1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will a decent mouse and mat improve my piss-poor skills?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zut, 7 Nov 2006.

1. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

I recently got BF2142, and Im trying to get into the whole multiplayer thing, but I'm really really bad and its starting to get me down! :sigh:

Often I will find that I just can't get the mouse to go where I want it to. It is sometimes sluggish, sometimes skips around, and at times it seems not to move at all. Even taking my poor skills into account, this doesn't seem right to me. Do you think this is some kind of mental problem (denial perhaps?!), or is it possible that my mouse is holding me back? I know Im going to have to work on my aim, but Im hoping this might improve things!

I currently have an ageing Gyration Ultra wireless mouse, and a dodgy 50p cloth mouse mat.

I had thought of getting a Logitech G7 and some kind of fancy mouse mat, but Im not well endowed with cash at the moment, and if its not going to make me any better at killing people then I'd rather save my money.

Does anone have any advice?

Cheers :)

2. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Yep, sounds like you're having mouse problems. If you don't have tons of money to spend, I'd suggest going for the Logitech MX-518. It's a generation older than the new G5, and quite a bit less expensive, but it's still a great gaming mouse. I've had mine for most of a year, and I love it.

3. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Yep, agree.

Also, for a cheap mouse mat, I hear a teflon baking sheet taped to your (preferably perfectly flat) desk is a good option though I've never tried it myself. :)

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

How far away is the receiver from the mouse, as its an (older) wireless mouse it will be more sensitive to interference.

Cheap cloth mouse mats and LED/Laser mice dont tend to go together too well.

Try a textured surface (like a wooden desk) to see if that helps.

5. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

I have had to move the receiver quite close to keep it working. I used to have it about 2 feet away behind a TFT monitor, but recently I have had to move it closer so that its practially next to the mouse mat.

Plus I used to use it on my desk, but that is so old and cheap that the surface has started to wear away. The mouse barely works at all on that!

I might look into a cheaper wired mouse, although I'd still prefer a wireless one. Cheers guys.

6. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

mx 1000 FTMFW.

Pair it iwth a large cloth mousepad (xtrac ripper is a good one), and you're unstoppable.

7. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Judging by the last price I saw, anyway, I wouldn't really call the MX 1000 an inexpensive mouse. If you're going to spend that much money, might as well get a G5, G7, or the new VX Revolution (Which are really, really, sweet.)

8. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

I still prefer the mx510 - these can be found real cheap these days. Have two here and never let me down, although i'm still rubbish at gaming lol.