1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Wii for under $170?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 22 Aug 2006.

1. hardski

hardski What's a Dremel?

The PS3 is so gonna fail with Wii and Xbox360 under £200 and that overpriced Sony fanboy machine over £500 just for a unneeded BluRay drive!

Nintendo and Microsoft are offering next games machine at an affordable price, we want games not movies!

At least Microsoft is offering an add-on HD-DVD drive instead of forcing it on us gamers that are happy with nice cheap DVDs.

How much are BluRay games gonna cost? over £50? No games worth more than £50.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

B*****ks.

E.g. The X360 Premium (or whatever it's called) is $399 on Bestbuy.com
    $399 = £211: Add VAT and you get £247.93 (approx.)
    Here in the UK, we get a Premium for £280, that's a £32 premium (admitedly more than it should be, but only 13% extra, not forgetting it costs extra money to get things over to the UK).
    A Core system is £200 here in the UK, $299.99 at BestBuy.com
    $299.99 = £158.15, 158.15*1.175 = £185.83, giving us about £15 of extra moolah compared to the U.S. version. That's not even an extra 10%.

If the Wii is $170, working on the same formula as the Premium, we get one for about £117.33.
    Hardly £170 is it?

Whatever the price is, I'll be having one. :D

3. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

their $399 includes vat though, so you would have to subtract vat to make it fair

4. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

What about sales tax they add on at the till, always bugged me that did

5. Krikkit

Well how much is U.S. VAT? My point is that it simply WILL NOT be 170 notes (wtf, my keyboard has abandoned UK layout...).

6. dom_

dom_ --->

No one noticed the spelling mistake yet?

7. Saiyanora

Saiyanora What's a Dremel?

Nintendo are seriously undercutting the competition, I wonder if it will work. After all, wasn't the game cube rather cheap compared to the X Box?

8. MidnghtDrgn

MidnghtDrgn What's a Dremel?

Forgive my American ignorance, but what is VAT? Once I know that, can answer how much it is for us yanks.

9. Krikkit

Value Added Tax. A nasty thing which is added to some, but not all things sold in the UK. Currently 17.5%, although it's not changed in as long as I can remember, so it's pretty constant. :)

10. hardski

hardski What's a Dremel?

Does anyone actually think BluRay is worth the extra cost of the PS3?

Side by side Xbox360 and PS3 for games are neck and neck so why pay an extra £300 just to play HD movies?

The Xbox is easier to program for and also chaeper for developers to make games for it due to its superb XNA kit, even us gamers will be able to make some basic games soon!

Wii is offering a totally different approach, with its controller but at the end of the day it comes down to price.

Come Xmas when kids want a new console and even us adults why pay £500 when u get the same for just £200 or less!

Sony i think you made a big mistake this time around!

I expect to get abuse from the Playstation Fanboys so bring it on, im a neutral!! PC gamer but got interests in the console war!

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

yahoodam - We just call it sales tax, not VAT, but it varies from state to state. New Hampshire (and probably other states) has 0%, I've got 6% in-town, 5% in the rest of the state, etc. In any case, nowhere near the 17.5% VAT in any state... I think the highest is 9% or so for sales nationwide (we have 9% meals tax for the state, plus the 1% local, so 10% on meals, which is fairly high) But it's NEVER included in the price on websites. So don't subtract it. I'd pay about $425 after tax for a 360, so work from that. Though with many websites, you're not charged at all and are supposed to put it on your tax forms (nobody does, and this is only true when the business doesn't ship from a location within the state, ex Newegg only charges tax for CA, NJ and TN)

Anyways, I'd put my money on $199 (maybe £150ish?). Which I'd happily pay, assuming it lives up to the hype.

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The 17.5% is normally included in prices. Unlike in the US where tax is added when you get to the counter.

Online sales in the UK sometimes show both prices exc VAT/inc VAT. But the inclusive price MUST be displayed on an item.

13. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Like Krikkit said. If the wii is $170 or $250 then here in rip of UK will be £170 or £250 which is a little overpriced for a upgraded game cube with a new controller.

When you can get a game cube for £30 here with games or free in the skips outside Game and Gamestation it makes its upgrade expensive. Id get a new VGA card for my PC instead and bin my Game Cube.

Tags: Add Tags