1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win 7 OEM

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by benji2412, 2 Feb 2012.

1. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

Just to check, if I have an OEM licence (as I am the system builder) am I able to install win 7 on the machine but re-install later without an issue (for example if I have to format and re-install on the same machine). I seem to remember in the past with XP if you tried to use the licence key again on the same machine after a format + install it wouldn't activate it.

Thanks in advance.

2. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

If it is the same equipment the YES you can reinstall without problem. We do it all the time at work with XP and Win 7. It gets a bit grey when it comes to upgrades though, memory, HDD, Graphics are OK (I think don't quote me on it though) Mobo and CPU maybe not so much. Someone more qualified may be more help though.

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You can reinstall it on the same machine again if you need to.

Although technically as the System Builder you can't use OEM on a machine you use yourself (as you have to supply it to the end user)

4. benji2412

That's fine it's for a local business, I assume the key is linked to the MB model etc? This should hopefully just be sat in an office for 5+ years, so it shouldn't be likely to die and need a new MB/CPU and thus licence.

You don't know where I can get office 2010 home and business from for a decent price do you? Sub £150 would be nice, I can't use my student powers either as it's for a company.

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Trade Price is £149.04 + VAT & that's from a disty.

You're going to struggle getting it at less than £150

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You can if you sale yourself the computer.

7. Mojo

Mojo Well-Known Member

could you not get a microsoft action pack subscription *whistles*

8. benji2412

Please continue sir......

9. GoodBytes

It's a 330$ US yearly subscription (no physical media), 469$ per year if you want the disks, to get access to a variety of very expensive software from Microsoft:
    Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010
    Windows 7 Professional
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise and Windows Web Server 2008 R2
    Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Standard
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
    Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 Enterprise
    Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard

Here are the restrictions:

10. saspro

saspro IT monkey

But you can't sell those licenses.

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you can't, it has to be an unrelated third party, you cant even "sell" it to your boss, unless you are in a country which states consumers can buy oem (germany)

you can re-install oem on the same machine, you can even change your motherboard for a like for like, but you can't upgrade your motherboard, that constitutes a new machine. (you can but you are not licensed)

12. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Related Thread hijack - sorry. Rich if I built a machine and used OEM windows that was then used in our company, you're telling me that is in breach of the EULA or am I misreading something.

13. GoodBytes

Actually, i just recalled. Rich is kinda right.
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/is-it-ok-to-use-oem-windows-on-your-own-pc-dont-ask-microsoft/1561

The problem is the vague language used on the EULA of the OEM license.

But, as you build a computer under a company name, you are therefore not the system the builder, but a company (whether this company name is registered or not) instead. And you use this system as you own, which you purchase for a fee of 0$, or for the price of all the parts, to you.

In other words, if Microsoft knocks on your door (BTW, I think Microsoft has a little bit better things to do right now, then be interested in you), Just have a bill saying "Dancingbear84 Computer Services, A name you can trust!", with the price of the computer, or free, which is paid for to you.

Then again, I am no lawyer.

14. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

that is correct.

with oem licensing, the system builder is the one who issues a license to the buyer, as an employee, you cannot issue a license to your boss

nor can you issue a license to a family member.(unless you do it through your system building business, which then as goodbytes said you are not the system builder, the business is)

but to do it properly and comply with the license properly, it all has to be done with the pre installation kit (you create an answer file which contains company information)

i'm no lawyer/solicitor either, but if you go here you can find all the information relating to licensing for system builders.

Last edited: 3 Feb 2012