a little rest.

BTW, all comments, good or bad, are welcome, as are any suggestions as to colour and style (as I have no idea!).

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

looking nice!!!

5. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Sweet case! What color are you going for? The white looked good. Keep it up!

6. steelyglint

Thank you for the kind comments folks :thumb:

Not too sure about colour (or anything else really!) This project seems to be evolving as I go along.
    I'm very tempted to go with matt black for all interior sections and possibly a dark red for the outside panels.
    Of course its also likely I will change my mind :D

Hopefully a small update later today.

7. steelyglint

A break in the never ending stream of photos perhaps. A little background on me may (or not) be of interest.
    My name is Daniel and I'm rapidly approaching 40 years of age. I'm living and working in Ireland for the last 7 years but am originally from England. I have been working as a psychiatric nurse for the past 20 years.
    My PC history is long and boring :D Started out at school with a Reseach Machines 380z . I wonder if anyone else here used one of these?
    For the last few years I have been building my own rigs as well as a few for other people. Up until now I have resisted the temptation to do any major mods as I felt I did not posess the skills...time will tell :hehe:
    My current machine is based on an Abit KV8 Pro with AMD 64 300+ and 1gb of basic PC3200. This is housed in a Coolermaster Stacker along with an Nvidia 660gt, all cooled by a dual 120mm rad, Asetec pump and CPU block and an Innovatech GPU block. Fans are Akasa Ambers. Monitoring is by a Matrix Orbital 510 VFD. Finishing off is a Philips 200W 20" widescreen LCD and Logitech MX510 mouse.
    Most of the above gear will be transferred into the new case with a few new goodies along the way. I had planned to move to a Skt 939 with X2 cpu and new graphics card but my children were complaining about having nothing to eat already :D

On with the project!

Time to make some space for the ATX backplate. I remembered to wear ear protection today so no more ringing ears from the jigsaw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bit of fettling with some aluminium channel...

[​IMG]

Much drilling and a fair few rivets later we have a firmly attached back plate and some much needed ridgidity back in the case.

[​IMG]

Dell obviously did not expect this case to be fitted with a big rad, so inconveniently the three fan grills are way out of line. No choice but to cut them out and test fit the rad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want to mount the res tubes so they are just outside of the front of the case...will look sweet with some UV dye and a cold cathode or two.
    More aluminium (so much easier to cut than steel)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spacers made from more aluminium channel...handy stuff. I'd better go get a few more bits.

[​IMG]

Thats all the updates for tonight. All comments and suggestions are most welcome.

8. steelyglint

Update for 12 May 2006

A few smaller jobs today. Must get round to making a list of stuff to do...just winging it at the moment which may come back to bite me.

Making a bracket for the pump

[​IMG]

Hole cut for rear fan mount

[​IMG]

Reusing the drive cage from the butchered case. Should get plenty of airflow from the rad fans.

[​IMG]

Cutting left hand side panel for windowing. I like simple shapes and these should allow peeking without being too over the top. I'm thinking clear plexi for the windows but I may go with a tint.

[​IMG]

The edges cleaned up and holes drilled and coutersunk.

[​IMG]

Right hand panel cut. This will allow a better view of the goodies within!

[​IMG]

As before...holes drilled and countersunk, edges cleaned.

[​IMG]

Both panels in all their glory :clap:

[​IMG]

Take a break here...but more to come soon.

9. steelyglint

Still May 12 2006! Another update.

Cutting hole and mount for bottom fan. Placed here to cool the mainboard components before being drawn out of the rear fan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just for the fun of it I thought I would check out pipe routing for the watercooling system. I reckon it will need a few changes and less elbows but you get the general idea.

[​IMG]

Made a little plate to take the pass-through connectors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some detail on the resevoir piping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats enough for today.
    All comments, suggestions etc always welcome.

10. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

Just curious, because it's not my project, but why did you make such a large loop for the connection pipe between the two resevoirs? You could have just made a small piece of tubing for in between them, if you were to turn the outlet/inlet angle connectors to face eachother.

11. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

prob for looks, ;-)

very nice so far mate

12. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

very clean, lookign good dude...

and as with water.....less connections, less possible leaks :thumb:

it looks like a nice case to mod. dells seem to be realaltivly simple and i think it makes then look good.

mod on dude!

gaz

13. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

I'd try to use as few right angle bend connectors as possible as the sharpe change in angle will be more detremental to flow than a smoothly curved pipe. Also as already said, a short peice of pipe to connect the two res would be better than a long bent one.

Other than those minor points, some really nice work going down. Keep it up and it could turn that old case into a thing of beauty. Also whats the pan to fill the space with? or is this being done out of the challange to beat the stackers for size?

14. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

In a case that large I wouldnt use any angle pieces at all. Especially with small tubeing. With 1/2inch it makes sense. With 1/4 inch it just kills flow.

15. invalid

invalid What's a Dremel?

Diggin this one. Will keep an eye on it.

16. steelyglint

Great minds think alike...was only after looking at it for a while that I realised I'd missed the obvious on this one.

Originally I was going to put two complete Pc's in the case, and I still might eventually. Probably I will add another waterloop when I upgrade the internals. Planning on a dual-core, SLI rig and will also watercool the hard drives so space for another pump and rad will come in handy.
    And yes...larger than a Stacker has to be good. I have no idea where I'm going to put this thing though as my better half is annoyed enought at my Stacker and assorted stuff being in the kitchen :D

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions...keep them coming.
    No modding for me for the next six days as I'm working 12 hour days until next Friday. Guess it pays the bills :thumb:

17. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

Time to add on to the house. :D

18. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

wow. looks amazing. you have inspired me *starts looking for a old server case*

19. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

thats realy nice.
    *also now looking for a server case*

20. strikefighter2

strikefighter2 What's a Dremel?

yea really nice
    "not really looking for an old server" :naughty: