1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Will I ever be happy after glossy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GregTheRotter, 17 Feb 2012.

1. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I've got a glossy NEC 20WGX2, and have just ordered a Dell U2711. Problem is, I am worried I'll be disappointed with it. I don't know of any glossy screens that size, at the price I paid, that have the rep this one does.

I suppose I can always return it if I don't like it THAT much. For that price though (or what it started out at), surely, it should blow me away? :confused: Any thoughts??

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I've got a 24" glossy screen had it for years always thought it was great then I bought the Dell 27" tbh I'll take the Dell anyday

3. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Some manufacturers use thicker coats of AG which can leave a sparkle effect that can be off-putting to some people. Most of Dell's range of IPS displays have this type of strong AG coating, but the majority of people who use them do not believe it to be a significant issue, and think it's a manageable tradeoff for the much much reduced reflections.

My displays are half-matte (so have a thinner coating of AG), and I see 0 reflections and 0 sparkle effect. From my experience with the U2311, you will not think the sparkle effect is a significant issue and will get used to it very quickly (if you can even see it) and in fact will welcome the glare-free viewing experience.

I wouldn't ever go back to a glossy display unless I had a particularly light-managed environment, which most people do not have.

4. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Thanks, makes me feel a bit better :) I have however never been bothered by any reflections in my 20" NEC.

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I was quite put off by the grainy look on my HP ZR24W after coming from a glossy screen but I can't say I notice it now. Much better not to have any reflections for me personally.

6. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Why the hell would you want a glossy display? Matt screens are much better.

You'll be blown away by your new screen - enjoy it! :)

7. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

The reduced eye strain from a matte screen is worth any advantage a glossy screen has to offer.

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

This.

I hate glossy screens; nightmare in even moderate amounts of light on the screen. I wish manufacturers would get over this obsession with glossy screens. It's a bit like 16:9... wish they'd get over that fad, too.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The "sparkle effect" due to the AG coating, is only visible on my U2410 if I put white screen, I look too close to the screen. AND I set the brightness level at 80-100% brightness. The Dell U3011/2711/2410/2311H are SUPER bright. My monitor is at 0% brightness, and it's like 50% on most screens.

By default the monitor is set at 50%. I suggest to reduce it down to 0-30% based on where it's positioned with the window, and your window size.

Glossy is fine on small screens. But on large... I can never live with them. At worked I had a temporary (for 4 months) iMac (running Windows 7, of course).
    There is simply no comparison. I have to put the iMac to near max brightness to compensate the brightness. At the end of the day, my eyes hurts and are red. And it reflected everything.

In class I can see students always struggling with their glossy laptop. Either they pick specific spots in the room, or you can see they move the screen often, or put the screen at a high brightness level, killing their battery life. My laptop is non-glossy (like most business class systems.. well it is a business class system, my laptop), and it's always at 0-50% brightness, depending on the sun. Balcony during the day, I set it to 80-90%, to compensate the sun.

Anyway, going matte, I strongly believe is the best way, and worth any downsides, if any. If something bugs you from the switch, give it a week.

10. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Oh, I also like how punchy colours look with glossy screens :/. Would you say you can say the same thing can be said for the Dell?

11. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@Greg: glossy 27" IPS = Apple Cinema Display :). But i never understood why people like glossy displays. I want to see the picture, not myself in mirror.

12. GoodBytes

This is false. Colors will look just as good (on a screen such of this class).
    People have this miss conception, because they compare a crappy TN budget monitor with non-glossy surface, compared to a over saturated monitor TN panel (or an Apple display, because it's an IPS panel (not saying that it's super over saturated. This is mentioning just another point).

When you look at good consumer level screens such as these, you should get the same great color. Be sure to, once installed, to set your computer monitor to sRGB or Adobe RGB (based on your prefer.. I enjoy Adobe RGB), these are the 2 pre-color calibrated profiles (you'll have a report. KEEP THIS REPORT. You will need to return it with your money, or be charged a re-calibration/restock fee, because they don't have another print out). By Default the monitor is set to "Standard', which is more "store shelf settings" in the case it ever reach there. So visuals aren't great.

Once you install your U2711, Windows will detect it, and via Windows update get the ICC color profile. I suggest to unload this color profile if you use Adobe RGB, and use Windows default profile sRGB virtual profile. (See color management panel), for general purpose. But your experience may vary (newer revision, newer profile... I don't know. Also I have the U2410 and not the U2711. So just keep it in mind).

Just in case you don't know, the monitor and stand are heavy. I strongly suggest to take your time to install the monitor, and follow the box instruction on how to open the box properly, to avoid dropping or scratching the monitor.
    By default the VGA cable is already attached. I recommend to unscrew it and remove it before pulling it out of the box, if accessible, to avoid a potential accident (scratch or trip on the wire as you install it).

13. Trevor28

Trevor28 Where is the cow?

Matt all the way, glossy only looks good in the showroom - not so much in day to day use.

Anyway I hope you are happy with your new monitor.

14. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

It might take time, but with the support of friends and the community you should be able to overcome the trauma of your glossy screen, and be happy once again :hehe:.

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure you'll love your new monitor.

15. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Yeah I love my glossy MBP, if you want a 27" glossy then get the Apple LED Cinema Display, around the same price as the Dell.

16. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Not quite the same. The Dell I bought for £550 on sale from amazon (although I have a feeling it's been that price for quite some time), while the apple goes for £863, way off my budget considering I'll need a new graphics card soon.

17. GoodBytes

Also the Apple display only has brightness, via additional crappy software to install on the system. AND have nothing in term of features compared to the U2711.

You are MUCH better off, staying with your current NEC screen.

18. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Eh? :/ I;ve already bought the Dell. I'll see how I feel once it's here.

19. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

You'll love the U2711. You have very little to worry about :). Enjoy the large resolution.

20. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Well over here in Amurrricah it's $999 for the dell and $999 for the Apple, though the Dell website price is $899. Didn't know the price difference was so drastic across the pond. No reason to go for the Cinema Display, then, at that price.