1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Competition Win an Unreal Tournament 3 case mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Dec 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

Hi All,

I just want to say that I hear every single one of you that is complaining about this competition being UK-only. I have pushed for every competition on the site to be as worldwide as it possibly can be, because although we're a UK site, we recognise that our readership isn't just UK-based - that's the beauty of the Internet, as they say. Unfortunately this month, I'm in a situation where I need to decide where it's best to spend the money because these aren't the only competitions this month.

There's another, much bigger, competition coming very soon which will have a lot of great prizes, on top of the grand prize that will go to one lucky winner. Almost all of these are being paid for out of my budget that gets me, Rich, Joe and Brett to events and they will all be shipped worldwide. We're actually choosing not to go to a bunch of Christmas parties so that we can pay for that contest to be a worldwide one.

Tim

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

^ Nice one, Tim ^

Was one of the parties a trip down to London with three or four mankinis and a camcorder?

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

I hope not :worried:

4. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

why do those Americans complain about UK only when us UK finally got a competition to our own?

all other competitions are hold in American and most of the time are US only, you don't see me complaining

5. Colt 45 J

Colt 45 J Aye

Hey bit-tech, why cant you do something like if its a UK only or something just collect it for us and then send it to us? that would be nice for us non-european readers..

6. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Unfortunately Colt45, that would put us liable for a breach of contract. I really understand where you're coming from and why it's so frustrating, and that it seems like we're ignoring some of our non-UK audience lately. But let me try to explain what goes on behind the scenes...

What you guys should try to understand is that it isn't just Midway or EA or whoever that approaches us. A lot of times, it's a specific regional division of that company's PR. These contests are designed to help promote a product to a certain market. It's advertising for the region, part of their marketing. Because of that, their UK side may not want to (or be able to afford to) be giving away its budget to promote the game to a French or American or Russian audience - they have PR in those countries (what would be ideal is that we hear from ALL of them!). And if the game doesn't succeed as well in the UK division while they're spending UK money on foreign markets, it's their heads on the chopping block.

Sadly, we're not really able to control these things, and we don't want to pass up a great offer to UK readers simply because other countries can't participate. And if we were to do something sly to circumvent it, companies may not be willing to deal with us ANYWHERE - we'd look untrustworthy, and that's the last thing YOU'd want us to be. After all, you trust our reviews, right? At this site, we strive to be trustworthy and fair in all our dealings.

I wish we could hear from ALL regions of a company, but unfortunately, despite our worldwide audience, many companies still look at the fact that we're headquartered in the UK and expect that division to deal with us. It's a shame, really, but it's a throwback to back when it was a print-based world instead of a digital world, and there were limits to circulation (whereas anybody in the world can easily access a website). The industry has frankly just not caught up quite yet - and you'd be surprised how many companies that really entails.

To compensate, we try really hard to offer lots of worldwide competitions. When WE design the competition, like Mod of the Month of Picture of the Month, we refuse to accept limited prize areas, even if it means we have to pay the shipping.

On the flipside (if it makes you feel any better), as part of Bit's staff, I experience an equal amount of frustration as a US person. Often, I talk to US PR reps, and sometimes I am told that I can't get part of the kit I need for a review or article because I need to be talking to the UK division (since our site is headquartered there). Then, contacting UK divisions, I hear that they can't pay to ship out to an American, and that I should contact the US division. It's as if the whole industry of marketing hasn't quite caught up to the idea of a WORLDWIDE web.

I hope this helps clear some of the confusion up. In a perfect world, there'd be no regions...but in the one we're in, I hope we're doing everything we can to reward our whole readership as best we can, without missing an opportunity to give anyone something extra. :) Of course, if anyone has additional suggestions without doing anything untoward, we're all ears - drop myself, Tim, or Hiren a PM or email anytime!

Last edited: 14 Dec 2007
  7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya I can understand, I mean was I upset sure (look at my prior post lol) but then when I thought about it, well its fair enough, I think there are more USA based contest then I have seen UK based so I certainly shouldnt complain, so props for the UK folk who get a nice contest to relish in. ^_^

8. Tibby

Tibby Technologic

My Copy of UT3 Arrived this morning!

Fraking sweet as. Cheers Hiren and Co. Although it takes about 2 sodding hours to install!
    Nice little Crimbo pressies, cheers guys.

9. Gundam God

Gundam God New Member

Got my copy before the email so couldn't for the life on me figure out where the hell it had come from. Fortunately the email arrived and now I know. :)

Thanks a lot bit-tech! :D

10. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

No problem guys, don't forget the enter the other competitions we have running!

11. xion

xion New Member

Thanks guys! I won goodies!! one uber-edition copy of UT3... Perfect for that post-xmas mini-lan party I have coming up, what better way to unwind after festive arguments than random frag-fests! :D

12. Salazaar

Salazaar New Member

Woohoo... I got the case in the post on Friday. It's luuurvly. And I'd forgotten I entered the competition!

Tags: Add Tags