1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wife's Despair - Finished!! 19 June 2006

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by steelyglint, 9 May 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

awesome work, steelyglint. Your front page spot was not undeserved.. ;)

Gotta say, this gives me some interesting ideas for a new box of my own...

2. steelyglint

steelyglint What's a Dremel?

Only a minor update as I've been ill with flu so not doing too much.

Finally worked out how to mount the VFD and floppy bay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the final result mounted in the case.

[​IMG]

Fixed in the mesh for the large front panel and the polished rings over the switches.

[​IMG]

Decided I didn't like the existing hard drive cage, so I 'borrowed' the drive bays from my Stacker.
    Sprayed it black and bolted it through the rear fan mount. Much better.

[​IMG]

Next jobs on the list is to start work wiring all the fans, VFD etc. Waiting on a couple of blue UV IDE cables as my existing ones look horrible.

More soonish.
    Keep the comments and suggestions coming.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

lookign fab.

4. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

great been looking at this from the start
    cant wait to see it finished and taking up most of the room in one of ur rooms!
    that thing looks massive! lol
    gd luck with the rest

5. steelyglint

Many thanks for the kind comments.

I'm really very suprised at how much interest my first 'real' mod has had.
    Compared with many here it is quite simple but the pleasure it has given (and continues to give) me is immeasurable. I have certainly learned a few new skills along the way and credit must go to the many people who have shown interest and commented in some way.

Keep the comments and suggestions coming as they are all valuable to me :thumb:

6. WizZard

WizZard What's a Dremel?

It's gorgeous. Very, very nice mod.

7. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

its looking great! that color actually works pretty well.
    yknow, i never liked the look of the stacker drive cage, but it looks a lot better painted black, i'll have to try that.

8. Stwongbad

Stwongbad What's a Dremel?

Love the mod and especially the colors , I actually didnt think it was THAT huge ( I was thinking 2 micro-atx cases next to eachother) until...I saw one.

I was wandering around after school and saw an old dusty beige one in a computer lab (irony is i never took that class) and Imediatly thought of this mod and it is huge. so, props man because that case is a monster. :rock: (aswell as keeping track of skrews/rivets...that case must have thousands!)

9. steelyglint

Apologies for the gap in posting. Have been a tad busy.

Back to the good stuff :clap:

With just one or two tweaks left this is pretty much the final update. I'll sum up after the eye candy.

Spraying the PCI slot covers and the ends of my small UV lights...taken from an arty angle so as not to bore you :naughty:

[​IMG]

The small lights in position behind the resevoirs....had to paint the ends black or they would have looked horrid

[​IMG]

A shot of the front of the beast with lights
    (Note to self..must get round to programmming the VFD)

[​IMG]

Night shot of the lights both inside and front

[​IMG]

Package arrived from PC-Look....damn good job it was only a few cables as I doubt anything else would not have survived. Sent the courier the photo and an email...no response :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Close up of the inside with new UV reactive IDE cables

[​IMG]

Daylight shots of the outside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the inside

[​IMG]

More to follow......

10. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Bravo, thats a great mod, terrific, the blue tone is a great finsih and the outisde resoivoirs are a great touch, expically with the blue liquid and glow...
    One hell of a battered box BTW, what was in there? Suprised it was'nt in peices lol.
    The hanging PCI covers, hanging from the raffters is a great piece of modern art, should be in the tate...

11. steelyglint

Just a few spare photos to tempt you

A couple of arty, detail shots as everyone seems to like them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I finally managed to get the time to program the Matrix Orbital display.
    Is it just me...or is LCDC the most annoying bit of software ever? Just me then!
    Managed to get it to display temps and fan speeds, and to control the fans via the keypad. Also controls Media Monkey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just so we don't forget...before and after

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats pretty much the end...may post a shot or two of the small details as they happen.

I would like to thank everyone here on Bit-Tech who has encouraged and given comments. Every word has been very much appreciated.
    Large thanks also to Alphacool.de and PC-Look for their prompt deliveries and excellent range of the good stuff (do I get any freebies for the mention?) :D

Finally, my wife, Linda really should get a round of applause from everyone here for her inspiration and patience :clap:

Until next time.......... :thumb: :dremel:

12. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

She definately does! :clap: Especially as she chose the colour - I think it looks great! Well done steelyglint for the front-page and the project itself - well done Mrs. glint for the colour choice and patience.

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

wow..........

fantastic....

14. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Well done. That's a great effect from one ordinary looking box you started with :thumb:

15. forester joe

forester joe shhh. can you hear your PC?

sweeeet :thumb:
    I really sisn't belive it was going to come out this good.

you really pulled it off - big time :clap:

16. foundsoul

foundsoul What's a Dremel?

Nice job i been hunting for one of these big server cases forever hard to get ahold of.

17. Al Terego

Al Terego What's a Dremel?

Wow..the end result is superb! Can't wait to see what you have planned next..maybe an even bigger case? or go the other side of the spectrum..and the smallest case you can find..

18. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

i like the fact that the tubes are the only things which are 'viewable'. i hate it, if you can see the pink ligt ov the uv ccfl or led.

19. steelyglint

I really appreciate all the positive comments. :thumb:
    This is my first 'real' mod so I was not expecting such a good response....especially as I didn't have much of a plan when I started.

'What next' is a very good question. I think I've pushed my luck here with the big case so I reckon it's going to have to be smaller...at least a bit anyway :D

I've always liked the Akasa Eclipse case and everyone says its solid and well built....but I'm going to put some feelers out and see what I can get for free...maybe an old desktop case for a change...watercooled of course.

I will, of course, post a log as soon as I have some ideas and make a start...although I have a few loose ends to do on this one yet. I need to swap out the mainboard as the one I threw in is no good for overclocking (no AGP/PCI lock) and put back my Abit KV8 pro. I'm waiting on a 7800gs and matching waterblock to get a few mroe FPS :naughty:
    I also need to put some wheels on this beast as its almost impossible to lift on my own now....its almost 100kg fully loaded :eeek:

I'll post updates when I have them.

And again...thanks for the encouragement :clap:

20. Bullitdodger

Bullitdodger If it ain't broke....Tweak it.

Yummyness.......