1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WIN: Asus Xtreme Global Summit Competition Week 1

Discussion in 'ASUS' started by Sifter3000, 28 Jul 2009.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

good point...... never seen one for keyboard so didn't know they exist.

2. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

They do, they came standard with a lot of motherboards when keyboards were first making the transition from PS/2 to USB. Check a local computer store, they should have tons of them laying about :)

3. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Currently Rebuilding

Boards that work? All the last ones I've purchased have not worked well, and most died spectacularly-including one that blew off a PCI-E slot.

MSI got it right with the GD-70's layout, a few extra toys on it would have been worth the price the ASUS was, but the bad layout and twitchy clocking pretty much made me run far away.

4. stoff3r

stoff3r New Member

Universal expansion slots

Make an universal interface for all expansion cards. I suggest PCI-express x16 for all the slots, and people can just plug in whatever they like in any order they like.

This suggestion also relies on standardisation amongst other manufacturers, and Intel is probably the one deciding this one, but hey... my $0.02 :p

5. tonpal

tonpal New Member

I would like to see a modular approach to motherboards with the motherboard itself forming a network of buses into which modules could be plugged to give the user the functionality he or she desired. A breakdown of the modules could be something like:
    - CPU module
    - memory module
    - IDE/Sata module
    - PCI/PCIE module
    - USB/firewire module

A motherboard manufacturerer could offer a range of modules and users could configurer them to suit their needs.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's a bit complicated isn't it?

You've got to get some kind of motherboard form factor that can support such modular forms and a chipset that can cope with modular weirdness - from running one cpu, one memory and something like 6 storage modules to one cpu one storage and 6 memory modules...

7. deltaworld

deltaworld New Member

This is more to do with the customer overall satisfaction experience rather on the board, but I would like to see Asus improve their UK RMA procedure and turn around as my experience with a bad P5K Premium board is a 28 day RMA return that cost me £25 to return the board which had to get shipped to Czech. If there could be a shorter turn around so that the board be returned to the user in a shorter time frame, Ideally in less than a week and posting it to a centre locally where they didnt have to ship it abroad for repairs.

Also on board implementation and I know this has been mentioned before but to have a set of tools similar to Orthos or P95 that extensively test the stability of the motherboard for overclockers and if the motherboard fails the overclock then there would be an automatic fine tune feature where the board would intelligently increase one of the voltages systematically and retest until it automatically finds the most optimum heat to voltage power performance as well as being stable. In a way where it replicates what an experienced overclocker would do to get to the most optimum overclock setting.

In regards to collecting a large enough database of overclock settings but have a system where it vets the settings to being stable e.g. if the system has been running for 3 Hours+ on load and not failed a built in test then it qualifies as a stable oc.. Then build an index of suitable components and analyse that with the components and revisions and VIDs of processors to recommend what overclock that could easily work for you out of the box.

Drop PATA, PS/2 and FLOPPY.. there is no need for them anymore

I also liked the previously suggested BIOS controlled fans that would automatically adjust to the amount of heat generated and the amount of load the pc gets.

Also build and come up with a universal standard for motherboards for laptops. Something similar to how the ATX standard has become such a standard for desktops and ITX for media PC's we need ASUS to come up with PC builder's dream and come up with a new standard LTX 'Laptop TX' for custom built laptops, that is not proprietary and other board manufacturers and component manufacturers can create on this standard to bring the price of effective moddable and customisable laptops to the pc builder.

8. tonpal

tonpal New Member

You are probably right.

With a bit of imagination I am sure something could be engineered to fit into an ATX case. Creating a flexible bus or set of buses would be even more of a challenge.

We weren't meant to be too constrained by reality were we.

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

There are so many things to add to mainboards but one of the main things [no pun intended] has to be EFI. I mean how long have we been waiting for this already?!

Other than that I'd like to have some kind of cheap flash memory soldered to the board. And not just to the high-end boards but the middle segment as well.

I'll give this a good night of sleep and come up with more ideas tomorrow.

10. FaSMaN

FaSMaN New Member

Online overclocking database with Bios integration.

Its fairly easy to do in windows have a small application that on request uploads your current bios setting as well as CPU information (type,frequency, manufacture date) as well as other hardware info like RAM info etc...

The app will then download a top list that you can browse and compare with you current setup :)

Now for the Tricky part:

Bios Integration

A few kilobytes of the bios will have to be allocated for this or maybe a eeprom.

The app will then look for the closest matching specs to your own pc including CPU manufacture date ,stepping etc... and write the gathered info the the eeprom or bios.

Now when setting up your bios it will display this information gathered from the database example,when setting your FSB, and multiplier:

Current FSB: 800mhz {1300/1600}
    Multiplier: 8x {8x/7x}

What this would mean is your current FSB is at 800mhz, the averidge according to the database is 1300mhz and the highest ever recorded was 1600mhz (yea these figures are 100% made up), and because this is from the database and is a very close match to your own CPU you then know what to work with, for instance they clue that the highest clock rate ever achieved on this processor was done by dropping the multiplier down to 7 instead of 8, you can the try and match that :p, very useful indeed and because its in the bios you don't have to boot to windows to check.

11. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

I would like to see upgradable and interchangable heatsinks for the boards (perhaps a range made available)
    So you could select/swap out and buy/upgrade the heatsinks to suit your own tastes.
    Would be great if Asus had a range of heatsinks available that could fit on multiple boards.

12. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Member

i would love a very simple but very effective addition to a modern motherboard that has been bugging me for a long time- manual fan speed controllers in the form of small potentionometors or on/on switches built onto the motherboard, or even the back panel that are adjustable on the fly- fan controllers are ugly (usually) and cause a lot of cabling nightmares.

also, i would like asus engineers to take into consideration that as hardware becomes hotter running and power hungry, more fans are required, with the preferred method for attaching extra fans being the motherboard, so at least 4 fan headers should be provided, with connectors that are close to where the fans would be positioned to enable cable tidying.

13. JonWortley

JonWortley New Member

Good ideas there.... my shot(s)

1. Some holes in the motherboard so I can route temp sensors , EPS12v, front panel audio etc round the back and through without messing up airflow. Don't have to be too big!

2. A warning about or option to load default BIOS settings rather than just doing it after a timeout (I hit the power button whilst installing a fan and just turned it off, bios thought over clocking had failed I presume) and messing up my windows install and breaking my raid set etc.

3: USB / firewire etc headers at the edge of the board

4: A seperate, optional(?) daughterboard with all little low bandwidth connectors on it? USB, system/case panel stuff, audio etc so you can gently pull it out and sort out a little cable job rather than using tweezers / forceps and a torch.

14. PaulGreyhead

PaulGreyhead New Member

How about a small, good quality screen or even a touch screen display, which could be placed on a desk (for example it could sit in front of a keyboard, so it would need to look good too). The screen would be connected to the motherboard, and would be able to show any voltage on the board, clock settings, mem settings, all temperatures etc etc. Maybe scroll through different screens showing sections like temps, then one for voltages and currents, CPU settings, memory settings, fan speeds etc.
    Using a touch screen you could set it up to show fan speeds, and also enable the speeds to be changed from the screen.
    Have an overclocking section where the user can choose settings, which would be implemented after a restart. Or something!

Forgot to mention above, I'd like a percentage please if you put this into production :)

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Jul 2009
  15. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Active Member

Asus already has this, lookup the OC Palm. Small colour screen, used to manage overclocking and monitoring voltages.

EDIT : 500th post !

16. PaulGreyhead

PaulGreyhead New Member

Ah poop! :wallbash:
    I knew it was a good idea though :rolleyes:

Thanks for letting me know.

17. Argonaut123

Argonaut123 New Member

Jumpers
    I would like bigger sized jumpers that are in easily accessible places as I get sick of having to use tweezers and then hunting around the case for when I drop them. I would like them brightly coloured so I find them quickly. If they can't be bigger in size they could had a groove around the circumference for the tweezers to grip, meaning it will be less likely to drop them when removing/replacing them.

18. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

A little jumper-button combo, to act as a reset and power switch, so we can more easily test motherboards out of the cases without either having to hook it up to the case which is fiddly and annoying at the best of times, or find something metal to stick between the power pins ;)

19. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Member

1) Full hardware fan control and software:
    Fully programmable fan control linked to components internal sensors for all fan headers would be an absolute godsend. But it also has to have the software to back it up.

I’d use the mCubed tBalancer and its control software as a standard. Maybe even have one fan header specified for pump control? With the extra space the P55 affords it would be the perfect thing to fill the Northbridge’s place. The RoG boards already have temp probe jacks as well so it would fit well.

2) Improved control software:
    Much of the bundled manufacturer’s software with motherboards is terrible. It usually bloated with a useless, garish interface and very narrow in its scope. Even then they usually just don’t work.

I see that TurboV has gone a ways addressing this but I’d still say that AMD Overdrive is the benchmark here. Simple, comprehensive, lightweight and no garish interface. You could even use CPU-ID as a start point. This would tie in perfectly with the hardware fan control.

3) Heatsinks and cooling that account for tower CPU coolers:
    On higher end boards, it’s almost certain that there will be a large tower style CPU heatsink or waterblock on it. Chipset and power cooling that took this into account would be very nice. I’d say DFI and EVGA lead the way here.

Special mention must be made of the previewed Maximus III Formula and it ‘NB’ heatsink. It blocks the very useful top 1x slot. Why would you do this while the P6T Deluxe accounts for it?

4) Energy saving that works while overclocking:
    I suppose this links in with the better hardware monitoring and control software. Would be nice if it could link in with GFX power too.

If it's all put together properly having a hotkey that switches between user definable profiles of hardware, power and fans on the fly would be sweet (eg, monster overclock > 24/7 overclock > hi-def vid viewing > web-browsing).

5) No onboard audio on high end boards:
    Supply a discount voucher for a Xonar instead (with a bigger discount for higher end cards). They are far superior to onboard and anyone who buys a high end motherboard is probably a gamer and has their own anyway.

Removing the FD and IDE ports would be nice too. I boubt anyone going for this kind of hardware still uses them. Win7 will probably render XP obsolete so the FDD wont be needed for RAID anymore.

6) Some kind of integrated rear IO backplate:
    They are damn annoying to install and take out. Sometimes they don’t even line up well.

7) 'Apps store' for Express Gate:
    Express Gate was a feature with huge potential for HTPC’s but flopped because of the closed platform and limited functionality. Maybe an iPhone ‘apps store’ style certification process could be made to develop the platform while alleviating the security risks?
    There could be a BIOS option to boot straight to Express Gate or normally press a F-key on POST.

===

Angled ATX connectors are a neat idea too. :thumb:

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

From the suggestions some of you guys are coming up with, maybe you should buy DFI boards... :p

One request I would make is to continue the looks of the Maximus II line, I remember seeing the Formula and just being totally awestruck.