1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wifey, she say yes to ADSL!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GreatOldOne, 15 Mar 2002.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Ok. I've got the purchase order signed by 'er in doors ;), so I need some advice now.

I'll be going for wires only install, probably from PIPEX (although that isn't set in stone - I'm open to suggestions)

I'll be putting smoothwall on an old Celery366 that has a couple on NICS in it, and use that as a firewall.

What else do I need? I have a Lan with Two XP machines on it, (possibly a LINX box in the future as well), and the smoothwall box, all hanging of a 4 port 10baseT hub.

Questions:

- Are all microfilters created equal? Or are some more equal than others - what 'brand' should I get?
    - Do I need a ADSL modem, or a router? Brands?
    - Do I also need a Hardware firewall in the router / modem? (or will smoothwall sufice?)

Any advice would be gratefully acepted!

Thanks in advance,

GOO

2. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

no idea on the microfilters.
    You do need a modem or router (as wires only u have to buy the equipment), try www.btofaq.net for links and www.adslguide.org.uk for some reviews on routers.
    Smoothwall will be enough but I would also put software firewalls on your machines the normal zonealarm will do. But thats just me being parnoid.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2002
  3. GreatOldOne

Yep, I know I need a modem, but what I meant was router or modem - what would be better?

4. herbs

The general opinions are the usb modems are poor, a router is a better way to go. But dabs do 2 pci adsl cards if you want to go down that route. I have the frog but its on a machine that is acting as a firewall/router and it has worked well.
    I had a quick look on adslguide and they have a router being reviewed which is similar in price to the modems, so I would go with that if I were you.

5. GreatOldOne

Cheers M8....

Time to start spending that bonus!:D

6. pszaro

pszaro What's a Dremel?

As for routers, go with the Netgear boxes. [ RT311 or RT314]

I got mine about 2 years ago, and no problems to date!!

-www.netgear.com

7. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

those netgear things are meant for sharing broadband that has an ethernet port to connect to - you first need an ADSL modem - or and ADSL 'router' which is a modem & sharing router device all in one.

ADSL router better, but anything that works well enough with Smoothwall will do you fine.

8. Bathrug

Bathrug What's a Dremel?

With regards to routers ... not really needed as most PC's use either XP or some sort of netsharing thingy (proxy)

As for Modems ...... the acatel ones are fine and cheap.

Go with the flow ....

bu the way this is my first EVER post so forgive the bad etiqete

9. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

usb modems aint poor they go better then networks i found im not saying that they aint better for sum of u u choose to use the extra network card ne way i reakon that usbs are as good as network based modems

10. herbs

Nothing personal corvette but can you add some fullstops to your comments, I find it extremely difficult to read what you post.
    But if I understand correct your saying usb modems are better than NICs in most cases, if so a usb modem (ala winmodem) leaves all the processing to the cpu thus higher the cpu usage. This is ok on web browsing and emails etc, but not good for gaming and machines with a slow cpu.

11. corvette

no wat im saying is , usb isnt that bad, they might use more cpu useage, but they are way cheaper then the nic 1s,

12. relix

relix Minimodder

maybe, but then again you have the dataflow limit. USB isn't as fast as PCI or FireWire. It's relatively slow. Don't know about the price, that can be correct.

13. corvette

look u could go for motorola it runs usb and nics then he could choose whihch 1 is better for him

14. GreatOldOne

Thanks for all the advice guys - sorry I haven't replied sooner - I've been on holiday for two weeks.

But I'm back now!

15. GreatOldOne

Well - I've done it!:D

Ordered an ASUS ADSL router, a bunch of microfilters and signed up for PIPEX.

Modem should be here tommorow, and the confirmation from PIPEX should be at home now.

I can't wait! :hehe:

Now - how can I waste all this new bandwidth.....;)

Tags: