1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Will you buy GTX 480/GTX 470?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Synay, 28 Feb 2010.

?

Will you buy new Nvidia card?

1. GTX 480

14 vote(s)
    11.6%
  2. GTX 470

9 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. No

59 vote(s)
    48.8%
  4. Not sure yet

43 vote(s)
    35.5%
  5. GTX 480 SLI (x2 or 3)

8 vote(s)
    6.6%
  6. GTX 470 SLI (x2 or 3)

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

First of all, can I really be called an idiot for saying definite yes? It is only logical to see that for what we know so far about those GPUs they will be much faster then GTX 285. If that so, then we can already suspect (more or less with some accuracy) that it will be faster/much faster then that. So upgrade is viable for some, and for others even more: Folding@Home will greatly improve as well. You can get 5870 for £300+, and so you can GTX 285 (if you can find one, which is only logical if Nvidia is about to release new gen graphics). At the other hand we have dual GPU 5970 which you can get for £500+. Logicaly we can assume, that new Nvidia cards will not be more expensive then that or no one would buy them. In fact they have to be quite much cheaper as even GTX 480 is a single GPU solution.
    Now, Nvidia was always more expensive then ATI by some margin, and based on those facts I could presume we could expect price mark between £380 to £420 on GTX 480 and £320 to £360 on GTX 470 (as was the case of price differences between GTX 280 and GTX 275 on the beginning).
    For the case of ATI slashing down their prices, they never do that and they won't do that now. Prices may go down by maybe £20, if we are lucky, but that's it.
    Concluding, if the performance of new Nvidias will be as good as they say (or anywhere near that) I would say that if prices would be around what I wrote, it will be good value anyway.

2. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

no. my next card will probably be a 5870 + another monitor (to make 3). eyefinity mmmm

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I will not buy one. Or two. Or even three, for that matter. As long as I have only one 1920x1200 screen, I just don't need anything fast, also there are 1000 and 1 better ways to spend money than on PC-hardware :) Grab the mid-range option and get stuff when it no longer is brrrrrrand new.

Still looking forwards to the competition and some REAL facts and results.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

unknowns flame has been removed in the above post.

5. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Launch prices are for people with more money than sense, i would wait for the price to start falling.

Also keep an eye on ati to see if the prices of their cards go down.

6. numanoid

numanoid Modder

just an opinion, but i think there going to be too expensive, deffo wont be bang for buck prices

7. Furioushamster

Furioushamster Is there an officer, problem?

They ARE going to be expensive if the rumors about the ridiculously low-yielding wafers are true.

Yes, new technology at the start of a products' life is expensive, we all know that. But it's not like these cards won't get any attention from the guys who upgrade their systems every other month. It depends on what you want, and what you want to spend. There's people who'll buy a new midrange card every 12 months or so, and there are those who will upgrade their ultra-high-end rig every two years.

We've seen it numorous times, and it just repeats itself over and over again: back in the FX5900 era, all the way over to the 6800 ULTRA's, in to the X1950XTX's and 7900GTXs. No one will forget the G80-era in terms of high prices, think of the 8800 ULTRA, which retailed for almost 800 dollars a piece. Most users who got ahold on one card decided to run multiple cards, dual and triple setups. I think ATI has much better products on offer now, and think that they're ahead of nvidia since the HD3*** series in terms of price/real-world performance.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2010
  8. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

Aye, sorry folks, idiot was a bit strong.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against fermi or nvidia.

2nd of November
    And to some extent I agree with you about folding.

last week

19th November
    And DX11 compute may well muddy the waters about F@H.

I may well get fermi.
    My system as is probably dual fermi capable.

But I can't see the logic in to commiting to an item at unknown cost, of unknown performance.

Once you know them, by all means make a commitment.

It's like all the hype and clique that surround apple stuff. People want to commit to it, even when the don't even know what the next big "IT" is going to be.
    I can't see the logic.

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I like to wait, if only because things will be cheaper by that time anyways.

And because a HD4850 --> HD5870 or HD5850 is a 100% increase and I can be patient enough to wait until the prices hit about $200.

