1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win 7 Student Deal

Discussion in 'Software' started by damienVC, 21 Oct 2009.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well I downloaded and installed (although I haven't yet activated thanks to network adapter issues) with a retail disc, not an upgrade, a full-on professional disc.

I'll let you know if it activates once I manage to get my network adapter working (damn you abit with your un-updated drivers!). Thankfully I've found out it's based on an Atheros chip, so I've got a slim chance with the generic drivers.

[edit] Sorted it thanks to this thread. (My adapter is an Abit airpace, their drivers are now 3+ years old and thoroughly broken on Win7, even though they work on Vista just fine...)

Activated just fine - I ordered a 32bit upgrade (without even considering that 64bit might not be as broken after the fiasco of XP x64), installed from a retail 64 bit disc without quibbles and now I'm set. :D

Awesome.

Oh, and if anyone has any trouble with 64 bit driver signing then have a look here for the group policy editor location. :thumb:

I'm also loving the cheeky Alt+Tab glass thing, whatever it's called. That's pretty spesh.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2009
  2. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

btw I get this message when unpacking the files from the downloaded.exe

[​IMG]

for your information I have full control over the folder with the files that were unpacked I get this message

[​IMG]

P.S what is the size of a bootable setup file

3. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

got mine, I'm about halfway through burning the .iso atm

4. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Win7-HP-Retail-xx-xx-xxx file is corrupted you need to make a bootable disk out of the expandedSetup folder

p.s. ~3.1GB

s1n1s likes this.
  5. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

K thanks i'll try this when I get home

6. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Does anyone know if the 'upgrade' is actually an upgrade? I bought the Win7 Home Premium retail off amazon for £65, and it installed fine off the DVD with the key that came with it (obviously).

A friend had a windows XP system, he got the Home Premium upgrade for £30 student deal, burnt it onto a disk and did a fresh install using the CD key that was emailed to him, again, no problem.

A second friend (with a legal version of Vista) bought the £30 Home Premium student deal, tried doing an in-place upgrade, which failed and went to a bluescreen, leaving the hard disk full of junk. He formatted the drive, put my DVD in, installed off that, and typed in the 'upgrade' key that was emailed to him, and again, it worked fine. However, there's no way the installer could have known he had a valid Vista install. Does that mean that the 'upgrade' requirement that you've already got an old version of windows is just based on trust?

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm not really sure tbh, with my install it did format the drive for me, and detected a previous windows installation, but it couldn't have validated it as a genuine install.

Either way it's awesome. :D

8. Millusdk

Millusdk What's a Dremel?

I have mine through MSDN AA, so had access to Windows 7 Professional since I started at my university in August :D

9. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

I got the Windows 7 Professional as part of the student deal and after I had the same failure as thousands of other people including Horizon who posted earlier on in this topic, I followed the instructions to create an ISO out of the expanded setup folder it created and it must have extracted ALL the files even though it came up with that error as I installed it with no problems, it activated fine, and even though I ordered the 'Upgrade' version of Windows 7 Professional, I booted from the DVD I created installed Windows 7 with no prompts about it needing/wanting any media to verify the upgrade procedure and it kept my Windows XP installations intact so now I'm dual booting with Windows XP Professional and Windows 7 Professional with no problems.

So even though it's supposed to be an upgrade, you can do a FULL clean install with no prompts to verify you had a previous OS installed, so it seems the 'Upgrade version' is actually a Full Retail version or it appears to be!

Excellent :thumb:

10. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

S1n1s, that error happened to me too, just burn it to a disc, you'll be fine with that.

To burn it to a disc see here and here.

Worked for me ;)

Also, if, during a clean install, it says this is an upgrade key, just do the same trick as with Vista upgrades, install with no key, then run an upgrade from inside Win7 using the upgrade key and that worked for me (Pro64bit here).

Hope that helps ;)

Akava likes this.
  11. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

My expandedsetup is only 3.01GB not 3.1GB I have extracted at least 5 times same size each time.

p.s I have Windows 7 Home premium 64bit

[​IMG]

Don't worry works fine now thanks

would be smart if they made a sticky thread for help with installation problems

12. Jambo72

Jambo72 Playstuff.net

Well I have downloaded everything but for some reason was not sent a product key by email :(

I have checked the emails I have over and over so I'm sure it is not there.

13. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

It should be in the same email telling you where to download the file from, at least, mine was.

14. Ravenheart

Yeah it is, the serial was in the E-Mail I got that tells you where to go to download it, should be the same for everyone.

15. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

When I log back in to get download details, and key etc.... all I get is:

"We will contact you with more information regarding your eligibility to the Windows 7 Student Offer within 1 – 2 weeks"

WTF?

16. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

They obviously don't think you're a student and need to confirm, i did get asked for my university information, but never entered the details then still got the serial key :S

17. numanoid

numanoid Modder

i downloaded mine and that was an upgrade, put win 7 64 bit over vista 64 bit with no problems at all, just so straight forward i was amazed lol
    take care all

18. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Oh well... I'll have to wait until they snoop then. Good job I have it already thanks to Pre-order. I just wanted a second copy for next to nothing in case I build another machine.

19. Ravenheart

Was it the Home Premium version you downloaded or the Professional version? Because mine was supposedly only an upgrade version as well but it let me do a clean install no questions asked.

What I did was I kept XP as my main OS on my 1st hard drive, and after making an ISO out of the downloaded files I then booted from the DVD of Windows 7 Professional, chose the partition to install Windows on and about 35 minutes later it all worked (with no prompts asking me to provide any proof I had a previous OS installed or that I was eligible to upgrade) and after all that I was greeted with a boot menu that said "Older version of Windows" and "Windows 7" and all works flawlessly :thumb:

20. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Hate to bring back an old topic but me and my cousin are thinking of getting this deal cause of how cheap it is, we're both students but don't have a genuine copy of windows (cause we are big pirates argh) so is everyone saying if I bought the professional upgrade version for £30 I could install win7 without having another windows installation? If I REQUIRE a windows installation will my ungenuine copy of TinyXP be ok to use? Thanks for any help :)