Windows Win 10 Creators update iso puzzle.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kronos, 24 Dec 2017.

1. Kronos

Kronos Another grumpy old git.

I am going to do a fresh install of Windows 10 shortly and I have created a USB ready for that purpose. I thought that while I was at it I could add the Creators update iso to the same USB so that i can install directly after Windows to.
    But here is the dilemma the USB is 16Gb after sticking Win 10 on it I am told I have 11Gb, the creators update it says is just over 4Gb yet I am told it is too big for the destination drive.

What am I missing?

2. Corky42

Corky42 What did walle eat for breakfast?

IIRC there's a bug with Windows where it get's confused with USB drives formatted in FAT32 and space remaining versus actual space and actual file sizes, have you tried copying another largish file like a 1GB-500Mb movie to it temporarily so it changes the available space and doesn't confuse Windows.

Either that or you're hitting the 4GB size limit for single files on FAT32, if so you'll probably need to reformat the drive as either exFAT of NTFS.

Last edited: 24 Dec 2017
  3. Kronos

I have found another 16Gb USB and using Rufus have managed to mount the ISO which will do. Thanks mate.

4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Erm. Why don’t you just use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to download an iso? It’ll automatically be the very newest Creators Edition Fall Update version and you can use Rufus to burn that to a USB.

Then you can install latest version direct with far less hassle?

I know this works, I’ve done it with at least the last five versions of W10.

5. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

windows tool will make bootable usb for you, you don't need anything else to do it?

6. Kronos

I moved this to the Windows 10 thread and have already done what you suggested, thanks.