1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win 10 / Outlook 2013 Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Arboreal, 4 May 2017.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I was asked by my wife's friend yesterday to help with her Outlook setup that went funny a week ago.
    Her husband has early onset dementia, and may have 'played' with the PC...

They had 5 sky email addresses collected by Outlook 2013 with folders and filters apparently, all was well until last week.

She went to open Outlook, and it asked for a password, which it had never done before. She tried obvious ones that her husband may have used, but no joy.
    She then seemingly set up another instance of Outlook, and there are no email accounts associated with it.

Apparently, she had 2 1hr support/remote assistance sessions with Microsoft that achieved nothing.

The email addresses and passwords are available to reload if needs be, along with the Sky settings.

I found some PST files on the PC, and tried to get Outlook to open the main one, which it said I had no access to.
    Tried running Outlook as admin, but still no joy.

I don't want to screw up her email history, so gave up at that point.

Any easy pointers?

If not, I'll pass her on to the local professional

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

question 1, what do you mean microsoft support, not a phone scam?

2. check mail profiles in control panel there is probably another profile in there which was the original one?

3. Arboreal

Thanks, that's handy

I think that she contacted MS, but a good question.

I am passing tomorrow, and will look at the mail profiles if she's at home. Not running Win 10 myself, I'm still not familiar with where everything is compared to Win7, and the Win + key commands that I don't use enough.

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

It sounds like maybe they have made a new mail profile and set it to be the default? worth checking anyway.

go to control panel (winkey + r to get run, type control :) ), change it to small icons in the top right and choose mail. Click show profiles - if there is more than one try changing the default profile to a different one and open outlook and see if the accounts are there.

Have you logged into the accounts online to see if the emails are inside? Problem with pop boxes is sometimes the mail client is configured to pull email out of the mailbox and not leave it on the server - which would mean the only place the email existed would be on the computer.

5. Arboreal

Thanks Margo, that's sound advice.

I didn't get to look at profiles, as Win 10 threw me a bit, nor did I view the email another way, but definitely worth a shot.

I know that she was talking about POP, which would suggest that problem of mail being collected and 'lost' is likely to come into play.

That's why I was looking at the PST files, recalling that if POP was in use, there would be no mail on the server to recover.