1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Wii is an impulse buy, says Sony

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Feb 2007.

1. themax

themax New Member

Where was the article when Bill gates snubbed Sony by saying they were #1 and they were only in competition with the Wii? Despite the PS3 selling more units in a smaller timeframe in both territories than the Xbox 360?

2. naokaji

naokaji whatever

i have to agree with that.
    its like the wow thing....
    other mmorpg's (including sony's) aim for a far smaller market, wow goes and grabs all those guys that never play'd a game before...
    same goes for ps3 and wii....

3. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha New Member

You mean "rewording"? or "to be reworded"?

Sorry, it was just so ironic I couldn't resist :)

4. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Im sure Sony will berate the Wii until PS3 turns into the next Sega Saturn.

Im not that shocked that the Wii, a true gamers console imo, is doing better than the PS3 so far. Its cheap and its fun. PS3 is expensive and true value has yet to be seen in the games and Blu Ray, not really a casual gamers realm.

Good to know that Nintendo is not at all dead as most would have liked to think.

5. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan New Member

to me the sony rep sounds like a child whining when he/she don't get their way. personally what i have learned from trying to get my own wii is that you really have to want one bad to get it. even two months after its release there are people camping out in electronics stores in my town; its just madness. i had to practically sell my soul to get mine. i think that sony is just pissed because their system is not selling as much as they said it would.

on the other hand i would say that sony is right. the Nintendo wii is really more of an impulse buy than the PS3. if i wanted to get the PS3 i would have to go in to debt.

i think that sony needs to own up to the fact that Nintendo successfully re-defined "next generation". that phrase now means to me that there is a new group of people who are willing to play video games who are not the best button mashers in the world. you have all seen the videos of peoples parents and even grandparents playing the wii and doing pretty good at it. i have been a gamer for a long time, since the days of Atari and apple IIe, and since that time the lines of who plays and who does not were pretty clearly drawn. now thanks to Nintendo they have become lines in the sand once again. my hat is off to Nintendo for thinking outside the box. shame on sony for trying to put them down for that. :grr:

6. themax

themax New Member

Tell me where the Wii's true value in games has been seen? We've mostly got Wii sports, and Zelda that everyone harps on. How is it a true gamer's console? I need to know because those don't really make sense to me. I'm getting a Wii but I just don't see where comments like "True Gamers console" really have ground on a launch with the same amount of worthwhile games as the PS3.

7. WarMachine

WarMachine American Swine

Worthwhile games for the PS3?

Like what? Resistance? All I've seen of that game might as well be screenshots as almost every PS3 I've seen on display is locked up. Seriously, I've been to at least 4 retailers that have a frozen PS3 on display, or it's turned off altogether. Not a huge selling point, IMO. Why would I want to spend $600 on something that won't even work for a few minutes at a time as a display model? When I have had the rare chance to see one in action, I was not impressed at all.

I've was always a Sony player, even went as far as buying an original xbox when my PS2 crapped out, only to ebay it a few months later for another PS2. Now I have a 360, and if I do get another console, it will be a Wii.

I really think Sony sunk their own boat this time around.

8. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

Sony: Our Console is the most powerful system ever, our games are photo realistic
    Nintendo: Our games are fun
    Sony: Err Umm... photo realistic! *hides behind wall of outward blame*

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

not really....IIRC some statistics say that the 360 sold more consoles this Christmas than the wii and the ps3.

Now i measured it in a site called nexgenwars.com, and noticed that for a slice of time the wii sold more than the 360 and the 360 sold more than the ps3 .

10. Jokkocze

Jokkocze New Member

Well duh? Did you miss that there's a huge shortage of Wii's? >_>

11. LVMike

LVMike New Member

ahh sony....got to luv them.

Childish *******s

12. .exe

.exe New Member

there just jealous because the wii is wanted by more people than there ps3!!

:hehe: :hehe:

13. menace1six7

menace1six7 New Member

"the Wii is attracting new gamers to the market, while the PS3 is attracting hardcore gamers"

i wouldnt say the the wii is only just for new gamers. everyone that i know who is a gamer wants the wii over the ps3.

this statment is also false in terms of the attractiveness of the consoles. i would assume that a new gamer would go for the "all bells and whisles" console over the less powerfull one due to lack of knowledge of what is actually better because it seems like the "safer option"

however this is not the case with the ps3. it isnt taking off with new gamers because of the price, this makes the wii the safer option because you wont get burned on price if it all goes wrong with the console.

the wii isnt an impulse buy due to the fact that people are still queing up outside stores for them to open to get hold of one. this shows that thought has been put into the decision to obtain a wii instead of seeing one in a shop and getting it there and then. this isnt the case since there arnt any in the shops because they sell out in minutesof arriving into the store

Last edited: 3 Feb 2007
  14. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

What's wrong with something being an impulse buy anyway?

I bought my PSP on impulse, and if I get a Wii it would also be an impulse buy. Anything under £200 that seems to be good value for money I tend to buy on impulse.

Sony are just jealous as something priced at £500 isn't going to fit into the "oh that looks cool, I'll buy one while I'm walking past the store" category!

15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

Sony simply priced themselves out of the market, if the PS3 came out at the same pricepoint as the Wii it would be a sucess.

16. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

They're childish for pointing out the obvious?

I completely agree (for once) with Sony on this; the Wii is fun for five minutes then it gets dull and monotonous. People see a different form of gaming which is more accessible to the stereotypical non-gamer, and buy it on impulse. This is just my opinion, but dismissing Sony as childish for expressing their views on a competitor is a bit over the top.

17. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

Numbers Numbers Numbers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3.3 Wii's sold for each PS3 sold is not impulsive buying

If people really wanted the PS3 then all stocks in the world would be exhausted, preorders and queues everywhere. Sales would've very very quickly exceeded Wii's if what Sony says is true.

18. zoom314

zoom314 Member

Heck from What I've read even the Sony PS2 is out sellin the PS3. :D

19. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

What "category" does he want to be in?

In my opinion the PS3, Xbox 360 & Wii, are all in the same general category as the PS2, Nintendo 64, and Atari 2600: They are all game consoles. The only difference to me is that they are not all currently being produced. The PS3, Xbox 360 & Wii (as well as the PS2 & Xbox) may not all be from the same "generation" but I think it's fair to compare all consoles in the "currently being produced" category.

Imagine if there were only three automobile manufacturers in the world and each made only one model of car or van or truck or... Would each be in it's own category or would there only be one category with three choices?

20. themax

themax New Member

I wasn't referring to christmas. If you compare launches between the 360 and the PS3, the PS3 has sold more units withing the same timeframe that the 360 was capable of selling in both Japan and the U.S. Sony has yet to Launch in Europe to top it off.

I'm not agreeing with Sony's statement. But when people say baseless arguements like Nintendo being the only company thinking of the consumer I just have call em out on it. Why? Is it because they priced their hardware within your comfort zone? Since when was it taboo to push hardware to the limit. Microsoft did it and people knocked em for it, now they are doing quite well, not Sony is wrong for doing it too? And Nintendo, the same company that LIED to it's Gamecube owners about Zelda not going to the Wii is this great god gaming everyone has been waiting for becaue they instituted technology that has already been available and now it's "innovative"? I don't buy into buzzwords like most people do. If they are claiming motion sensing I'de expect link to swing his sword sideways when I swing sidways. I'de expcet linkg to mimic every MOTION of my controller. Not a pre-determined motion based on any motion the controller does. If they were so innovative it people wouldn't be confusing tilt sensoring with full motion like they do when comparing the PS3/Wii.

Tags: Add Tags