1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox One Wild speculation time! Next MS console

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Guest-16, 8 Mar 2011.

1. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

2. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Fun to imagine the XBox 360 still being MSFT's top console three years from now. Like using a PC from 2003 to play games on :p

3. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

How about a mouse and keyboard to play on the new xbox... that'd shift me away from PC then - much cheaper to play games in the long run!

4. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Eurogamer have a leaked spec list which they say matches up with what trusted insiders have told them already.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Octo core? Really?

I'd be surprised at that.. Maybe quad, or perhaps a hyper-threaded-esq quad?

And GPU? 12 Cores? Really.....

Some of that looks realistic, some looks pie-in-the-sky, unless they plan on selling the units for a massive loss for them to be at an attractive retail price.

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Both MS and Sony are using AMDS new "Jaguar" CPU's which are apparently their new low power "Atom" style processors for entry level notebooks.

What does looks good for us PC users though is both consoles are using the same PC based hardware so we should see better cross platform support.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Need to compare bandwidth of 128bit 700MHz GDDR3 to ~1866 (guess) 64bit DDR3. The limitation of this system is the Uncore/Northbridge and how well it shifts and balances the data between GPU and CPU threads to memory and IO.
    Since each modules has 4 CPU cores, then you have to look at it as DUAL-quadcore. Why? Because you have no snoop filter and memory bandwidth is limited. You'll have memory thrashing if one process has to work between CPU modules as there is no L3 cache. If you look at IBM's Power7, which can use up to 4-threads per CPU core (4-way SMT), whereas this CPU is a quick and dirty approach that's transistor heavy, because SMT takes extensive qualification. The TDP is therefore higher, which means they have had to drop the clock-speed to compensate.

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Jan 2013
  8. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

They should do that burst thing the newer intel chips do so it only kicks in to full power when you play a game, the rest of the time it uses lower power.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Ps4 is ment to be due this year if new Xbox is not here till 2015 would struggle the same way the ps3 did.

I've Owned all consoles this gen but Microsoft is really in danger of loosing me.

Lack of big exclusives and no intrest in playing another gears of war or halo.

Specs I've seen doing the rounds

8 core CPU AMD
    Xbox 13core Gpu ddr3 ram
    Ps4 18core Gpu gdrr4 ram
    Xbox will have 8gb ram 3gb reserv
    Ps4 3.5gb 0.5 gb reserv

There the rumours I have seen.

Not sure why a console needs 8gb of ram current consoles have about 256 mb.

Ms using esram instead of grdd4 is a mistake.

Also wonder if Sony releases there online stuff for nothing as ps3 is will microsoft be forced to do the same with the new Xbox.

As Xbox live cost does slowly but surely add up. If you owned the console since launch with gold you have paid out alot of cash in that time more than you paid for the console in the first place.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's an inconsistent platform, they only need to hit 30FPS and it requires extensive testing on power monitoring and control across the chip.

'x core GPU' is not the only measurement sorry. GPU performance is dependent on a) cores b) core type: VILW5/GCN/Next Gen c) memory bandwidth d) NORTHBRIDGE/UNCORE PERFORMANCE or the interconnectivity efficiency between CPU-GPU-Memory.

They are in-equivalent. The Xbox already has eDRAM and eSRAM is the same GPU frame buffer, only bigger. It's memory bandwidth saving if used correctly. What we need to note is the frequency of the DDR3. DDR4 is simply not available in the quantity required for these consoles yet and the CPU memory controllers are not yet ready (they would have had to be ready since 2009).

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Jan 2013
  11. rollo

rollo Modder

It's Gpu memory on ps4 that is ment to be gdrr4 with Xbox on gddr3

The 680 7970 both have gddr5 memory interfaces.