1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks WiFi not working after Windows 10 upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mwvirk, 31 Jul 2015.

1. mwvirk

mwvirk What's a Dremel?

My DELL Inspiron 15 (3521, Late 2012) was working fine when using WIN 8/8.1 but after upgrading to Windows 10, I am not able to connect to WiFi.
    Network icon on task manager is showing red X on it. Tried downloading the all latest driver from DELL website but still it's not working.
    Anyone please help. Thank you.

Note: I can't use internet on above laptop. I need to download/access internet from other computer and then bring it to laptop if there are any drivers available.

Last edited: 31 Jul 2015
  2. rollo

rollo Modder

Does the wifi device support windows 10?

3. mwvirk

mwvirk What's a Dremel?

Device Manager is showing that all drivers/devices including Network/WiFi/Bluetooth are perfect.

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Is this from an upgrade rather than a fresh install? If it is, I'd suggest doing a full reinstall over the top. It's easy enough. Just do NOT delete the OEM partition on the drive (last on the list) and you'll be golden.

My mouse pad didn't work on my laptop after the upgrade, even though it had the drivers. After a reinstall, everything works flawlessly. :)

5. mwvirk

mwvirk What's a Dremel?

it was a free upgrade :wallbash:

can i re-install/upgrade it and how? it's showing the option to go back to win 8.1 but will it give option to upgrade again to win 10 - not sure if it will fix the issue...

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

7. mwvirk

mwvirk What's a Dremel?

8. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

Check with your laptop manufacturer for a updated driver, Windows 10 may well have installed a duff driver on upgrade, so removing and reinstalling a new one might fix it.

9. TheMadDutchDude

You can reinstall, no problem.

All you need to do is delete the partitions (all bar the OEM one I mentioned), create a new partition, and install. It'll activate as soon as you connect to the internet again.

10. mwvirk

mwvirk What's a Dremel?

are you serious :clap: :clap: :clap:
    if i delete that partition then where i'm going to get OS again?
    only option is to revert back to win 8.1 but not sure if it will allow to upgrade (online) to win 10

at this moment, even if i buy win 10, problem will be the same that network/wifi is not accessible.

11. TheMadDutchDude

You can download them from the Microsoft links. They're easy to find. :)

Your Windows 8 key is installed into your BIOS, so you never need to worry about losing that. It will however become deactivated once Windows 10 is activated, as it uses that license to activate.

12. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Can you post the hardware ids from the device manager and I will see if I can find a win 10 driver

13. mwvirk

mwvirk What's a Dremel?

dell wireless 1705 802.11b|g|n (2.4ghz)

14. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I'm glad i saw this thread I wasn't sure if it would work. I have been having agro with a vanishing audio driver. May have to try the clean install route

15. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Wait, your laptop doesn't have a CoA sticker anywhere? No licence key at all for Windows? It doesn't matter that your laptop came with Win 8, that key is valid for Win 10.

16. mwvirk

mwvirk What's a Dremel?

windows 10 is having option to go back to factory setting by removing all personal files and app.
    that's fine... but i'm looking for option if i can upgrade windows 10 again which was earlier reserved one ago.
    another issue is, my laptop came with win 8 which was upgraded online to 8.1 - win 10 upgrade is not available for win 8 but only for win 8.1 - this case i might not b able to get win 10 again...

so only solution is to fix the network problem.

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

No, you can definitely use a Windows 8 key for Windows 10, Microsoft have explicitly allowed it.

As you've already done an upgrade to W10, you simply need to download the standalone installer again, and install a clean copy of W10 (best off a USB stick). You've already converted your W8 key in to a W10 by activating W10. This means you can install W10 as many times as you like on to that laptop without putting in the key, because it's tied to your hardware.

So:
    1) Download the W10 installer - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    2) Create install media (eg: USB stick)
    3) Reinstall W10 from media
    4) Skip entering a key, you've already activated your hardware

If it all goes tits up, just reinstall W8 and start again,

18. mwvirk

mwvirk What's a Dremel?

i was not able to activate my W10 as problem to connect to the internet started after upgrade. therefore W10 was not activated.
    i'm reverting back to factory setting and will reinstall win 10 when there is up upgrade... :(
    may be i should've revert back to W8.1 but rollback is already in progress to original state...

19. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

lots of windows 8/8.1 don't have a license sticker any ore, as the license is stored in the uefi bios

20. mwvirk

mwvirk What's a Dremel?

you are right. it now back to win 8 and downloading updates...