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

that's not what warrior said elton.. you gotta man up XD

11. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I answered "maybe" because I don't know how well the cards will perform ...

I am coming to the time to upgrade again and I need to know which flagship card from which company will be top-of-the-foodchain.

Any BT or CPC staff able to tell us when the NDA is lifted for the Nvidia cards?

12. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Quite impressed with the ammout of 8800's soldiering on!
    I too wont be upgrading my GPU untill the summer. My 8800 AMP has serverd me well for many years, but i do fancy some DX 11 Titles and. But it all swings on Price/performance/and efficiancy at the end of the day.
    Saying i'll buy a card that i have no specs for isnt really that sensible.

I have no preferance Red or Green team.

13. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

yep, 8800 needs an upgrade and like 3d gaming = new nvidia card.

14. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

I'll probably get one eventually , can't see me ugrading though till at tleast the end of 2010.. By then prices should be right for me...

15. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

What do you mean plans with this card? Its a PCI-E x16 card that slots into your computer and renders images, runs cuda and is excellent at floating point operations. What do you think they plan to do with it?

For more info CPC explained the archetecture behind it and if you check Tomshardware, theres a prediction/analyse on the current market and possible future plans of ATI, Nvidia, AMD and Intel

link

As for me no point in upgrading. HD4870 is more than enough for my 22" and I want to upgrade my processor and get an SSD(if prices drop) before getting a new graphics card. Might pick one up when next generation is released tho if they are cheap. Always like Nvidia card warranties would like to play with cuda sometime. Tho tri-monitor eyefinity > 3D anyday in my eyes.

16. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

I'm not a fanboi of either team, however ...I'm using a XFX 4890 + accelero cooler. I see no reason why this card wont be good for atleast the next 18 months... it being a game of crysis type graphical complexity needing DX11 to require an upgrade.

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Until we see real cards in the wild I don't think anyone but fanboys or serious folding mentalists can say whether or not they'll be buying a GT100.

18. Redsnake77

Redsnake77 Useless Idiot

My two 8800GTX's were getting a bit long in the tooth, and my 680i motherboard just failed. So I'm taking the leap to an i7 1366. But with all the waiting for nvidia to give give us any substantive info on the GF100 and the rumours of poor yields, big hot and power hungry GPU's, expected prices around the £400 mark I've jumped to ATI and ordered two Sapphire 5850 Toxics. Not to mention if 5870's and 5890's are too long for my case and GF100 is gonna run hotter how big is gonna be? 470's will still be more expensive than 5850's, and if performance is no better that 8-12% better (there's a lot of talk about 3-4% better because of reduced clocks because of heat) then nvidia are going to struggle to compete on performance per £/$. It wasn't until the 260 B came out that nvidia got close in the DX10 gen, that level of card on GF100 isn't expected until 2011. That's a long wait.

If the new cards are expected to released at PAX? on 26th March, surely Bit Tech / CPC must have retail samples by now. Nvidia should let them talk now (at least some substantive hints) or people will lose interest, like I have.

19. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

20. Redsnake77

Redsnake77 Useless Idiot

Yep, I've read them, but they're hardly indicative of what will be universally available, and there's nothing solid on clock speeds, temps, powerdraw, performance or price is there? If we could just hear from two or three reputable sites, that have retail hardware in their hands, even it's just a "we've got it, we're testing it", and either "you won't be disappointed" or "don't bother waiting, it'll be too expensive to force ATI to drop prices, it doesn't perform that much better in games, and you'll need an industrial aircon unit to feed your case with enough cool air". Less than four weeks to go and we still know no solid facts about the vital statistics. I'm sick of all the rumour and inuendo, give us something solid nvidia, because you're only hurting yourselves. I loved my 8800GTX's, they were the best buy I've ever made. But I'm not being held to ransome with some guessing game. If the rumours of the pricing are correct, ATI wont drop their prices to compete, they wont need to, unless performance is 20-50% better than the 58xx series cards, and that's sounding less and less likely.