1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Will there be much difference? IPS vs. TN

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheMadDutchDude, 1 Jun 2018.

1. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Yo!

I’ve been trying to convince myself that I really want to spend upwards of $800 on a fast G Sync IPS monitor... but when the opportunity comes around for you to grab the TN variant for a good $300+ cheaper... it really begs the question: is it worth it?

I’ve been put off by the worse colour production, though for my photography work (also a WIP), I’ll end up keeping my IPS display as a secondary screen to make sure that I still get that accuracy.

Am I being a mad man and being a snob wanting the better panel, or will the TN panel be more than fine and make me happy to have the $300+ left in my PayPal spending pot...?

Help me, fellas! This dilemma needs to be figured out when I have my i7 collection sold. Speaking of which, if anyone wants any i7 3770 (4x) or 3770T (1x) chips, hit me up and I’ll open my thread again. Open until Thursday next week!

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I went from a IPS LG 27UD68P to a TN Predator XB271HA, I personally found the extra panel speed and G-Sync FAR more enjoyable than the better colours and extra pixels.

I never understand the viewing angle argument for PC monitors, seen as I don't play games at 178°... But maybe that's just me. If I was going to buy/build a new rig, I wouldn't hesitate for 1 second to go for the cheaper TN option and put the extra money into the other hardware (or pizza).

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  3. TheMadDutchDude

Thank you! That’s what I was after.

Time to hunt eBay for a bargain. It still has to be the ROG panel, but at least I can grab a TN now. :)

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

There's a lot of misinformation (or misunderstanding) about the various panel technologies and the pros and cons of each. Suffice to say, the main problem with TN is not one of colour accuracy but rather colour shift, meaning that large areas of flat colour take on a gradient effect. It's much worse on large panels, so bear that in mind when you decide what size to go for.

Here's a pic that shows what you'll be met with (same image on both panel technologies). If this doesn't bother you, or if it's more important to have the high refresh rate, then by all means go TN.

[​IMG]

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  5. TheMadDutchDude

The screen sits far enough away for me to be able to view it straight on, so the shift isn’t too much of an issue from what I can think.

I know of the difference between the two, but I do appreciate the explanation. :D

I have been researching and I’m almost dead set on the Dell S2716DG(R) that comes in at $430 brand new. 1440P, 144/165Hz, G Sync, the works. Very hard to say no...