1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win 7 -> Server 2012, retaining JBOD

Discussion in 'Software' started by Picarro, 19 Apr 2013.

1. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Hello guys

Currently I have 4 harddrives linked up in JBOD on my Win 7 server. Windows 7 is installed on a separate 250 gig harddrive, which is not a part of the JBOD. I have been so lucky as to acquire a free version of Server 2012, and I want to install that one on the server instead.

What will happen to the JBOD array when I format the harddrive with Win 7, and install Server 2012. Is the JBOD information stored on the harddrives themselves, so it will make no difference, or will I ruin the JBOD configuration?

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Have you got a hardware RAID controller or are you using a spanned volume in Windows?

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Spanned volume in Windows, no hardware RAID controller :(

I know it's a shitty setup, it will be replaced this summer by a Synology DS413J with 4x3tb drives..

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I'm pretty sure it will be fine, the data for what drives are in the pool are on those drives. I have updated os with windows raid before and usually you have to do nothing, or maybe it will show up as a 'foreign disk' and will offer you the choice to import it.

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Ah okay. Well I think I have found a way to try it atleast. I have an old harddrive I will swap in, install Server 2012 on, and if it recognizes the drives - GREAT! If not, I can swap back the Windows 7 drive.

6. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

But you will miss the fun of storage spaces/pools in 2012 :)

I'd back the data up and set it up again from scratch.

7. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

There's around 4tb's of DVD's, and I have no room to back them up! I would have to delete all of it, and rerip it, and that is really not something I would be looking forward to!